• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    That dog ordinance is government overreach in its purest form. My dog is mine and I will keep him where I wish. They arent people and were created to live outdoors. They do have a permanent fur coat.

I don’t really like the government overreach, but dog breeds have evolved, just as humans have. Not all are suited for being outdoors. Some have very thin, short coats. Their paws are prone to frostbite on days like this.

Hey, how about a pic of the Mal? :wwub:

trapperDave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Morristown, IN
    Lots of straw. Fresh dry straw. And all the food they want when its real cold. My kennel is half inside the barn and half outside. 10x10 inside with a dog box. Straw in box and on ground. Dog size opening going outside with 3 bales of straw covered with plywood outside that opening to block wind rain n snow from blowing in. Outside portion of kennel is 10x30. They poop on one end, run around the rest of it. Keep five beagles and wife's mutt in it. They all sleep in one side of the two compartment dog box when its real cold, keeping each other warm.

DWS

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    Sheridan
    Brought inside means what? Inside the house? Inside the garage? Inside an enclosure with adequate insulation and wind block?

I've worked with/around LE K9s for 18 years now and as the man stated, some can come inside and some cannot. I see no issue with his kennel and he's obviously taking steps to ensure the dog isn't uncomfortable.

In relation to the "new" ordinance, this is how it reads. (This is only a section from the entire Care & Treatment 401 ordinance, the rest can be viewed on Municode)

In addition to the general requirements for animal care and treatment in this article, every owner or keeper of a dog kept in the consolidated city and county shall see that such dog when confined outside:
    (1)
    Has access to a shelter constructed of solid wood or other weather resistant material, consisting of a structure with solid walls on all sides, a dry floor raised above the ground, and a solid roof sloped away from the entrance to protect the dog from weather and extreme cold. During winter and any day when the temperature is at or below 40°F, the shelter must be just large enough for the dog to stand up and turn around, the entrance covered by a flexible wind-proofing material or self-closing door, and must contain clean, dry bedding, which must consist of an insulating material that does not retain moisture, such as straw, of sufficient depth for the dog to burrow. On any day when the temperature is at or above 80°F, the shelter must be shaded by trees, a tarp, or a tarp-like device.
    (2)
    Must be brought into a temperature controlled facility when the temperature is at or below 20°F or at or above 90°F, or when a heat advisory, wind chill warning, or tornado warning has been issued by local, state, or national authority, except when the dog in visual range of a competent adult who is outside with the dog.
    (3)
    Has adequate space for exercise when confined in an enclosure or pen, which shall consist of no less than one hundred (100) square feet. A dog over eighty (80) pounds must be provided with an additional fifty (50) square feet. For each additional dog inside the enclosure, fifty square feet of space for exercise must be added per dog.

Top Bottom