• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    No. According to 55fairlane, all "drills" are cordless since they're just pieces of metal designed to poke holes in things. :):
    I know the first time I worked with someone from overseas he asked me for a drill and I handed him my cordless. He was confused, then I was confused. We got it sorted out though.

He called them drills and drill machines.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I know the first time I worked with someone from overseas he asked me for a drill and I handed him my cordless. He was confused, then I was confused. We got it sorted out though.

Maybe 55fairlane is from overseas. ;) Kidding aside, he is the only one I've seen referring to them as "drills" as opposed to "drill bits" in my 63 years on this earth. Obviously he posted some evidence that they were indeed referred to as such back in the olden days.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Maybe 55fairlane is from overseas. ;) Kidding aside, he is the only one I've seen referring to them as "drills" as opposed to "drill bits" in my 63 years on this earth. Obviously he posted some evidence that they were indeed referred to as such back in the olden days.
    They're still referred to as drills by some people in the trades, especially during training or literature. I had never heard it until I was 18 or so on the job.

Kind of like Bolts and Screws. In some a bolt is a screw until it has a nut, but with most a screw is tapered and bolts are not.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven

A drill motor is the habd held item used to power a drill. To be more technical there are, cordless drill motor, an air powered drill motor, a drill press ......and radial arm drill press, like the one in this picture ded3efb7d2b875a44338d52b3452ee06.jpg

Flingarrows

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 9, 2019
    Greenwood
    A drill motor is the habd held item used to power a drill. To be more technical there are, cordless drill motor, an air powered drill motor, a drill press ......and radial arm drill press, like the one in this picture View attachment 257651

In my younger days in the trades I worked with some old timers (and great workers) who would refer to the mechanical object that twists the drill [bit], as a “drill motor”. I don’t recall what they called the drills.

D K

Marksman
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    And the older electricians I’ve worked with called them “drill motors”, too.
    Unless it was cordless - those were “battery drills”. Drove me bonkers, but it sounds like there was some validity to their terminology!

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven

Double Margin drills have an additional margin ground behind the leading margin,providing twice the number of contact points.The second margin performs various functions to improve hole quality.
    Double Margin Drill - Information

• The trailing margin burnishes the cavity, making a true hole and smoother finish, helping to provide a more concentric drilled hole

• A reamer finish can be achieved with double margin drills, eliminating a second operation.

• When a double margin drill is used with a drill bushing, the four margins locate in the bushing, providing increased bushing support in excess of 200%.

• When intermittent cutting is required, the double margin drill performs in two ways: Enhanced margin support in the first cavity cut, and support on breakthrough, which stops the drill from wandering when in contact with the work space.

• Drill back taper is more tightly controlled than a regular drill, enhancing a rounder hole location.

• 135-degree split point provides immediate self-centering on contact with the work piece, and reduces thrust, due to its notch-type web thinning at the chisel edge length. The split point is excellent for drilling harder materials (titanium, stainless steel, and high temperature alloys.)

• Will all these features incorporated in this double margin drill, it is excellent for hand drilling.

Top Bottom