Downsizing your carry gun when you have kids?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Don't read into this, I don't have kids myself, this is just something I was curious about.

Did you guys downgrade your carry pistol after having kids? Downgrading the size or even caliber?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Why?

No. Same XD40SC as before. Heck, I'm seriously considering "upgrading" to a 1911.

Now, I DID pick up a pocket pistol, so I could more easily keep SOMETHING in my pocket nearly 100% of the time. Turns out, I just carry the XD.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I was picturing kids climbing all over you, or even carrying a kid...wasn't sure how that would be while carrying your normal EDC.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    My little one learned pretty quick that my "strong side" is rather uncomfortable!

It is properly holstered. I am not worried about it.

As for carrying - you'll tend to carry a kid on your "weak" side, anyway. Leaves the other hand free to open doors, pick up grocery bags, etc....

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    It depends on the situation. I upgraded my capacity because of kids. I would never go into a mall on my own. Now with a wife and kid I sometimes find myself there.

I feel okay protecting myself with a 6 shot revolver. If I have to get my family out of an active shooter situation I want a lot more firepower.

That said, there are times I go back to the snubbie if I need deeper concealment because of a party or event where there are a lot of other kids or soccer moms around and I don't want to print and freak them out. Like today when we went to the zoo.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    It depends on the situation. I upgraded my capacity because of kids. I would never go into a mall on my own. Now with a wife and kid I sometimes find myself there.

I feel okay protecting myself with a 6 shot revolver. If I have to get my family out of an active shooter situation I want a lot more firepower.

That said, there are times I go back to the snubbie if I need deeper concealment because of a party or event where there are a lot of other kids or soccer moms around and I don't want to print and freak them out. Like today when we went to the zoo.

Great points MCgrease! That was right on I think

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy

Well put.....this is pretty much my opinion also.

Pmpkn8r

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2013
    Pendleton Area
    I went to the store the other day and still wore my 3.8" XDM .45 as I always do. I ended up needing to help the wife with the new baby, so I carried her in the Tula carrier and I just wore my XDM at the 5 o'clock instead of 4. It was easier to conceal. But carrying the baby in the Tula to help the wife instantly made me a non-combatant. That is something I have to get used to.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I had never really thought about carrying from that perspective. Right now, my youngest is 17 and my oldest almost 25 so it's not an immediate issue. But, hopefully there will be grandkids in the coming years and the issue might come up. Some guns are more carry friendly to your environment than others. When I carry a 1911, if I'm not careful, I can tear up upholstery and furniture from the sharp corners and unforgiving materials. I imagine the same applies to kids too. I have door frames that have gouges out of them from the rear sight of a 1911 being snagged but others that have only a rounded dent from a Glock being snagged. I could see myself carrying a Glock if I someday have grandkids coming over but then again, I would not want my future grand kids to tell my great grand kids that their great grand pappy carried a plastic pistol. I'd much rather be remembered as having carried an ivory gripped stainless full size 1911 in 10mm. They can remember their great grandma for carrying a Glock but grandpa's are supposed to be mean old bad asses, even if they weren't.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I didn't change because of the kids. In some instances, I was actually able to carry a bigger gun because of having a diaper bag (great for holding extra mags). Carrying the bag and a kid provided more concealment. That was when I actually was worried about printing.

Also when you are carrying a cute little baby in your arms, 99% of people look at the kid anyways.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    No. Ironically, I started to OC more... (I still CC when I think it is to my advantage)

"why?" You ask. Well, my kids like to climb on me and/wrestle etc. They also know to respect firearms. If they can't see the gun, they are much more likely to accidentally put hands on it. (Which I consider problematic--even if it is in a good holster). Over time, I can verify that this has actually played out as I anticipated it might. Another OC win? Lol.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    There were a lot of things that changed when my first child was born, but my EDC was not one of them. The only thing that changed was that I started carrying extra mags for it.

Harley46982

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0
    Oct 18, 2010
    No I've carried a 5 inch 1911 since I was 18 here in Indiana, my youngest is 12 and I feel no need to change now. Well except caliber I did goto 10mm!

tackshot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 11, 2014
    Southside

Exactly on point. I often do the same with my snubbie, at the park , mall, zoo, playground.
    If anything was to happen when I have the snubbie on me I tend to think just get whoever I'm with to safety and wait to shoot if I have to

Top Bottom