• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    My daughter is driving home from Anchorage to Indy and she is trying to find the best way to get her handgun back home. Of course she has to drive through Canada and then through US Customs. Can she drive through Canada with the handgun or will she need to do a shipment FFL to FFL? Thoughts?

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I can't find the regs right now, but it's very difficult to transport a handgun through Canada. Her best bet will be to either sell it there before leaving and buy a new one here, or FED-Ex it to herself at your address.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    On a related note, I know you can ship livestock and extreme rush cargo (live crawfish) using the airlines. I wonder if you can do the same with a firearm? And I wonder if it would be cheaper than Fedex since fedex makes you ship it overnight.

A quick glance via google Southwest doesnt, but American doesnt outright say no in the FAQ. Might be worth looking into.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I got an answer from a hunter that takes his own weapons when he goes. He said the ferry is definately the way to go, no customs to go through, it's faster than driving and there's lots of great scenery along the way. She is checking it out now. Thanks for the options INGO!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Great news OP. Out of curiosity, let us know what she ends up paying. A ferry ride that long with a vehicle could be pricey.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Either take the ferry that stays in the States, or ship the gun. Don't try to enter Canada with it.

Even then, unload, box it up, and pack it away.
    Alaska Marine Highway System - Travel Policies

Ship or sell the gun. I just looked up the rate to get that gun to the CONUS via 1 adult and 1 car on the ferry. 3-4 day trip from Juneau to Bellingham, WA, $1600 each way for 1 adult and 1 car. :faint:

Unless it is much harder to drive the route, Yowsas!

Dyerbill

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    NWIndiana
    Two big flags...one on each side of the car....one says "Guns are evil"..the other "I'm voting for Hillary......how about you :)"
    You'll be fine the whole way.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    She can have an FFL there ship it to an FFL here for probably under $50.

Can also fed-ex/UPS things to herself without needing an FFL, but the overnight price from up there would probably be $100 or so...or more.

Definitely may be worth the cost of shipping vs. added cost of the ferry.

If there's any quantity of ammo to accompany the gun - she's better off also shipping that (if possible) or selling it to a friend and then resupplying back in IN. I would not at all risk transporting handgun ammo through Canadian customs, either. Nor the crossing back home into the US.

Top Bottom