Do you Inform if pulled over while carrying?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you inform if pulled over while carrying in Indiana?

• Total voters

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    My response was nothing. Quit trying for the pat on the head.

You don't have to answer. Shut. Your. Baconhole.

If the officer asks, "Do you have any firearms in your vehicle?", you recommend total silence.

That surprises me as it strikes me as being likely to escalate the situation. I am not saying I think you are wrong, just that your answer surprises me.

Thank you for your input and more input is welcomed!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Daughter in law because she didn't know any better informed officer she was carrying, was told get out of car, put hands on car and officer took her gun off her. When returned unloaded and put in back seat…..she felt humiliated as traffic went by. My son had a good talk with the chief of police over it after he contacted ISP about it. She got educated fast and learned the lesson as one poster said….."why would you inform?" If they wanted you to inform they would make it the law.

I've had similar encounters twice when I informed; One moving violation that I had no choice but to inform and one for being "parked" :naughty: as a youth. The first instance I had no choice; My holstered pistol was sitting on my registration in the glove box. (fixed) The second instance I was asked if there was a weapon in the car and I answered honestly and directly... same basic treatment as your daughter. gun ended up unloaded in the trunk and told not to retrieve until I left the area.

If the officer asks, "Do you have any firearms in your vehicle?", you recommend total silence.

That surprises me as it strikes me as being likely to escalate the situation. I am not saying I think you are wrong, just that your answer surprises me.

Thank you for your input and more input is welcomed!

Agreed. Total silence is rude (and expect a ticket, not a warning when you are rude) and most likely assumed as an affirmative at best, being a combative jerk at worst.

Would "There is nothing illegal in the vehicle officer." be any better? or simply a more polite affirmation of the fact that it is indeed there? (giving a non-answer vs no response)

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    That surprises me as it strikes me as being likely to escalate the situation.

Being quiet is de-escalation.

Total silence is rude (and expect a ticket, not a warning when you are rude) and most likely assumed as an affirmative at best, being a combative jerk at worst.

It's an infraction. That can be taken care of.

When the cop shoots you with your own pistol, that is much harder to take care of.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Sample questions and responses:

Officer: Do you know why I pulled you over?
    Me: No, sir/ma'am. Why did you?

Officer: Do you have any illegal weapons or drugs in the vehicle?
    Me: No, sir/ma'am.

Officer: Do you have any weapons AT ALL in the vehicle?
    Me: I am licensed to carry a handgun, and it is on my right hip.

GeorgiaBoy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2014
    Indiana
    The only time I've been pulled over in Indiana was in Daleville. I informed the officer I was carrying. He never asked to see the gun or my ltch. He was very cool about it And let me off with a much lower fine than I should have gotten. I didn't realize I was in a school zone, and he could have given me a hefty speeding ticket.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    No I don't.......even when asked.
    It's not their business, and I am under the impression that some officers do not have proper gun handling skills.
    Plus I don't like to have my guns coon fingered.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    I checked the Yes, but only if (other reason) box because I have a continuum for traffic stops.

1. I do not inform about weapons. I keep my registration in the visor and have it and my DL ready before the officer gets to the window and I have my hands on the steering wheel, easily seen. This is pretty easy because they usually don't jump out and run right up to the car. Answer most questions honestly. I think answering benign questions puts the officer at ease. Where you going? Where you been? those kind of questions. I may be in a car similar to one used in a hit and run or a robbery and I want them to catch the real bad guy as soon as possible. A copy of my LTCH is also in the visor but I don't get it out unless we go to 2.

2. Do you have any weapons in the car? I have no stickers of any kind on my car, so, if I am asked this by the officer, he has already (in my mind, anyway) given me an insight into his mindset. If I were an officer, I would assume everyone has a weapon and act appropriately to that assumption. I will simply state that there is nothing illegal in my car and he can see my LTCH if he wishes. I will tell him it's in the visor so he will be comfortable with me retrieving it.

3. Step out of the car. If it comes to this I feel that I HAVE to inform the officer I am carrying. Something is already amiss and I am going to be disarmed and detained whether I am ready or not. I will lock my doors upon exiting.

INgunowner

ARC Solutions
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 3, 2012
    Henry County
    My personal policy has always been to inform as a matter of courtesy, however this is due to some visual and environmental handicaps.
    First being my physical stature, and mannerisms.
    Followed closely by the nature of my employment which is primarily nocturnal.
    While it robs my opinion of merit, I thankfully have had very little experience with incompetent LEOs none of which involved traffic stops.
    As such I feel no need to avoid the trampling of my liberty or to fear for my safety due to poor firearms handling during a traffic stop.
    The officers I have personally dealt with have all been professional and have responded in a calm manner when presented with my LTCH information.

To answer your question Bubba,
    Yes I have informed an officer that I was carrying a firearm as the passenger of a vehicle that was not mine.
    However, the fact was all 3 of us were carrying, and the answer to the classic "Where are you guys heading?" question was "To the Gunshow, Sir".
    I credit my success to appearance, demeanor, and the ability to snap off a "Sir" (or ma'am) as the situation dictates.
    My results are no doubt atypical, and due to any number of factors probably wont apply to you. (YMMV)

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I checked the Yes, but only if (other reason) box because I have a continuum for traffic stops.

1. I do not inform about weapons. I keep my registration in the visor and have it and my DL ready before the officer gets to the window and I have my hands on the steering wheel, easily seen. This is pretty easy because they usually don't jump out and run right up to the car. Answer most questions honestly. I think answering benign questions puts the officer at ease. Where you going? Where you been? those kind of questions. I may be in a car similar to one used in a hit and run or a robbery and I want them to catch the real bad guy as soon as possible. A copy of my LTCH is also in the visor but I don't get it out unless we go to 2.

