Does the military truly defend our freedoms?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nemo97

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 29, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Something that is said often, yet makes little sense to me is "the military is fighting for your freedoms." Most particularly in question is the notion of our fighting forces being used in wars overseas and stationed abroad that has me wondering, "How is the military truly defending my freedom?"

How is fighting in Somalia, Korea, Viet Nam, Serbia/Bosnia, Iraq, Afghanistan, Grenada, etc defending my freedoms at home? World War II made sense since we were attacked by a foreign power on December 7, 1941.

I am of the opinion that our military is NOT defending our freedoms abroad. My thoughts have me gravitating to that fateful day in September 2001 when some fanatics did their dirty deeds by killing over 3,000 people in a well planned terror attack. What was the American answer to this new "problem?"

1) The Patriot Act and its recent extension;
    2) TSA sexual assault;
    3) authorization for unmanned drones in American airspace;
    4) a more compliant populace that is less and less resistant to their rights being eroded.
    5) a still very porous border;
    6) surely we could spend plenty of time finding smaller, though just as important examples of freedoms being squeezed out of existence.

I do not blame either political party for this meltdown of rights erosion, rather I blame both of them along with the people for not resisting more adamantly. I do not blame the military for this rights erosion either, but, the military is surely not defending against the ever-increasing violation of the Constitution, of which, they are all sworn to protect and defend.

So, what freedom is the military protecting? The Peoples'? The establishment's? What?

I am curious to read your thoughts on this. :patriot:

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    they are not. "they fight for our freedom" would imply that someone is hear trying to take our freedoms from us, or that we do no have freedom and they are trying to restore it. either way they do not "fight for our freedom".

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    A people can always be brought to the bidding of their leaders,All you have to do is tell them
    they are being attacked,and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotisim.
    Hermann Goering

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I would say that freedom is protected by the militia (i.e., the sum total of armed citizens) and not the army or any other .gov organization. There is a reason why the Consitution provided for maintaining a Navy but not a standing army. In the end, there are times in which military intervention are necessary, but there are two reasons we have our present situation. First is becoming involved in situation in which we should not. Second is not finishing old business before deciding we have had enough and leave a viable enemy with a serious case of the red***. The solution is to engage only in fights for which we really do have a good reason and second, to finish them once we start them rather than going soft and running away leaving a far more dangerous enemy behind than what we had in the first place.

Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    Reality
    if the military is defending our freedoms, someone has some 'splainin' to do Lucy! We are less free now; economic slaves to a federal government leviathan gone wild.

The military, while full of well-intentioned, brave, patriotic souls is doing the bidding of a corrupt, power hungry federal government and those that finance the same. They are hardly defending our freedoms, as the OP has clearly stated.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    they are not. "they fight for our freedom" would imply that someone is hear trying to take our freedoms from us, or that we do no have freedom and they are trying to restore it. either way they do not "fight for our freedom".

The military does protect our freedoms indirectly. Their size, strength, and capabalities are a major deterrant to any nation which would seek to undermine our sovereignty as a nation or worse.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    only problem is, the biggest threat to freedom at this moment is the expanding gov.

^I don't disagree with this.

But without our military, or with a military that is far less capable, the fact is that we would be far more vulnerable to external threats.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    The military is defending our freedom from a foreign enemy, real or imagined I don't want to get into that. They are doing a great job of keeping some countries in their place, whether we know about it or not.

Unfortunately domestic freedom has gone to heck in the mean time, with our rights being destroyed by so-called "Homeland Security", and the "Transportation Security Administration", not to mention how much less freedom we have because of obama-care and other feel good regulations that are reducing our freedoms.

Maybe the reason the military is so spread out overseas is that the government is afraid that if they were home, they might realize that our constitutional rights have been destroyed and might take their oath of allegiance to heart and say "NO!"

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010

Military spending is not always indicative of military strength. Our military acquisition process is corrupt and our labor costs of producing equipment is higher than that of China and Russia. Additionally, it is widely believed that the Chinese in particular are not honest in their reporting of military expenditures. Furthermore, we would never tolerate our troops living under the conditions that those of China or even Russia do, that costs money too. This graph would have you believe that France or the UK have military parity with Russia, which simply aint true.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    A 120lb Pitbull doesn't protect anyone's freedom's either... they poop in the yard, require to be fed and bathed, leave hair all over the place, chew on things... slobber.

They don't do anything much at all... well, until a burglar decides to break down your front door that is.

badwolf.usmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    2 hourse SE of Chicago
    As someone who a current member of the military, let me tell you what we do. We protect the United States from all enemies, foreign and domestic. These enemies are determined by the government.

It is YOUR job to protect YOUR freedoms, not my job. Stop letting bumper sticker quotes guide your mental processes.

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Something that is said often, yet makes little sense to me is "the military is fighting for your freedoms." Most particularly in question is the notion of our fighting forces being used in wars overseas and stationed abroad that has me wondering, "How is the military truly defending my freedom?"

The defense of freedom within this nation is within the power of the civilian population. Those who are, or have been in the Armed Services, simply are willing to dedicate themselves, even if only for a short time, to defend a country, and keep its enemies at bay, at the cost of themselves if necessary. They prevent anyone who wishes to establish a nation other than the one we currently have, upon this country. They defend your freedom because you do not yet have a ruler, and the people in this country have the freedom to tear down and rebuild this government. Not many are willing to do it, but the choice and the freedom is still there. You still have the power over yourself.

How is fighting in Somalia, Korea, Viet Nam, Serbia/Bosnia, Iraq, Afghanistan, Grenada, etc defending my freedoms at home? World War II made sense since we were attacked by a foreign power on December 7, 1941.

It really wasn't other than to attempt a show of power, but politics perverted in such a way that it became about political correctness and we were neck deep involved in something we should have never had our hands in to begin with. They fought because they took an oath "I, (NAME), do solemnly swear... that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

I am of the opinion that our military is NOT defending our freedoms abroad. My thoughts have me gravitating to that fateful day in September 2001 when some fanatics did their dirty deeds by killing over 3,000 people in a well planned terror attack. What was the American answer to this new "problem?"

1) The Patriot Act and its recent extension;
    2) TSA sexual assault;
    3) authorization for unmanned drones in American airspace;
    4) a more compliant populace that is less and less resistant to their rights being eroded.
    5) a still very porous border;
    6) surely we could spend plenty of time finding smaller, though just as important examples of freedoms being squeezed out of existence.

I agree.

I do not blame either political party for this meltdown of rights erosion, rather I blame both of them along with the people for not resisting more adamantly. I do not blame the military for this rights erosion either, but, the military is surely not defending against the ever-increasing violation of the Constitution, of which, they are all sworn to protect and defend.

There may come a time when the people of the military do march on Washington, but all things come in time. I've yet to meet a member of the service who doesn't vote on a regular basis. To me that is making the attempt to change the government and protect the constitution. Perhaps it is my limited experience, but I could not tell you one way or the other.

So, what freedom is the military protecting? The Peoples'? The establishment's? What?

I am going to refer you back to the primary response, if you don't mind.

I am curious to read your thoughts on this. :patriot:

Well you asked and I answered. I don't know if it was sufficient, but that is how I see it, both as Civilian and Sailor. :twocents:

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    As someone who a current member of the military, let me tell you what we do. We protect the United States from all enemies, foreign and domestic. These enemies are determined by the government.

It is YOUR job to protect YOUR freedoms, not my job. Stop letting bumper sticker quotes guide your mental processes.

well said, Marine.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    I was going to say something but then I realized badwolf.usmc already said it... so.. yeah.

Top Bottom