Does 3+ months seem reasonable for form 3 xfer?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LINEOFDEFENSE

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    LAFAYETTE, IN
    NFA Newbie, purchased 2 supressors from gunbroker dealer. Supressors purchased on 5-13 & 5-20-2015. Call dealer evey month, he assures me that he has them in stock and is only waiting on atf approval to transfer to INFFL (Applied Ballistics). Then, I can fill out the paperwork AND BEGIN the waiting process.

Trying to find out if this is "normal" as dealer said, or if he's on crack and I should just repurchase the suppressors if I can find them locally in stock. Supressors were 22lr sparrow and 762sakr. But, the question again is; would the current wait time (just under 4mos) be considered unreasonable. Please dont redirect me somewhere else; just answer if you know. Found lots of data on form 1 and form 3 transfers online...very little on current form 3 wait times.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    My last form 3's took only about one month. That was for a two form 3 that were submitted on 5/14, so close to your dates. I had the form 4's submitted on 6/9.

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    I bought an SBR off gun broker and the form3 took right around 2 months. You could call the ATF directly about it but I am the guy that believes if you bother them enough they just toss your papers toward the back of the pile. True or not Im sure they get sick of people always calling and do something about it. To answer your question, no I don't think it is way out of line.

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    I try to buy a bunch of other non class3 items to take my mind off of it:patriot: Good news is I bought the last 5 items all around the same time so hopefully I won't need much else so the wait should be over soon.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    I think there are two factors working against all ATF approvals:

1) There are MORE people than ever applying for NFA items.
    2) The ATF is NOT adding staff to handle the increased demand. (Do you really think the Obama Administration would want to stramline this process?)

Yes, 2-3 months seems about normal these days.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I think there are two factors working against all ATF approvals:

1) There are MORE people than ever applying for NFA items.
    2) The ATF is NOT adding staff to handle the increased demand. (Do you really think the Obama Administration would want to stramline this process?)

Yes, 2-3 months seems about normal these days.
    It has gotten better. A couple of years ago it was taking 6-7 months.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010

I think that this is inaccurate. I just got a Form 4 back with a name that wasn't available as a choice on NFA Tracker, which tells me that it's a pretty new examiner.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    They added more examiners last year, but no more overtime like last year according to the newsletters. I have 1 Form 1 was approved on a Sunday.

Unlike Form 1 and 4, almost 100% of the Form3's are faxed directly to NFA branch, then paper approval mailed back to the transferring dealer.

my most recent one was received by NFA on 6/17, approved by on July 7, but according to the dealer, NFA approval was lost in the mail and I ended up spending 3 months anyway.

Jigga

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2010
    our outgoing Form 3's been taking about 1-3 weeks. Just depends who's workload is larger I guess. There is no assigned examiners anymore.

LINEOFDEFENSE

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    LAFAYETTE, IN
    Well, all I can say is thankyou for all of your responses. And lesson learned: find a indiana dealer with nfa item in stock...even if the price is higher; its worth it.

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    I bought a DDmk 18 off a dealer in AZ and it took about 2 months just to get it to my guy in Valparaiso. I would have much rather got it right from him but he could not get his hands on one either. If you don't mind the 2 hour drive stop in and see them. I'm sure they have some places near Indy but the one I looked at seemed like a smaller outfit only there a few hours a day.

Top Bottom