Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

prostate

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Greencastle, IN
    So as not to derail a different thread (further) I figured I'd just start a new one and lay out my reasoning a bit on why the answer is "no". As many of you know, I investigate people shot/stabbed/robbed blah blah blah and have for years real world experience impressive resume blah blah blah. So, here's my take away.

If revolvers suck, there should be a statistical difference in who won and lost a gun fight based on who had a revolver and who did not. I have seen no such statistic in my cases. People armed with revolvers tend to prevail as often as their counterparts armed with semi-autos. Why?

Well, because capacity is seldom a deciding factor. I've said it time and time again, but one side runs out of time before either side runs out of ammo in the vast majority of cases. One side or the other is injured and flees, is scared and flees, or is incapacitated and...well, just sort of lays there usually. Even in cases where more than 5-6 shots were fired, it rarely changes the outcome. They are shooting at someone who is fleeing (and often didn't START shooting until the person was fleeing). They are shooting and missing. They are shooting at someone who's already incapacitated and their brain hasn't caught up to the fact the other guy is down and out of the fight just yet.

Next up, is when did a revolver fail and a pistol would have prevailed or vice versa. I can tell you that the shooter's worst enemy is the thumb safety. I have had way more people fail to disengage the thumb safety and get victimized while pulling a dead trigger than have ever died with an empty gun of any kind. Those people would have done better with a revolver. I can think of one incident where the first shot hit the floor plate of the guy's magazine, dumping his cartridges. A revolver would have still been functional, but I think he would have still lost because he got stitched up too fast to react even if he'd had an uzi in his hand.

On the flip side is the myth the revolver is more reliable. Folks, these days if your semi-auto won't run 500-1k rounds with zero maintenance and feed any HP bullet out there then you bought a crap gun. Revolvers can and do fail, but are simpler to maintain. A (no thumb safety) pistol is just as likely to go bang, though.

So, in most real world applications I don't see a significant difference between a revolver and a pistol. Is it the best? Probably not, but few people really carry the "best" as opposed to "the best compromise". Based on what I've seen my recommendations for Mr/Mrs Generic Gun Toter would be:

1) No thumb safety pistol
    2) Revolver
    3) 1911 style thumb safety equipped pistol
    4) Any other thumb safety equipped pistol

And learn to employ it quickly and with the element of surprise...which is significantly more important than weapon selection (as long as you can make it go bang every time...which all to often doesn't happen with a safety equipped gun under stress).
    Very nice rendition. I too am a revolver lover. I have many semi's but for some reason or another, I gravitate to my kimber K6S. It's simplicity and "ready for action" attitude makes it my favorite EDC. They have an new aluminum version coming out, but I think the heaviness and very nice trigger of the current K6S will remain on my side.

tscherry70

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 7, 2021
    Bedford
    Very nice rendition. I too am a revolver lover. I have many semi's but for some reason or another, I gravitate to my kimber K6S. It's simplicity and "ready for action" attitude makes it my favorite EDC. They have an new aluminum version coming out, but I think the heaviness and very nice trigger of the current K6S will remain on my side.
    I've been tempted to get a K6S, but i'm hesitant because of the maker. I've had several 1911's made by them that were pure garbage.
    I've heard nothing but good things about their revolvers though. I have Smiths, Rugers and Colt revolvers and they've all be excellent.

raycejones

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 24, 2023
    Ferdinand
    I was a semi-auto elitist until I shot my g-father's .30 carbine Ruger Blackhawk. That's just a fun gun to shoot. Then, the .38 didn't seem so bad. It even felt ergonomic. Natural. I've even carried it a few times.

Revolvers don't suck, but they are different. Like any tool, they have a place in the toolbox. You just have to know how to use it.
    My dad was the same way until he tried my Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan. Now he loves his wheelgun

63PGP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2018
    Boone
    I've been tempted to get a K6S, but i'm hesitant because of the maker. I've had several 1911's made by them that were pure garbage.
    I've heard nothing but good things about their revolvers though. I have Smiths, Rugers and Colt revolvers and they've all be excellent.
    I picked up a 2" version about 6 months ago. It's been perfect and I liked it so much I sold my 340PD. I'll probably pick up a 4" version if I find one gently used.

tscherry70

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 7, 2021
    Bedford
    I picked up a 2" version about 6 months ago. It's been perfect and I liked it so much I sold my 340PD. I'll probably pick up a 4" version if I find one gently used.
    Interesting, that's saying a lot if you sold your 340PD in favor of the K6S. What was your reasoning?

63PGP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2018
    Boone
    Primarily because I was consistently more accurate with the Kimber for both 38 & 357. I don't pocket carry so the weight wasn't an issue. I sold the 340 for quite a bit more than I paid for the Kimber so that worked out well.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Primarily because I was consistently more accurate with the Kimber for both 38 & 357. I don't pocket carry so the weight wasn't an issue. I sold the 340 for quite a bit more than I paid for the Kimber so that worked out well.
    I really sort of like the 3” TLE K6 but would like to shoot one a little before I commit. Used S&W revolvers since 1986 so sort of hard to switch

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I have an old shooter grade 6" w Kensight full blade rear and Patridge front.
    Like those sights way more than the orig.
    Read the new Python rear sight sucks, and that Wilson makes an upgrade.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Just saw an article from Massad Ayoob on revolvers as CCWs. Really concise info, and shared those same ideas over the years. I like them too.
    Would i give up a G45-9mm vs a 38/357mag revolver? Prolly not, but use a revolver as a BUG wouldnt be a problem for me. Done it before, would do it in a heartbeat.
    I own 5 revolvers, and wouldn't hesitate to carry any of them.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Target or hunting would be my only reason for a revolver now.
    And there are semi auto alternatives.

If I get a Delta Elite and it wins me over, proly dump my .44 mag wheelie.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    While it’s great to have choices. For me if I could only have 1 Centerfire handgun it would be hard to beat a 3 or 4” 38/357. While bonded bullets are all the rage the old 38 special 158 LSWCHP is still had to beat. And as a retired dude just trying to get home from Walmart I’ll probably not need the bonded stuff as the circumstances that I’d be justified at shooting through a windshield isn’t even there.

Top Bottom