• Total voters

radar8756

Works for Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   1
    Sep 21, 2010
    Westville, IN
    We moved to Michigan in 1986 and all you needed to cross over to Canada was a Drivers License ... then 9/11 happened requirements were upgraded to Passport ... but Border States like Michigan could issue True ID Drivers License (for a extra $40) which allowed Ground Crossing ( No Plane or Boat ) ... so next renewal we paid the extra ... came with a RFID chip & a sleeve to prevent it being scanned unless you took it out .... then 2010 move to Indiana - which took the Michigan DL and required Extra paperwork to just get a plain Indiana DL ... with NO RFID

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I've been to Mexico and Canada. But that was post the need for a passport. I always wanted to take my mom to Belgium (that is where her mom was born). Sadly her health was failing before I could afford to take her there.

I really can't think of any country's I really want to visit at the moment except maybe to France to shake the hand of our French brother. I'd like to see some of the great places he has shared with us.

Sylvain, French by birth with American in his heart! :patriot:

Scuba591

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Noblesville
    Mexico, Canada, Bonaire and all over the Caribbean... the Philippines twice, Indonesia this year, England, Scotland I know
    i have that darn thing somewhere... now where did I leave it?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I've been to Mexico and Canada. But that was post the need for a passport. I always wanted to take my mom to Belgium (that is where her mom was born). Sadly her health was failing before I could afford to take her there.

I really can't think of any country's I really want to visit at the moment except maybe to France to shake the hand of our French brother. I'd like to see some of the great places he has shared with us.

Sylvain, French by birth with American in his heart! :patriot:

:)

I've been to Belgium a bunch of times.
    It doesnt feel like it's a foreign country to me since I don't have to stop at the border, don't need a passport and they speak the same language.
    I can also use the same currency.
    Great food and great people.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    FWIW, here is a summation of my experiences regarding customs and passports while traveling Europe last May.

US to England to Belgium by airplane; passport required, asked a bunch of questions by a Belgium customs official in Brussels before allowed entry. I was surprised that she had never heard of Ieper, and didn't seem to be aware that there are WWI sites in Belgium.

Belgium to England by train; passport required, asked a whole bunch of questions by an English customs official in Brussels before allowed on the train. I mean a whole lot of questions, so many that I was beginning to wonder if they were going to let me in. She was finally happy when I told her I am retired, that was like the magic password.

England to Spain by airplane; passport required, went through customs in Barcelona, but not asked anything.

Spain to France by airplane; passport to get on plane, but no customs or questions.

France to Italy by train; passport required once on train, but no customs or questions.

Keep in mind there were usually separate lines for Europeans and non-Europeans so presumably the experience would be different depending upon the line. Also, I was traveling by myself the two times I was grilled, so that may have been a part of it.

Last edited:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    FWIW, here is a summation of my experiences regarding customs and passports while traveling Europe last May.

US to England to Belgium by airplane; passport required, asked a bunch of questions by a Belgium customs official in Brussels before allowed entry. I was surprised that she had never heard of Ieper, and didn't seem to be aware that there are WWI sites in Belgium.

Belgium to England by train; passport required, asked a whole bunch of questions by an English customs official in Brussels before allowed on the train. I mean a whole lot of questions, so many that I was beginning to wonder if they were going to let me in. She was finally happy when I told her I am retired, that was like the magic password.

England to Spain by airplane; passport required, went through customs in Barcelona, but not asked anything.

Spain to France by airplane; passport to get on plane, but no customs or questions.

France to Italy by train; passport required once on train, but no customs or questions.

Keep in mind there were usually separate lines for Europeans and non-Europeans so presumably the experience would be different depending upon the line. Also, I was traveling by myself the two times I was grilled, so that may have been a part of it.

You're probably right about that.
    I've been thru the British customs a few times, both at the airport and when arriving by boat (also by train), and was never asked any question.
    Not even how long I was planning to stay or what I was going to do in the country.
    I was just asked for passport or ID card.

I drove to all the other European countries I visited so I never even seen a custom officer when crossing the border.

You don't even have to stop or slow down at most border crossings.

I was just stopped by French customs on the highway one time shortly after leaving the airport in Paris.
    I told the officer I had already been searched at the airport (it was true and he believed me) and he just asked me what country I had just visited.

I answered "United States" and he just told me I was free to go (he didn't even check the stamp on my passport to see if it was true, or asked for any ID).Merica! :patriot:
    I guess if I had said "Columbia" he might have searched the car. :dunno:

Another time when coming back from Chicago to Paris I was asked by the French custom officer "Why are you wearing gloves?" :): I didn't realized it wasn't as cold as Chicago and had put my gloves on when getting off the plane.
    I just told him it was freaking cold in Chicago, to which he replied "Oh, is it?" and gave me my passport back.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    :)

I've been to Belgium a bunch of times.
    It doesnt feel like it's a foreign country to me since I don't have to stop at the border, don't need a passport and they speak the same language.
    I can also use the same currency.
    Great food and great people.

I feel the same way when I go to Michigan.

:D

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    They do. The punch a hole in it so you can't use it but you can keep it.

If it were me I would throw the expired, hole punched passport it in my suitcase when traveling out of the country. This would be my backup ID if I were to lose my current passport and wallet while traveling out of the country. While the expired passport would not be valid to travel with I feel like when I showed up at the US Embassy to sort out my lost passport being able to hand them my formerly valid passport would be a great starting point. The alternative is standing there at the embassy desk saying, "Hi, I'm Billy Bob and this is my wife/cousin Daisy Duke. We lost our passports and all our ID's and we want to get back home to Kentucky. Can you help me?"

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    If it were me I would throw the expired, hole punched passport it in my suitcase when traveling out of the country. This would be my backup ID if I were to lose my current passport and wallet while traveling out of the country. While the expired passport would not be valid to travel with I feel like when I showed up at the US Embassy to sort out my lost passport being able to hand them my formerly valid passport would be a great starting point. The alternative is standing there at the embassy desk saying, "Hi, I'm Billy Bob and this is my wife/cousin Daisy Duke. We lost our passports and all our ID's and we want to get back home to Kentucky. Can you help me?"

Hmm, never thought about that. I always make several photocopies of all our docs.

Top Bottom