• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    I have a loved one who is in the hospital in Louisville Ky. I live in Rural Southern Indiana. Well, today I was going to visit my loved one in the hospital as I have been doing for days now. While walking from my vehicle to the hospital, I encountered a...A human being laying in the bushes, covered in vomit, in obvious distress...actually I thought he was dead. Then I saw him move. I knew he had over dosed . I see these thing on the news every day, but never encounter them face to face. I called 911, the operator took some basic info and asked if I would be there to direct the EMS to the patient, then ended call. I stood in the intersection waiting for the EMS to arrive. Two ambulances passed by while this guy lay there, possibly dying. I flagged down a passing police car and directed them to the man laying there struggling for his life.
    I don't really know where I'm going with this, If my situational awareness hadn't been on top notch,(looking for someone to hurt me) I probably wouldn't even seen the guy, someone obviously just dumped him off near the hospital thinking he would get help.
    I don't have kids...people...talk to your children, know what they are doing, what has happened to us as a race?
    I am so glad to be back in my cave, under my rock.
    This is just the most out of the ordinary thing I saw to day. Not to mention the guy with the drum in the pedway of the hospital, or the one with ahh I can't even go there. Just talk to your kids, invade their privacy, snoop in their business, embarrass them, do what ever you have to do to keep them from doing heroin.
    This guy died. Nobody cared.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Good on you for noticing and trying to save him. Sorry to hear that you have to carry this with you, but take solace in the fact that you did what you could. No one put that guy there, sounds like he did it to himself.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I can not add much to what has already been stated.
    We put ourselves in places/situations in this life. The results of those can be either positive or as you were witness to, negative.
    I have gotten numb to all of this. Narcan while a life saver just so often extends the madness out.
    We still do what we can but to see this out in the open has to be a game changer for you.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    You did all you can good sir. I'm guessing KY doesn't have the law like IN where if you report an OD you don't get in trouble. After those douchebags dumped him outta the sled, they probably went straight to the dealers hole where that dude got his ****. It's said that the junkies think an OD means it's good stuff and they line up for it. Sad as fukk.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Talk to someone who works ER/ICU. I have a family member who is an ICU nurse. The stories are amazing.

Can't believe what people will do to themselves and others.

Don

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    If it helps, A very similar instance happened to me about 3 months ago in Columbus, In,

I was getting gas at the thortons gas station and a person fell out of his truck and started throwing up all over himself. I was unsure of the liability laws ect. so I called the Hotel in which parking lot he was in. I hovered nearby until the sirens were pulling in. At that time they guy seemed to be breathing but not in very good shape.

Many people walked by or avoided the area. Maybe they were more aware than I was.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    I witnessed a car wreck years ago. Back before cell phones I ran to the first house close asked them to call 911. Turned out one of the 4 teens I knew. One had sister she died right before my eyes that gave me nightmares for years. Fast forward to a couple years ago had friend the worked as a first responder. He as I firgured would tell me about the things he he seen as a type of therapy. Most things were astounding. They would go to therapy after certain events but that didn’t always help.

As stated early, the things people do to themselves, then take what the bible says in Ecclesiastes 9:11 ...but time and chance happen to them all. There is nothing you can do because time and chance happen to all, but yes you are right it is important to tell the our young ones stay out of the wrong places because the wrong things happen there. I didn’t tell my kids about the dumb things I did but said to stay away from them kids and places. This why is why I am thankful for the men and women that work in emergency fields. They do a job that can not be paid enough with money but with appreciation we can pay for some of the burden.

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    On a recent episode of Live PD a car struck a tree right in front of an Officer. The accident wasn't that bad but he was unable to rouse the driver to unlock the doors. Fire/Rescue arrived, broke out the windows and administered NARCAN to revive the driver. Dan Abrams reported the driver died the next day due to another Overdose. Every day a new Needle Exchange Program starts, I dont understand...............

