• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mrs. Hoppes

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    New Goshen
    In light of my husband's thread (and the resultant brain scrubbing to get rid of some mental images that ensued) I have a carry question.

I wear dresses and skirts. I don't even own a pair of pants. Some of my skirts are easy enough to carry on the hip. But what about dresses? I'm looking at some of my dresses wondering how I would be able to carry.

Any ideas?

And no, I do not carry a purse. I have a small backpack style "purse" that I carry that has my day planner, three cloth diapers, ziplock baggie of wipes, two onesies, two pairs of tights, and a cloth pad.

The bag is more of a diaper bag, junk bag, catch-all that is small and gets carried like a backpack. It keeps my hands free for my children and I don't have to worry about a purse-snatcher like I would with a normal purse.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    Mrs. Hoppes,

First, I know I contributed to some of that necessary brain scrubbing, so my apologies if it offended you; it was all in good fun. :)

Second, this is why we have the Women & Firearms section of the forum, and I'll be moving this thread there after I write this reply.

Third, you'll find this site mentioned often in the Women & Firearms section: Cornered Cat -- Read it, thoroughly and frequently. She has some *excellent* articles on just about every single issue you could think of that might deal with women specifically.

Other threads you might be interested in:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...20-useful_websites_for_female_gun_owners.html

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/women_and_firearms/9420-holster_talk_on_youtube.html

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/women_and_firearms/4493-cc_for_women.html

Short answer (and I'm still struggling with this one myself, which is why I don't carry daily): if you want to carry regularly, you have to change your wardrobe.

Other options are thigh holster (although I still haven't figured out how to be graceful about retrieving your weapon should you need it, much less trying to do it quickly), shoulder holster (you'd want a good covering garment, like a loose sweater or blouse), or a belly band (the jury's still out on this idea).

HTH.

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    Just OC with one of these:

Picture%202020.jpg

Problem solved :lmfao:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Other options are thigh holster (although I still haven't figured out how to be graceful about retrieving your weapon should you need it, much less trying to do it quickly)
    (emphasis mine)

Graceful? Really?

With deference to the modesty of our members who happen to be ladies, might I suggest that this line of thinking is a bit less restrictive?

greatview1908.jpg

If that's the last thing on earth the SOB sees, does it really matter when you're going home to those you love?

(and yes, I know she doesn't have a pistol in hand.)

Blessings,
    B

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Mostly, I've re-routed my stuff to work around skirts with belt loops, but sadly most skirt's loops are teeny and meant for a thin decorative belt. I don't wear them much anymore either. When I do, It's always with a blazer or blouse/vest combo for conceal. Currently, I carry IWB.
    (although I still haven't figured out how to be graceful about retrieving your weapon should you need it, much less trying to do it quickly),
    I figure if it really hits the fan, I'm not gonna care who sees London or France.
    The real question that should be asked, is wth do you do with your gear when you go to the OB GYN? It's not as easy as stashing those panties (come on, we all know we do it. Somebody's gonna go spelunking with a frog light, but gawd forbid they see our panties on the chair first...)

Mrs. Hoppes

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    New Goshen
    Mrs. Hoppes,

First, I know I contributed to some of that necessary brain scrubbing, so my apologies if it offended you; it was all in good fun. :)

So was my brain scrubbing comment. :Dhttps://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/women_and_firearms/4493-cc_for_women.html

Short answer (and I'm still struggling with this one myself, which is why I don't carry daily): if you want to carry regularly, you have to change your wardrobe.

Not an option. Skirts or dresses only. Same thing with our daughters. No pants.

Mrs. Hoppes

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    New Goshen
    The real question that should be asked, is wth do you do with your gear when you go to the OB GYN? It's not as easy as stashing those panties (come on, we all know we do it. Somebody's gonna go spelunking with a frog light, but gawd forbid they see our panties on the chair first...)

:lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2:

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    I know this is the Women's forum, but..

Galco holsters; Holsters; Gun holster, pistol holsters, western holsters, shoulder holsters, leather holster and Glock holsters

It's an inside-of-the-thigh holster. Worn kinda like a garter on the opposite leg from your strong hand. There's an attachment that would hook to the top of the skirt to keep it from sliding down, but it's pretty snug. It would only realistically work with smaller handguns, and it would require some adjustments for most ladies as far as standing, sitting, crossing the legs, etc., but it's an option.

Smartcarry holsters (don't use the imitations) are pretty good as well in my book. I've carried a full-size 1911 and a full-size Glock in one, and they're pretty comfortable once you get used to them. They wouldn't be quite as good with a super-tight bandaid style dress or skirt, but with something that's a little bit looser it would be fantastic. NOBODY would be able to tell..

I don't have any information on that OB-GYN-KANOBI stuff - can't help ya there ;)

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    How about a drop-leg holster? With a blousy kind of dress, you could even cut an unobtrusive slit in the pleats on the side and keep it closed with velcro, so you wouldn't need to hike the dress up to draw.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    1. Concealment vest/jacket or vest+shoulder holster.

Now that fall is here, it will not attract any attention at all. If you're handy with a sewing machine, a quilted vest with a discreet holster sewn inside will work... with ligther fabric you may have to sew in some support webbing to keep it from sagging (edit: the gun that is), depending on how big the gun is, but the quilting will do a good job of keeping the gun from printing. Breast pockets on the outside will help break up the outline too.

