• Do you inform and how do you carry?

• Total voters

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I used to think honesty is the best policy. So I would inform that I was carrying.

Then I took a Defensive Pistol class taught by the Boone County Sheriff. And I asked him this very question. "Should I inform?" his answer was, "Why would you want to?"

So I won't inform.
    I like this answer, I was pulled over, by the Shelbyville PD., one night after work, the thread is here somewhere, and I was NOT asked, AFTER he ran my DL, and since I am NOT "supposed" to "carry", I did NOT tell ...

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    central IN
    I only inform if it's a traffic stop. So it depends...

• If asked if I was carrying a weapon, I would mention the LTCH right before saying yes.
    • If it was a traffic stop, I would just include the LTCH with the other paperwork.
    • Otherwise, I wouldn't say anything.

I voted for door #2, as that's my usual preference.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    I did not see the option for the number of times we were instructed to hand the officer our pistols(for the sake of officer safety, would it not have been better to leave it in the holster or have him remove it?) or had the officers remove the pistols from our holsters...

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    central IN
    I would have the officer remove the weapon from my holster. If there is then an "UD", it's chargeable to the officer instead of me.

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    I have 3 friends who are LEO's and have asked each one of them how I should handle a traffic stop. Each one said I should inform and 2 of the 3 said they will take the gun for the duration of the stop for safety and to make sure it doesn't come up stolen. The other one said it depends on the situation/his mood on wether he would take the gun. While I will never lie to Law Enforcemence, I will also never give information that I am not legally required to.

I answered I CC and no I will not inform. (Assuming I am in IN where I am not required to.)

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    I don't hardly ever get pulled over. It's been probably 20 years since the last time I was pulled over. OC vs CC time is about equal. Either way, I would not inform. Why would I?

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I voluntarily informed the last two times I got stopped for speeding ( I need to slow down!).
    I wrote a thread about the first, and because of the second, I will NEVER inform again....EVEN if I KNOW the officer may see a weapon during our interaction! To Hell with the B.S. excuse of "officer safety"!!!!! What about MY safety?!
    I made my mind up the second the idiot reached through my window and grabbed my gun out of the holster, putting him, my wife, and myself at much greater risk of being shot, than if he would have just left it alone!

My "idiot" remark is NOT Leo bashing.... Just bashing ONE particular officer who deserves it!

tgmorris99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Westfield
    I took a class from the Gwinnett County Sheriff (Georgia is a no duty to inform state) a while back and this question came up. The instructors were emphatic that one should only inform if asked or if the weapon will become visible during the interaction. The reason they gave was that if you are a law abiding citizen they really don't care if you are carrying (I'm paraphrasing here) and if they know about it then it puts the stop into an entirely different light of dealing with a potentially dangerous situation.

Top Bottom