• ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    You cannot tell me in good faith, that in 100% of encounters 5 or 6 rounds get's the job done. You are claiming people run out of time in "nearly" every situation. Nearly, on average, or statistically do not apply to every circumstance. We do not know if, when, or what kind of circumstance we will fine ourselves in. Throw a criminal or two into the mix that are amped up on narcotics or psychopathic into the mix and it's likely all your statistics will go out the window. I do not know if there is a right or wrong answer here. I just know that when I get up to walk out of the house in the morning I try to leave as prepared as I can, because I do not know what the day has in store for me.

By that logic, everyone should be carrying ARs or AKs with 5 backup mags.
    The reality is, people will carry what they feel comfortable carrying. Be it Semi-Auto pistol, or revolver. BOTH, yes BOTH are compromises.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    By that logic, everyone should be carrying ARs or AKs with 5 backup mags.
    The reality is, people will carry what they feel comfortable carrying. Be it Semi-Auto pistol, or revolver. BOTH, yes BOTH are compromises.

You think so small. This revolver is the answer...

With a proper tactical tarp, even concealed carry is doable. :-)

Disclaimer: Douche not included with minigun.

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Not out of a two inch barrel.

You misunderstand how .45 ACP works. It has nothing to do with velocity, penetration or expansion. When a soul gets to the pearly gates for judgement, if it has been sent in that direction through the use of a .45 ACP, JMB is summoned. If the soul is sent from heaven, JMB puts a call into the grim reaper and the soul is then eliminated entirely. It's kind of a ghosty thing I think.

Seriously, this has been a great thread. Lots of good info has been discussed. From what I've read, it sounds like the guidelines of carry are:

1. Don't buy a gun you won't carry (if you are buying a carry gun)
    2. Carry what you shoot best.
    3. If you have multiple calibers that you shoot equally well, choose the larger caliber over the smaller caliber.
    4. If you have multiple guns that you shoot equally well, then carry the one with the higher capacity.
    5. If you are in a domestic situation, work a job where you hunt criminals, terrorists or zombies, then capacity has a higher level of importance.
    6. If you are a criminal, deal drugs or are a general thug, then capacity plays no role at all. In fact, carrying an empty gun is preferred if you are stupid enough to be one of the aforementioned and think a gun is a good idea.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    You think so small. This revolver is the answer...

With a proper tactical tarp, even concealed carry is doable. :-)

Disclaimer: Douche not included with minigun.

These don't require a tax stamp...

hex2_zpswsicvtoy.jpg

45sRfun

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Good post. Revolvers are the best guns for reloaders, one of my favorite aspects is not having to chase brass, and you have a much larger working window with respect to ammo.
    Except that I read how some cops died reloading because they bothered to empty their cylinders like they do in at the range instead of just banging them out on the ground and getting to reloading quicker. So as you train so goes it under stress with muscle memory it seems. I confess to also saving my brass because I get special offers for sending brass back to my ammo supplier.

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    I didn't feel under gunned running errands last week wearing a Blackhawk .45 in western rig. Hell, there were even 25 cartridges in the belt around my waist. I would have taken a Colt SAA but then would have been under gunned because of the need to carry the hammer over an empty chamber.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    So as not to derail a different thread (further) I figured I'd just start a new one and lay out my reasoning a bit on why the answer is "no". As many of you know, I investigate people shot/stabbed/robbed blah blah blah and have for years real world experience impressive resume blah blah blah. So, here's my take away.

If revolvers suck, there should be a statistical difference in who won and lost a gun fight based on who had a revolver and who did not. I have seen no such statistic in my cases. People armed with revolvers tend to prevail as often as their counterparts armed with semi-autos. Why?

Well, because capacity is seldom a deciding factor. I've said it time and time again, but one side runs out of time before either side runs out of ammo in the vast majority of cases. One side or the other is injured and flees, is scared and flees, or is incapacitated and...well, just sort of lays there usually. Even in cases where more than 5-6 shots were fired, it rarely changes the outcome. They are shooting at someone who is fleeing (and often didn't START shooting until the person was fleeing). They are shooting and missing. They are shooting at someone who's already incapacitated and their brain hasn't caught up to the fact the other guy is down and out of the fight just yet.