And no, I do not carry a purse. I have a small backpack style "purse" that I carry that has my day planner, three cloth diapers, ziplock baggie of wipes, two onesies, two pairs of tights, and a cloth pad.

2. Since you like a backpack Galco holsters; Holsters; Gun holster, pistol holsters, western holsters, shoulder holsters, leather holster and Glock holsters

3. Fanny pack.

4. Half sheet day planner, when you're not "carrying" stuff it in the backpack (quick access issue). (FWIW, use one with a real logo and a zipper, my "DayTimer" is about to get a transformation for "church".) The one I saw at the Indy 1500, well, is it doesn't look right. Here's one from Galco: Galco holsters; Holsters; Gun holster, pistol holsters, western holsters, shoulder holsters, leather holster and Glock holsters They have another one with two compartments with a real planner on the other side.

5. If you're really good with a sewing machine or if you can make or by breasfeeding blouses/dresses with the velcro openings (if you really need your gun, it's not going to matter who gets flashed). Then you can go with a "belly band" Galco holsters; Holsters; Gun holster, pistol holsters, western holsters, shoulder holsters, leather holster and Glock holsters or a t-shirt holster. Home Page

6. SmartCarry, already mentioned.

edit: snaps instead of buttons would work for #5 too.

Last edited:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    5. If you're really good with a sewing machine or if you can make or by breasfeeding blouses/dresses with the velcro openings (if you really need your gun, it's not going to matter who gets flashed). Then you can go with a "belly band" Galco holsters; Holsters; Gun holster, pistol holsters, western holsters, shoulder holsters, leather holster and Glock holsters or a t-shirt holster. Home Page

I have a friend that uses the belly bands similar to how you mentioned kludge . Most of the time, as in 99% of, you can hardly tell. Not someplace/somehow you think a person would carry.

Last edited by a moderator:

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Be careful with the smart carry holster. Check out this thread at the OFCC forums.
    From the text, that was not a Smart Carry, but a knock off LIKE a Smart Carry. I think the biggest lesson here is to not skimp on your carry gear. It is as important as the weapon. The cause was cheap fabric allowing the trigger to be pulled. That should not be possible with a good holster.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    Not an option. Skirts or dresses only. Same thing with our daughters. No pants.

Mrs. Hoppes, it is not my place to ask, but usually such a conviction that women are to wear dresses only is based on a religious conviction. That being said, that choice (to wear dresses exclusively) most likely will severly limit your choices for concealed carry. You do still have the option of open carry or no carry.

All matters in life are really all about personal choices, personal convictions, and what compromises you are willing to make.

If harrassed about open carry, you can always chalk it up to the suffering that most people who try to closely follow God's word have to suffer from time to time in order to closely follow Him.

Mrs. Hoppes

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    New Goshen
    The way we dress is a part of my belief and someone did mention modifying some clothing. I am handy with a sewing machine when the sewing machine is cooperative. I have some good ideas now and I am very appreciative.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Dresses/skirts aren't that much of a limitation, IMO. Esp. if you're handy with a sewing machine.

+1 on the SmartCarry. We have 3 of them. Will work just as well with a skirt as with pants. With a dress you do have to flip it up to get to it, but hey, it's a life/death situation at that point.

The horror story posted earlier looked like a cheap thin nylon knockoff. I wouldn't recommend carrying a cocked and locked CZ in such a holster as the "unfortunate victim" did. A DA revolver or DA semi-auto should be fine in such a holster. I would not be comfortable carrying a SA auto in a SmartCarry.

It is a compromise, however, as it's a little slower draw from such a carry mode.

Belly bands have been mentioned. A shoulder rig under a blouse over a tee shirt can work, although this would require a belted skirt or other solution to anchor the bottom. Ankle holsters depending on the length of the skirt/dress.

Off body carry in things like purses and fanny packs carries the risk of being snatched or left somewhere, or not being "on you" when you need it.

Concealed carry is a state of mind. Agents are routinely able to carry something as large as a SIG 239 along with cuffs and a spare mag when dress in such a way as you'd think they couldn't AND are able to pass a light frisking. Granted, these are not carried in what one might think of as "conventional" positions. Don't ask!

If you put your mind to it, I'm sure you'll come up with something creative.

Last edited:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Please know that Jesus won't love you any less should you wear pants; you aren't any less of a Christian if you have on blue jeans.

"Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed." (John 8:36)...That word "indeed" serves as an exclamation mark. It is something new and exciting that Jesus was teaching the people who were enslaved to sin, enslaved to vain tradition and meaningless religious practices, enslaved to self-righteousness, and enslaved to the social injustice of that day.

Not starting a debate, just food for thought.

-J-

Mr.Hoppes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    New Goshen IN
    Please know that Jesus won't love you any less should you wear pants; you aren't any less of a Christian if you have on blue jeans.

Deuteronomy 22:5 (King James Version)

5. The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.

We believe that the things contained in the bible were put there for a reason.

Is there salvation is wearing a certain clothing ? NO

Is there salvation in the siprit of rebellion? NO.

We do simply as we are directed, by the Man of God and The Word.

BTW. Something I have learned with great pains on this message board is, if you don't want a debate, best leave it alone.

Last edited:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Yes, but the Mosaic law, as found in Deuteronomy, was the law of the Hebrew peoples. Not the Gentiles.

I too believe that the things in the Bible were included for a reason.

Top Bottom