Don't have this sharpener but it looks fantastic.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I just saw this today and here's the reason I like it better than anything else I've seen in terms of power sharpeners. Couple reasons why, Wayne Goddard, Rob Rossdeutsher, Tim Lively and Kevin Cashen are all bladesmiths that I know use the belts on their belt grinders to sharpen blades. I learned from Tim and use that technique all the time. This is the first product I've seen that mimics that technique and looks like it could do a reasonably good job of it. The one thing I'd do different is instead of using a high grit belt to polish the edge, I'd put a screwdriver in a clamp and put one of those little 15 dollar buffing wheels in it and buff the edge (careful, especially with folders). I know an 90 dollar price tag seems steep. The Grizzly 1x42 belt sander is 190 and you can accomplish the same thing as long as you keep your angles consistent and don't burn up the blade. This sharpener just looks like a better option for folks who don't intend to learn anything beyond sharpening a blade.

Work Sharp Knife and Tool Sharpener | Work Sharp Tools

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    I just saw this today and here's the reason I like it better than anything else I've seen in terms of power sharpeners. Couple reasons why, Wayne Goddard, Rob Rossdeutsher, Tim Lively and Kevin Cashen are all bladesmiths that I know use the belts on their belt grinders to sharpen blades. I learned from Tim and use that technique all the time. This is the first product I've seen that mimics that technique and looks like it could do a reasonably good job of it. The one thing I'd do different is instead of using a high grit belt to polish the edge, I'd put a screwdriver in a clamp and put one of those little 15 dollar buffing wheels in it and buff the edge (careful, especially with folders). I know an 90 dollar price tag seems steep. The Grizzly 1x42 belt sander is 190 and you can accomplish the same thing as long as you keep your angles consistent and don't burn up the blade. This sharpener just looks like a better option for folks who don't intend to learn anything beyond sharpening a blade.

Work Sharp Knife and Tool Sharpener | Work Sharp Tools
    I've been looking at these, too. Amazon has them for much less. IIRC they are about $67.00 there.

EPD1102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Evansville

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    I subscribe to the Equip2Endure channel on youtube. The main guy really likes them. I think it would take me and my lack of skill out of the picture enough to get a good edge.

I have been asking on this forum about them, but not a whole lot of experience with them. $70 ain't cheap, but if it works...

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Power sharpeners always scare me a little. I don't like to put an expensive blade up to a high speed abrasive.:nailbite:

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    ^ Me too. I can screw one up with sandpaper, but even faster with an electric motor attached :laugh:. There was a guy demo-ing at a 1500 quite a while back, and offered to sharpen my buddies Izula. Completely ****ed up the edge. I'm sure it was user error though, as 1095 is pretty easy steel to work with.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    the work sharp is pretty easy. it has a angle guide and all that good stuff. just put it on give it some power and pull the blade through. even trader couldn't mess that up :)

J/k I know trader could definitely mess that up lol

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    ^ Me too. I can screw one up with sandpaper, but even faster with an electric motor attached :laugh:. There was a guy demo-ing at a 1500 quite a while back, and offered to sharpen my buddies Izula. Completely ****ed up the edge. I'm sure it was user error though, as 1095 is pretty easy steel to work with.

Yeah, I remember that guy. I handed him dull-as-hell Ratmandu, and told him if he could sharpen it up and it could shave arm hair, I'd buy his sander.

He didn't screw up my knife, but it wasn't sharp when he was done. I pushed it down my arm, nothing came off, so I said "sorry, man. No sale."

Fireaxes

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2010
    Wabash County
    Top Bottom