Next up, is when did a revolver fail and a pistol would have prevailed or vice versa. I can tell you that the shooter's worst enemy is the thumb safety. I have had way more people fail to disengage the thumb safety and get victimized while pulling a dead trigger than have ever died with an empty gun of any kind. Those people would have done better with a revolver. I can think of one incident where the first shot hit the floor plate of the guy's magazine, dumping his cartridges. A revolver would have still been functional, but I think he would have still lost because he got stitched up too fast to react even if he'd had an uzi in his hand.

On the flip side is the myth the revolver is more reliable. Folks, these days if your semi-auto won't run 500-1k rounds with zero maintenance and feed any HP bullet out there then you bought a crap gun. Revolvers can and do fail, but are simpler to maintain. A (no thumb safety) pistol is just as likely to go bang, though.

So, in most real world applications I don't see a significant difference between a revolver and a pistol. Is it the best? Probably not, but few people really carry the "best" as opposed to "the best compromise". Based on what I've seen my recommendations for Mr/Mrs Generic Gun Toter would be:

1) No thumb safety pistol
    2) Revolver
    3) 1911 style thumb safety equipped pistol
    4) Any other thumb safety equipped pistol

And learn to employ it quickly and with the element of surprise...which is significantly more important than weapon selection (as long as you can make it go bang every time...which all to often doesn't happen with a safety equipped gun under stress).
    Dang necro post, deserves a necro reply.

“There you go again, disrupting the force with facts”

Or words to that effect….:thumbsup:

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Except that I read how some cops died reloading because they bothered to empty their cylinders like they do in at the range instead of just banging them out on the ground and getting to reloading quicker. So as you train so goes it under stress with muscle memory it seems. I confess to also saving my brass because I get special offers for sending brass back to my ammo supplier.
    The brass in pockets myth was dispelled. The actual after action reports in Newhall discounted that as there was no brass found in any CHP pockets. It is believed the myth started in squad rooms by folks running with their own speculation of what happened!

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I came here to leave a reply. Now I am not of what I may be replying to. I like revolvers. Been shooting them for more than 50 years. They work pretty much like any other gun: you do your job, the gun will do its job.
    Welp, only gotta read “15 PAGES”…:lmfao:

Spaced out over ~ 8 years. :thumbsup:

Times they r a chain’jin

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Somewhere @BehindBlueI's has posted some statistics. I cannot remember where it was posted though.
    Post #1 says all I need to hear from him, you either believe him or you don’t. And till I have reason to believe otherwise it works for me. JMO, I’m guessing you may be of the same mind. But I’m married and I’m wrong most every day.:thumbsup:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Do revolver suck? – In some ways yes. In some ways no.

Are revolvers enough? – Sometimes yes. Sometimes no.

If revolvers were perfect semi autos would never have been developed.

If semi autos were perfect, revolvers would have fallen into disuse.

Mas had a good video on this a couple of days ago:

vtnewbie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2019
    Vermont
    Do revolver suck? – In some ways yes. In some ways no.

Are revolvers enough? – Sometimes yes. Sometimes no.

If revolvers were perfect semi autos would never have been developed.

If semi autos were perfect, revolvers would have fallen into disuse.

Mas had a good video on this a couple of days ago:

Always like listening to Mas! He covers VERSATILITY as a quality of the revolver, and I couldn't agree more. I live in a remote area, and try to keep a home and garden here. Much of my day is spent outdoors here at home doing chores, and I carry a handgun with me everywhere. On an ordinary day I may encounter everything from ground squirrels up to bears. For a while I carried a 10mm Smith, but honestly, not everything needs to be shot with something that powerful. I now carry a Smith Model 66 2 inch in a pocket, loaded with 2 .38 wadcutters for the little stuff and 4 .357 Magnums in case a bear refuses to let me get away. I have reloads of each in a pocket.

As an aside, I have walked up on bears just a couple feet away, and most of the time they run like crazy. However, more than a couple times the bear has behaved very aggressively. One big boar that tried to break into the house stood just a couple yards outside and stomped, huffed, and popped its jaws at me with no sign of stopping. A round of 12 gauge buckshot into the ground didn't seem to scare it at all - it finally turned to the side and stomped into the brush and stayed there growling until I went inside. A neighbor killed a huge boar that fall, I believe it was the same one. Neighbor said that when he skinned it, there were 5 .22 bullets and a teacup full of birdshot in it!

Reactions: Mij

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

Reactions: Mij
    Top Bottom