Driving from Indy to Louisville, how bad is it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Gonna make a run to Louisville and unfortunately I'll be hitting the border right around evening rush hour. How bad is it right now? I read something about "the big squeeze" due to bridge construction currently happening. Any alternate routes which might be better than trying to stay on I65 south?

Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County
    You could check out the 265 route through New Albany, or if ya wanna see some of God's Country, 421 to cross the river at Madison, then continue 321 to 71.

Or 65 to 50 to 421 to 71.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    It seems to me that the I64 bridge is getting more jams up right now, I guess most folks decided to use that one and avoid the downtown bridges all together. I drive down 65 south to the Stansifer Ave. exit a little after 5 each afternoon, on my way home, and have not had any problems yet. Traffic actually seems lighter than usual. (keep in mind this is only day 3 of the big squeeze). I stay alert when I get south of I265 so I can jump off at Veterans, Lewis and Clark, or Eastern, all of which would get you to New Albany, where you could hit the I64 bridge, but I'd only do that as a last resort. Really not any alternate routes across the river unless you go west on I64 and exit at Corydon, then cross the bridge at Brandenburg KY, which would put you down on Dixie Highway near Ft Knox.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I make the trip about every 2 weeks. The construction is creeping north, sometimes you can wait and get off at Seymour, but not always. I just get off at Edinburgh, take 31 until New Albany, and get back on there. The bridges will be crowded at rush hour regardless. If you are continuing south, you can stay in the far left lane and get over the Kennedy reasonably quickly. It'll take forever to get onto 64, though, and if you're going to have to do that I'd take 265 around to 64.

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    I live in Louisville. Don't take 65S all the way unless you are going in the middle of the day. The bridge construction at the Ohio River is a nightmare. If I were you, I would take 65 all the way down to 265 in New Albany, and then ride that over to I64E, and cross the Sherman Minton Bridge and take that to Louisville. What part of Louisville are you going to? There are so many ramp and lane closures with all this construction, so you will need to plan ahead. I can help as best as I can. Feel free to PM me

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Take US31 from the Seymour exit south and you'll be fine.

Only if his last name is Duke and he drives an orange car. Last time I went through (a couple weeks ago) the US31 bridge was closed and they hadnt completed the new approach to the bridge. There was a several hundred foot span between where the new road ends, and where the bridge begins.

tocaman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    MT->MI->IN->SC
    And go ahead and schedule an alignment. I65 did not like last winter. It is a rough ride.

2nd this. In May, I made the mistake of taking my usual I64-I265-I65 route to Indy to avoid the horrible Ohio drivers on I75-I275-I74 route. Construction wasn't much of an issue, but after 11 hours of driving, the last thing I wanted to do was bob and weave to find the smoothest route.

Top Bottom