2. Do you have any weapons in the car? I have no stickers of any kind on my car, so, if I am asked this by the officer, he has already (in my mind, anyway) given me an insight into his mindset. If I were an officer, I would assume everyone has a weapon and act appropriately to that assumption. I will simply state that there is nothing illegal in my car and he can see my LTCH if he wishes. I will tell him it's in the visor so he will be comfortable with me retrieving it.

3. Step out of the car. If it comes to this I feel that I HAVE to inform the officer I am carrying. Something is already amiss and I am going to be disarmed and detained whether I am ready or not. I will lock my doors upon exiting.

This is why I voted "yes, but other reason".
    If I have to do something like stepping out of the car.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Why inform even if you step out, even if you have to go back to his car and sit in it? Is it against the law to carry….? Did anyone tell them they have a cell phone or a pocket knife….? Got a brown paper bag on your seat thats your lunch, could be dope…..did you inform them that there is a ham sandwich inside…? You have the right to remain silent…..think its in the Constitution somewhere. And according to one Indiana court case the Officer should not even be asking if you have a gun in the first place, it has nothing to do with the traffic stop. There is no grounds for them asking or taking your legal weapon from you……not even for officer safety, they can ask all they want. "I have no illegal weapons officer, am I free to go." Repeat until you are free to go.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    The last time I was pulled over was about 6 years ago in Mishawaka by MPD. For speeding-:whistle:

He never ask and I never informed. Maybe it was my work scrubs and hospital ID. :dunno:

Oh, didn't even get a ticket!

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    In MI we are required to inform. I am in IN a lot but really haven't decided if I would inform or not. Considering I haven't been pulled over since High School 30 some years ago, I am not overly concerned about it.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    15th Street, Bedford
    I inform if asked but only if asked. I also answer all their stupid "would you like to incriminate yourself?" questions but try my best to keep it lax and turn the entire ordeal into a bull$#itting session instead of a traffic stop. I'd wager most of the hard@$$ "am I free to go" folks here on INGO sing like canaries when the blue lights are flashing behind them. It's okay to be a decent person, guys.

I moved here from Ohio. In Ohio there's a duty to inform. It's extremely stupid. "Why don't I go ahead and add a level of nervousness for both of us to this interaction, officer?" They have business to attend to and I need to be getting on my way. But, first, we'll go ahead and add an unnecessary step to this whole process. Dumb.

I was once in a vehicle with several guns (on the way to a gun show) and Johnny Law pulled us over. He asked the driver (who was armed) if he was armed, if it was loaded (yet another stupid step) and then did him the "favor" of running his gun for him. In Ohio, cops have the authority to secure a firearm during the interaction. It's for their safety. For their safety, they'll help you remove a loaded firearm from your person and/or a compartment in your vehicle then they'll take it back to their car to check if it's stolen. No asking for permission to search it, they're doing you a favor.

So, this dude was so excited to give the driver a pep talk about the difference between loaded and unloaded (which, in Ohio means any ammo in the gun or "readily available" while in a vehicle) he completely missed the shotgun under my feet and didn't ask any of the rest of us if we were carrying. I wasn't going to offer up that info and exacerbate the situation. After returning the "legally purchased and not stolen" handgun he issued the driver a ticket and we were on our way.

I've been pulled over several times by Cincinnati and area PDs, none of those interactions were nearly as scary as the one with the Highway Patrol officer. Part of it was having passengers but the biggest part was Mr. Antsy.

I got pulled over the day I moved here. I'd heard it was a lot easier for Indiana PDs to extort money from folks while operating unmarked vehicles but I never gave much thought to the prevalence of said vehicles. Well, it's true. They're all over the place!

Deputy Dan walked right past the 27 pro-gun stickers I have plastered all over my Jeep, asked me the typical questions then let me go with a warning and a, "Welcome to Indiana." If anything, I think those stickers may have helped. It was a welcome change from Cincinnati PD who walks right up, "Do you have any weapons in the vehicle?"

The biggest issue for me in law enforcement stops isn't informing about the one on my person, it's the one(s) in the cabin or trunk. Would I allow them to search the locked trunk? Here in Indiana that's easy. "No." But in Ohio, they have the right to secure it. I'd be required to exit my vehicle, open the locked door, open the locked trunk (a Tuffy strong box) and then remove the firearm(s) for safe keeping. I'm really not sure how officer safety is jeopardized by firearms in that position but Ohio says it is.

Would I inform if the passenger? Again... only if asked.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    My response was nothing. Quit trying for the pat on the head.

You don't have to answer. Shut. Your. Baconhole.

Kirk and I are in complete agreement here, alert the presses!

If you simply do not possess the ability to remain silent when asked a question (any weapons or drugs in the vehicle?), politely tell the officer you aren't answering the question. That is not lying.

He may assume, and probably should regardless, that you are armed. No big deal.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Not trying to ruffle any feathers but in my experience it seems to make an officer a little calmer if you tell him what you have and/or where it is located.

Some carriers have had their pistols disassembled.
    Some carriers have had their own pistols pointed at them.
    Some carriers have had guns drawn on them.

Ohio is a "inform" state.
    Didn't go well for this guy
    Language warning. Officer goes ballistic.
    [video=youtube;kassP7zI0qc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kassP7zI0qc[/video]

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    Some carriers have had their pistols disassembled.
    Some carriers have had their own pistols pointed at them.
    Some carriers have had guns drawn on them.

Ohio is a "inform" state.
    Didn't go well for this guy
    Language warning. Officer goes ballistic.

Wow, that was a disturbing video. If the law is to inform ASAP, the guy should have. The cop had attitude before the situation. At one point did the cop basically say he wanted to pull his
    Glock and shoot the guy. I really did not want to watch it again to confirm that.

Top Bottom