Does anyone else simply ignore "What's your bottom dollar?" PMs?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Years ago, I was selling my off road jeep, and I had a guy in Georgia that wanted it. I told him I wasn't making the trip unless I had a 10 percent down payment. Before I loaded up, I asked him if he wanted any more pics, information, etc because I wasn't driving all the way there to haggle. He said he was happy with the $25,000 price, so I headed down there. When I get to the address he gave me, I had a feeling I was in for it because it was a used car lot. I unload the jeep, he drives it, looks it over, and says he can only give me $18,000. I said okay, hopped in the jeep, and drove it right back onto the trailer. He asked me what I was doing and I told him that we agreed on a price and, as far as I was concerned, he had just spent $2,500 for a test drive. He quickly decided to pay the agreed price.

jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    That's a pet peeve of mine also OP. On a Facebook page recently someone posted a running S10 for $150 and of course a person had to post " bottom dollar." Another peeve is when someone posts their bottom dollar price and people still want to haggle.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    The Dakota was $2800. I live by one motto and one motto only. Drive a beater truck, run badass gear.

Same here.....I had a beat up '89 Nissan pick up worth about $500 (my only vehicle at the time I am proud to saY) and my brother and I were taking his Springer Spaniel out to do some woodcock hunting...As I was taking my Browning Citori O/U out from behind the seat, my brother, in his best Jeff Foxworthy voice said, "Iff'n the shotgun yore gettin out from behind the seat of yore truck is worth twicet whut the truck is.....Ya mite be a redneck..."

All day he kept doing that...All day....

Now I drive a 1993 Ford F150 green and rust color with nice holes above the fender wells...It cost about $1800 so I have moved up a little.....

I'll have many things in my life...A vehicle payment is not one of them....If I pay $40,000 for something with wheels there better be a deck on it with 10 acres....

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Same here.....I had a beat up '89 Nissan pick up worth about $500 (my only vehicle at the time I am proud to saY) and my brother and I were taking his Springer Spaniel out to do some woodcock hunting...As I was taking my Browning Citori O/U out from behind the seat, my brother, in his best Jeff Foxworthy voice said, "Iff'n the shotgun yore gettin out from behind the seat of yore truck is worth twicet whut the truck is.....Ya mite be a redneck..."

All day he kept doing that...All day....

Now I drive a 1993 Ford F150 green and rust color with nice holes above the fender wells...It cost about $1800 so I have moved up a little.....

I'll have many things in my life...A vehicle payment is not one of them....If I pay $40,000 for something with wheels there better be a deck on it with 10 acres....

Your a good man....... Most people might have went Dick Cheney on him.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The reason we have a rule about good pics of what ever you are selling in the ad is to alleviate some of this. Good multi-angle pics with a well worded description of the piece sets up good deals.
    People still complain about the pic rule. If you do not like it go elsewhere. I drove near 2 hours to buy a rifle that turned out to be a serious piece of junk and not even what it was listed as being. This was before Pics. I asked for the pic rule. Not sure that is why we have it but several factors enter into this.

Make your best deal. Make it in good faith. Follow through with the deal as to your word. Simple as that.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I'd actually like to see the picture rule expanded to eliminate 'stock photos'. We should be able to see the exact item that's up for sale. Don't put a stock picture up then tell me your gun looks "just like this" but it's got 500 rounds through it and has been carried daily.
    :bs:

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    The reason we have a rule about good pics of what ever you are selling in the ad is to alleviate some of this. Good multi-angle pics with a well worded description of the piece sets up good deals.
    People still complain about the pic rule. If you do not like it go elsewhere. I drove near 2 hours to buy a rifle that turned out to be a serious piece of junk and not even what it was listed as being. This was before Pics. I asked for the pic rule. Not sure that is why we have it but several factors enter into this.

Make your best deal. Make it in good faith. Follow through with the deal as to your word. Simple as that.

CM, you've done it now...From now on, if anyone complains about the picture rule, I'm going to tell them it's because of you! :D

silverspoon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Bloomfield
    You wouldn't like me if you was a car salesperson I can guarantee that. I pick out the car I want. Do research on the car. Research my trade in. Then I go to the dealer. Unlike most people I only stay about 45 minutes to maybe an hour. I tell them I want this car, here is my trade in drive it if you like. Here's how much money I have to put down and here is where I want my payments. Here is my phone number call me if you can get there. Mean time I'm going to shop around. Screw setting around a dealership while they come down 50 bucks at a time and the salesperson wears the carpet out walking back and forth.

And I'm fine not doing any business on here with you. Doesn't hurt my feelings a bit. I'm very confident and I always hold up my end of the bargain, even if it's to your advantage. I'm not the one getting butt hurt because someone asked a simple yes or no question.

Thats not a quirk, thats a d*** move.

Do you also stand there waiting to get your keys to your new car after buying it online, telling the seller that you arent ready to hand over the check/cash because the price may not actually be to your liking after all?

As others have said, if you say "i'll take it" you made a commitment to taking it at the stated price. Period, end of sentence, its sealed. At that point the only negotiation that is appropriate is when/where/how to take delivery. Any other actions are not in good faith. And it looks like its not just my opinion.

