Does the military truly defend our freedoms?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I would also point out that in the event that the Second Amendment were truly honored in conjunction with a meaningful program of training being made available, say as part of the PE program in school and the kind of drills that were common to pre-revolution America, the militia would be a much more effective force. Being contractually committed to the army does not make a person a more effective soldier. Being equipped and trained does. I would argue that this is why the .gov has such a problem with us having organized training beyond personal protection and safety and has a problem with us being equipped with anything better than Elmer Fudd guns, and doesn't even like those very well.
    This is just a pipe dream at best. Even in the 1700's and 1800's the Militia System was defunct.

Last edited:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I would also point out that in the event that the Second Amendment were truly honored in conjunction with a meaningful program of training being made available, say as part of the PE program in school and the kind of drills that were common to pre-revolution America, the militia would be a much more effective force. Being contractually committed to the army does not make a person a more effective soldier. Being equipped and trained does. I would argue that this is why the .gov has such a problem with us having organized training beyond personal protection and safety and has a problem with us being equipped with anything better than Elmer Fudd guns, and doesn't even like those very well.

I think a better idea would be a several part answer that goes something like this;
    1.) Require ALL Servicemembers of ALL Branches to carry a Sidearm at all times, on or off duty, on or off post.
    2.) Issue every Recruit that completes Basic and AIT a Rifle and Pistol that upon completion of a 4 year tour of duty with an Honorable Discharge leaves with them as they become veterans.
    3.) Allow Veterans that have their Service Weapons to have a Yearly Stipend of Ammunition to train with.
    4.) Abolish or Rescind all Legislation that restricts the Constitution.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I think a better idea would be a several part answer that goes something like this;
    1.) Require ALL Servicemembers of ALL Branches to carry a Sidearm at all times, on or off duty, on or off post.
    2.) Issue every Recruit that completes Basic and AIT a Rifle and Pistol that upon completion of a 4 year tour of duty with an Honorable Discharge leaves with them as they become veterans.
    3.) Allow Veterans that have their Service Weapons to have a Yearly Stipend of Ammunition to train with.
    4.) Abolish or Rescind all Legislation that restricts the Constitution.

I could go along with this. I would still incorporate some useful training into education--it is, after all, a whole lot more valuable than forcing the disinterested to play football!

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I could go along with this. I would still incorporate some useful training into education--it is, after all, a whole lot more valuable than forcing the disinterested to play football!
    The problem is this is not Sparta, and the Populace would never support it. I am still surprised that there are some Schools that have a JrROTC Program...

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    The problem is this is not Sparta, and the Populace would never support it. I am still surprised that there are some Schools that have a JrROTC Program...

Only because we have trusted the 'professionals' and allowed the leftists to take over our schools. May not be easy, but can be changed.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Only because we have trusted the 'professionals' and allowed the leftists to take over our schools. May not be easy, but can be changed.

I don't say it can't be done, but it would be a lengthy process to undo what has already been done. A smaller Active Duty force might be possible, but not if the US remains a World Power (if not a Super Power). Note: I didn't say "if the US is to remain a Super Power". As long as we - as a nation - has something someone else might want (like all those natural resources the EPA and other government agencies won't let us utilize), we'll need a sizable quick response capability to ensure we can defend our borders.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    You will have the same persons who are disinterested in Sports disinterested in this as well. You will also be competing with the Extra Curricular Activitites (Sports, Band, Choir, Acedemics, Ag, etc, etc...) that may lead to Scholarships.

Don;t get me wrong, I think Marksmanship, and Tactics, and Strategy should be taught to students, and starting at a young age as well...
    I don't say it can't be done, but it would be a lengthy process to undo what has already been done. A smaller Active Duty force might be possible, but not if the US remains a World Power (if not a Super Power). Note: I didn't say "if the US is to remain a Super Power". As long as we - as a nation - has something someone else might want (like all those natural resources the EPA and other government agencies won't let us utilize), we'll need a sizable quick response capability to ensure we can defend our borders.
    I really cannot see having a smaller Standing Army in todays World. Even if we pulled the Military back to the US, and quit being the Worlds Police. TO many Nations, and Peoples would just see it as us being a weak target that is ripe for the picking.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    You will have the same persons who are disinterested in Sports disinterested in this as well. You will also be competing with the Extra Curricular Activitites (Sports, Band, Choir, Acedemics, Ag, etc, etc...) that may lead to Scholarships.

Don;t get me wrong, I think Marksmanship, and Tactics, and Strategy should be taught to students, and starting at a young age as well...

I really cannot see having a smaller Standing Army in todays World. Even if we pulled the Military back to the US, and quit being the Worlds Police. TO many Nations, and Peoples would just see it as us being a weak target that is ripe for the picking.

Sorry for being ambiguous. I was referring to reworking the PE program, not the almighty extracurricular activities that are the de facto owners of the schools. I know better than expecting THAT to yield!

In the end, I can see a combination of both ideas working well. As I think about what you and Blackhawk have said, and then reconsider the DHS position on the troops and Obama's drive to have a more powerful force presumably loyal to him personally rather than to the Constitution and then the office, it would seem that the .gov rats share you view of how the troops would react to executive malfeasance.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    snipped

I agree, but perhaps a bit of clarification is in order.

Even if we pulled our current-sized Active Duty personnel back to the national boundaries, what we have is barely enough to defend our borders without being heavily supplemented by Reserves. Without another - much larger - FORMED militia (e.g. a militia with a known and filled structure), we'd be hard pressed to fend off a determined invasion by the sorts of numbers of troops Russia or China (or even India) could send against us.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I agree, but perhaps a bit of clarification is in order.

Even if we pulled our current-sized Active Duty personnel back to the national boundaries, what we have is barely enough to defend our borders without being heavily supplemented by Reserves. Without another - much larger - FORMED militia (e.g. a militia with a known and filled structure), we'd be hard pressed to fend off a determined invasion by the sorts of numbers of troops Russia or China (or even India) could send against us.

It is not the Larger Threats that make me nervous, but all the smaller ones combined...

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Sorry for being ambiguous. I was referring to reworking the PE program, not the almighty extracurricular activities that are the de facto owners of the schools. I know better than expecting THAT to yield!
    The question is how do you teach the Program successfully with the ed system that we haven chosen to utilize. You can barely get kids out of the system that can do the 3R's, and marginally at that...

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    The question is how do you teach the Program successfully with the ed system that we haven chosen to utilize. You can barely get kids out of the system that can do the 3R's, and marginally at that...

No question that it will be an uphill battle. I would start with the notion that school sworked so much better when they still taught children how to thing and not what to think. Everything else builds from there.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    No question that it will be an uphill battle. I would start with the notion that school sworked so much better when they still taught children how to thing and not what to think. Everything else builds from there.

In other words, you want to tear down the public education system and start over. Good for you; I agree.

DC47374

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Richmond, IN
    The military does protect our freedoms indirectly. Their size, strength, and capabalities are a major deterrant to any nation which would seek to undermine our sovereignty as a nation or worse.
    The only serious threat we face to our sovereignty is the United Nations. Of course our military is a deterrent to other countries, that is as it should be.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    The only serious threat we face to our sovereignty is the United Nations. Of course our military is a deterrent to other countries, that is as it should be.

I would agree with the caveat that the greater threat is those internally who would cede sovereignty to the UN rather than the UN going aggressive on us.

Top Bottom