• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Last night I made smoked chicken with rice and cheese. So my wife takes some of the leftovers to school for lunch today. She will usually take a little extra. For some reason. I still can not cook for just two. So there is that. Well she ended up sharing with one of the new teachers.

She asked my wife which restaurant it came from ? My wife told her my Kitchen. Oh where is that I have not heard of it is it new? No my husband made it.

Do people just not cook at home?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Speaking of school... Should I take this time to remind us that they eliminated Home Ec at least a decade ago? If not more? I can personally account for 1992 being when I know firsthand when it was last taught.

That is plenty of time for working age folk to not have learned it.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Last night I made smoked chicken with rice and cheese. So my wife takes some of the leftovers to school for lunch today. She will usually take a little extra. For some reason. I still can not cook for just two. So there is that. Well she ended up sharing with one of the new teachers.

She asked my wife which restaurant it came from ? My wife told her my Kitchen. Oh where is that I have not heard of it is it new? No my husband made it.

I cook 6 days a week. Friday nights are either carryout or delivery. That's just because I like relax and do nothing after a long week at work.

Speaking of school... Should I take this time to remind us that they eliminated Home Ec at least a decade ago? If not more? I can personally account for 1992 being when I know firsthand when it was last taught.

My youngest daughter had hom ec last year at school (7th grade)

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee

At our High school they have culinary arts but I do not think that is the same?

Having grown up poor one of the things I promised myself was that someday when I had a family meals were going to be family time, so I learned to cook.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Having grown up poor one of the things I promised myself was that someday when I had a family meals were going to be family time, so I learned to cook.
    My dad, brother, and youngest son were/are all good cooks. It skipped me and my older son. :)

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

You are correct. Home Economics was the class that taught you REAL life skills:
    Cooking
    Sewing
    Balancing a checkbook
    etc

Culinary arts would be the class to prep somebody to work in the trades as a cook.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana

I'm 65, my bestie is 46, educated with two masters and a doctorate. LOL She is as non domestic as one can get. When we met she couldn't boil a hot dog or scramble an egg for breakfast.
    14-15 years now, she kinna sorta can make a grill cheese and a few breakfast items. All of them with have a dark brown crust on the outside. I either cook and she eats it, or she brings herself home carryout.
    I will say its not like one sees loads of younger people at the grocery stores.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    We usually eat lunch out after church on Sunday’s. We tried a New Mexican place this past Sunday and I have to say my wife makes better salsa and guacamole than that restaurant did.
    Imma gonna need you to show your work on this one. I need to try this salsa for myself. LOL

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    You are correct. Home Economics was the class that taught you REAL life skills:
    Cooking
    Sewing
    Balancing a checkbook
    etc

Culinary arts would be the class to prep somebody to work in the trades as a cook.
    When I was in JH School, we could take Home Economics and thats what we studied from 7th to 9th grade.
    In HS we had the option to take Gourmet Foods, that got into working a grocery budget, grocery lists, weekly meal planning, meal prep and making a dinner for your family.
    Some of the meals we made were sold in the school cafeteria.
    Times change since I graduated in 76.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    We cook almost every night and a few occasions it is frozen food/pizza. Just depends on work.

I know most of the people I directly work with do the same.

Many customers I encounter order take out... some should for their own health as their kitchens and or homes are nnnnaaaasssttty.

Reactions: Leo

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    We eat at home all but grocery night and any day we have doctor appointments. We do have a treat night 2 times a month If we haven’t been out to eat in 2 weeks.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    We cook 3-4 nights a week, but usually only do a more elaborate meal on Sunday evening.

I know of people that rarely ever cook anything at home, and if they decide to, they’d have to go to the grocery and get everything. They literally have nothing but maybe a bag of chips and soft drinks on hand!

I’d be in constant panic mode if I didn’t have the stockpiles I have.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    We always make enough at each meal to take leftovers for lunch. My wife says she is the only one out of 10 co workers. They are mostly young married women.

We just do not enjoy restaurant meals anymore, unless we are going out socially. All the waiting is a waste of my time. Even moderate priced places are $50 by the time you pay their waitress. For 1/3 that money I can grill a great steak, potatoes and set out a fresh salad. The 2/3 left buys a lot of thick Pork Chops and Chicken breasts.

Several young family people in our social circle complain about having money problems. They seem to have good jobs. I think their problem is they still go to the restaurant sometimes 3 times a day, almost every day and get a $10 cup of coffee at starbucks, driving a nice car with payments.

Four breakfast meals at McDonalds are over $25. I can make a lot of eggs and enjoy a lot of thick cut bacon for significantly less than that.

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    i don’t take cooking too serious but it is something i do daily and feel it’s important to invest, at minimum, in things you do daily… many of my friends who “cook” are honestly better off ordering take-out

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I do the cooking, have for 30+ years and make great food. ( Cleaning up is a shared chore, as is prep.) That said, we live so that cooking quality food for two is just as costly as eating out. Me cooking is the treat, eating take home is the norm.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I cook and eat at home all but Sunday lunch after church, generally.
    Something else I have noticed, not only do people eat out way too much, when they do eat at home, a lot of it is already prepared like chicken nuggets.

Top Bottom