You arent ignored, but I know We will never deal in the classifieds. And if you wouldnt mind, if you are in sales or own a business, please post your business name so I know not to deal with your "quirkiness" in my professional dealings as well.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    You wouldn't like me if you was a car salesperson I can guarantee that. I pick out the car I want. Do research on the car. Research my trade in. Then I go to the dealer. Unlike most people I only stay about 45 minutes to maybe an hour. I tell them I want this car, here is my trade in drive it if you like. Here's how much money I have to put down and here is where I want my payments. Here is my phone number call me if you can get there. Mean time I'm going to shop around. Screw setting around a dealership while they come down 50 bucks at a time and the salesperson wears the carpet out walking back and forth.

And I'm fine not doing any business on here with you. Doesn't hurt my feelings a bit. I'm very confident and I always hold up my end of the bargain, even if it's to your advantage. I'm not the one getting butt hurt because someone asked a simple yes or no question.

Buying a car 101:
    You never tell them you have a trade-in until you get the best price :ugh:

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Barring something wrong, (listed as new, but not new, etc) the meetup is not the time to pull that crap. By the time my car keys are in my hand the terms of the deal are set. Period. If you want to haggle to save a few sheckels, do it up front. Don't waste my time and energy when we should be exchanging and driving away.

If if you aren't ready to do the deal as agreed on here and maybe shoot the breeze for a few minutes, don't commit.

AMEN, Brother!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Apples and oranges comparison to accepting an offer then demanding a lower price at the meetup. What you are doing above isnt that bad. You are being up front and they have to meet it your price. I can dig that.

A more appropriate analogy would be you call the dealer. You ask how much the 2016 Durango on their website costs. He tells you "$36,000". You say Great, I'll take it. The sales manager then says "Wonderful. We have 'to your door' service. I'll have all of the paperwork drawn up so you can just sign your name and take possession. We will deliver the car to you so all you have to do is sign your name and we are out the door in about 10 minutes."

Then when they arrive to deliver the car, you say "Im not paying the 36,000 we already agreed on, even though you went to all the trouble to do the paperwork based on our prior agreed price and travel to me. I'm only paying $30,000."

That is a closer analogy to haggling at the meetup here.

Your analogy would be PMing me and saying "I want your AR-15 you have advertised for $800. I'll give you $600. PM me if you are interested in meeting my price." Thats up front (just like you at the dealer) and nobody is surprised at delivery time when you only want to pay the lower amount. Everyone here is having a beef with you being willing to agree to a list price here, then trying to get a lower price after the fact face to face "just because you can", potentially wasting somebody's time if they wont agree to what you are willing to pay.

Last edited:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Your analogy would be PMing me and saying "I want your AR-15 you have advertised for $800. I'll give you $600. PM me if you are interested in meeting my price." Thats up front (just like you at the dealer) and nobody is surprised at delivery time when you only want to pay the lower amount. Everyone here is having a beef with you being willing to agree to a list price here, then trying to get a lower price after the fact face to face "just because you can", potentially wasting somebody's time if they wont agree to what you are willing to pay.

Oh, he clearly stated he would pay the agreed upon price if the seller said no. That only makes it a little less of a jerk move.

Does it hurt to ask at that point? Only if you don't care that most people would consider you slimy for doing so. I don't want to associate with people who are ok with most people considering them to be slimy.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I'd actually like to see the picture rule expanded to eliminate 'stock photos'. We should be able to see the exact item that's up for sale. Don't put a stock picture up then tell me your gun looks "just like this" but it's got 500 rounds through it and has been carried daily.
    :bs:

Here's a good example of a gun that I might have been interested in.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns-pistols-revolvers/429483-ruger-sp101-dao.html

He shows a stock picture for a fired gun. Says the gun has less than 100 rounds through it and looks new. The problem is the "stock photo" looks like the gun has been polished. Most of the SP101's I've seen do not shine like that.

To me there is a difference between this:
    1.jpg

and this:
    iu

I will not consider contacting this member about this gun even though I have been thinking about one like this for a while. Actually, since he's not a site supporter and has over 860 posts in the classifieds vs 304 regular posts, I wouldn't be contacting him anyway. He also has a habit of using stock photos in many of his ads.

I don't like playing the guessing game and we shouldn't have to do so. Fact is, his gun is not NIB and since ads require pictures we should be able to see the actual item for sale, not the nicest looking 'stock photo' someone is able to find. To not post a picture of what you are selling is pure laziness and IMO deceptive.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Oh, he clearly stated he would pay the agreed upon price if the seller said no. That only makes it a little less of a jerk move.

Does it hurt to ask at that point? Only if you don't care that most people would consider you slimy for doing so. I don't want to associate with people who are ok with most people considering them to be slimy.

i missed that point, thanks. Still agree it's pretty slimy.

moosehead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Just to be clear. If I see something in the classifieds and it looks like a decent price I will send you a PM and say I will take it, where can we meet. At that point technically I have agreed to pay that amount. I'm not going to try to stand there and haggle with you. I'm just going to ask you. Technically I've agreed to your asking price. I have the money in my pocket we technically agreed upon which is your asking price. When I show up to make the deal don't get all butt hurt if I ask you if that's your bottom dollar. You all have your quirks and I'm allowed mine. I'm just saying if someone asking you if that's your bottom dollar when you meet and makes you butt hurt and sore then you should put me on ignore.

just curious. Is it okay if I ask how far over the agreed upon price you're willing to go at the meetup? If that's cool, you're being fair.

Top Bottom