• ...and so much more!
  • 2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I would have kept jumping out of airplanes had they taken away jump pay, but it would have been lonely.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    All this unrest is a giant push to nationalize all law enforcement. Wait and see. They will come right out soon and push it in congress. We need to resist this notion we do not want a totalitarian police state.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I got to Indianapolis today to take care of some business and visit some family. I had some time afterwards so decided to head to the mile square and through the Mass Avenue areas to see how things looked.

Numerous businesses in these areas have been fighting to survive under "orders" from a mayor and a governor that kept them crippled or shut down for months. Once "allowed" to reopen, it has been under very restrictive conditions which may do little to actually help save the businesses. Now, thanks to the current events and the mayor's curfew which no doubt will only be enforced strongly against businesses, the businesses will continue to take hits.

The area was pretty empty, particularly for a sunny June Saturday when it is 80 degres.

Most of the buildings in the area are covered in plywood. Many had barricades erected around them. The plywood and barricades were covered with graffiti. The graffiti that was on the Soldiers and Sailors monument appears to be getting cleaned up a bit. If you have ever dealt with graffiti, you know the "cleaning" leaves its own marks and damage to the surface.

Much of the graffiti read "Black Lives Matter", "**** the cops", and similar slogans. It's a great look that should do wonders for the residents of Indianapolis and those in business to serve those residents.

Many are quick to point out that the "protesters" and "rioters" are two different groups. Maybe. Regardless, both are significantly responsible for the current situation in the downtown Indianapolis area I visited today. They may be "different groups", but there seems to be a hell of a lot of overlap and synergy between them.

What ever degree of empathy I may have had or may have been fostering for these groups was completely and utterly destroyed today.

They complain about "food deserts", "lack of access to health care facilities", "neglected conditions of the neighborhood", and so forth yet are clearly more than willing to make areas undesirable for investors and business owners/ operators looking for a return on their capital as unappealing as possible.

At this point, they can **** themselves all the way to Hell for all I care.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Looks like someone got a call from corporate. This is the downtown Starbucks yesterday and today

olcuxntsc5351.jpg

7w0fwb0xoc351.jpg

boman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    indianapolis
    big red said "The area was pretty empty, particularly for a sunny June Saturday when it is 80 degres." he didn't go far enough west or was too early. I cruised down there at 4:30 and there were people all over the place with a "real" as in several thousand(guessing 5k plus or minus and appeared to be growing based on people walking that way) people participating in a demonstration in front of the Capitol building. Apparently well organized with speakers who had the crowd cheering like a sports game. water stations, first aid, voter registration tents. State police appeared to be standing quietly behind the speakers on the capitol steps. deja vu for me---I was around and experienced the late 60's.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    big red said "The area was pretty empty, particularly for a sunny June Saturday when it is 80 degres." he didn't go far enough west or was too early. I cruised down there at 4:30 and there were people all over the place with a "real" as in several thousand(guessing 5k plus or minus and appeared to be growing based on people walking that way) people participating in a demonstration in front of the Capitol building. Apparently well organized with speakers who had the crowd cheering like a sports game. water stations, first aid, voter registration tents. State police appeared to be standing quietly behind the speakers on the capitol steps. deja vu for me---I was around and experienced the late 60's.

I think what Red meant was that there aren't crowds of people doing what they used to do - patronize the businesses. Unfortunately the rioters shut the businesses down and they're not open to be patronized anymore, just as they were starting to re-open after the plague. Betcha those protesters aren't contributing to the downtown economy. But hey, they get to show how "woke" they all are. :rolleyes: "Woke" doesn't pay the bills.

boman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    indianapolis
    I think what Red meant was that there aren't crowds of people doing what they used to do - patronize the businesses. Unfortunately the rioters shut the businesses down and they're not open to be patronized anymore, just as they were starting to re-open after the plague. Betcha those protesters aren't contributing to the downtown economy. But hey, they get to show how "woke" they all are. :rolleyes: "Woke" doesn't pay the bills.
    I got that part too---I was/am a frequenter of downtown(ride my trek bike, and was on it today). I was down there last Sunday morning to see the mess before most of it was cleaned up/ boarded up and the cs powder still prevalent in places. Got a good dose from sweepers at the corner of Maryland and Penn. My point was his timing or location may have been off today.

MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN
    Can we just fire all of IMPD and bring in Omni Consumer Products?

Can you imagine an ED209 walking and patrolling Washington square Mall or 42nd and Post?

https://images.app.goo.gl/SnLKEvSK4vbvaBJf9

"If you can loot in person, you can Vote in person" -Me

That would have been hilarious in the day!

HEADLINE: "ED-209 SHOOTS 20 GO-KARTERS AT POST ROAD REC CENTER!"

MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN
    There are a lot of businesses that will never seen another penny from me for their pandering. They're free to do it. I'm free to know MY money will never go to such idiocy.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Oh for crap sake man. Are you serious.
    If a line of cops In Full riot gear are moving forward with Intent then hell yes. Leave them alone. This should be a given.
    Those guys are on high energy so just step off. What good will come of your interference.

We can argue all day as to the merits of lack of here. Yes that guy should have stayed back. No he should not have been knocked down but man just stay out of their way.

Serious on a more big picture level but I agree, his actions were reckless and stupid.

I am sure over the mythical cheeseburger we would be 90% in agreement and have a thoughtful discussion on the other 10%. My concern is that this attitude will continue to seep into more day to day interactions. I have had 2 or 3 serious interactions with police over the years (none involving criminal activity on my part) and I do not fight that battle on the street. Give respect and get respect still seems to work, at least for my middle age white self.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    any get this , is it real?

The "Boogaloo bois" is an inside joke. Based on the movie Breakin' 2 Electric Boogaloo.
    It's effectively talking about a second civil war in a sarcastic fashion.

Anyone claiming it's a group is a left winger trying to provide cover for antifa operations.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    So we talking about the Bugaboo people again?

Seem like if buggy boos were real the “thing” would have kicked off by now?

I guess you guys can take care of Indy tonight?

I am going to have few drinks seven and seven it’s a old mans drink in honor of CM who is old!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Serious on a more big picture level but I agree, his actions were reckless and stupid.

I am sure over the mythical cheeseburger we would be 90% in agreement and have a thoughtful discussion on the other 10%. My concern is that this attitude will continue to seep into more day to day interactions. I have had 2 or 3 serious interactions with police over the years (none involving criminal activity on my part) and I do not fight that battle on the street. Give respect and get respect still seems to work, at least for my middle age white self.

And I will buy the burgers. Next time you are up this way if we can find a place that is serving its on.

Yes I agree more than you know but seriously, until we are standing in lock step with these men in full rig and walking into God only knows what maybe we should give them a break. I will.

Top Bottom