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    Im sorry this experience was laid in front of you. Heroin is a nasty thing. The reason a human can drop another dying human off in a bush outside a hospital is because when you get to a point in your abuse of heroin you basically are not human anymore.
    Way to show your humanity.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Addicts lie cheat and steal to support their addiction. They burn every bridge imaginable. Often when family try to help they are manipulated into being enablers and can’t offer tough love with boundaries.

i see people die or have permanent brain injury from drugs and you’d be shocked how detached their family can be upon hearing the news. I used to think they were mean and heartless, then I realized that emotional distance was necessary and the fault of the addict. Not much judgement from me anymore on the users (unless they have kids) or their family. We have help in place if people want it, but usually they want the next fix.

There are month-long injections of an opioid blocker you can give people. No idea why we don’t use that and prefer methadone/suboxone instead. Other than $$$ for clinic is better for frequent med visits than only once a month.

it’s accidental suicide really

The Holy Spirit is whAt’s stronger than heroin. The success stories i’ve Heard usually revolve around religious change

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I learned what heroin does early in my youth. I went to the Fairgrounds Coliseum in 1970 to see the Yardbirds. (Actually, Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs was the headliner but I'm sticking to my story that I was there to see Clapton before he was CLAPTON.) Went into the bathroom before the show and there was a guy in a stall shooting up. He looked up and said "Man, this is great." and fell over dead. Ruined my evening and made me realize how fragile life is.

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    Thanks for all the words. Looking back, I'm not sure if he was dropped off or what. It was an odd location, he could have been hiding there taking his hit, knowing what the outcime would be then flopped out there hopeing he would be found and saved so he could get high again today.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Addicts lie cheat and steal to support their addiction. They burn every bridge imaginable. Often when family try to help they are manipulated into being enablers and can’t offer tough love with boundaries.

i see people die or have permanent brain injury from drugs and you’d be shocked how detached their family can be upon hearing the news. I used to think they were mean and heartless, then I realized that emotional distance was necessary and the fault of the addict. Not much judgement from me anymore on the users (unless they have kids) or their family. We have help in place if people want it, but usually they want the next fix.

There are month-long injections of an opioid blocker you can give people. No idea why we don’t use that and prefer methadone/suboxone instead. Other than $$$ for clinic is better for frequent med visits than only once a month.

it’s accidental suicide really

The Holy Spirit is whAt’s stronger than heroin. The success stories i’ve Heard usually revolve around religious change

As I said....I have become numb to all of this. There are reasons.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I have a question that may not have an answer.

Meth/heroin/ect other big drugs WHY START?

At work we've had this conversation and the answers I get don't satisfy.

Drug users are weak willed, They don't have a loving father, Ect. ECT.

The one they blame is they got pain killers after a medical thing and got hooked in 3 days, or some other time frame.

I just don't get it. At some point it seems everyone has been given a hydrocodone or something after a medical procedure and they don't get hooked. I'm not trying to offend or put anyone down but I've had the stuff and didn't get hooked. I really can't think of any of my friends that haven't at one time had a prescription painkiller and none of them are meth users now.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Many years ago, in a previous job position I saw plenty of drug addicts and dealers. I have heard plenty of stories as to why some have started using, but I still just don't understand how they can feel like there's no better way to deal with stuff. I have heard numerous times of people becoming addicted to pain meds and then once a Dr refuses to write scripts for more they start looking for whatever they can get. I have to wonder if advancements in medical treatment has become a contributor. I mean so many procedures have become one day outpatient proceedures and then a person is sent home with pain meds. I wonder if having a patient under direct supervision for a day or two would help some keep from becoming addicted. I just speculate that some think, well the Dr said take 1 pill for pain. Then when it still hurts they start to self medicate by taking 2 pills and next thing they know they have burned through a weeks worth of meds in a couple days. It's just messed up how out of control this epidemic has become. Then we have all these needle exchanges for addicts but diabetics have to buy their needles (at least a co pay).

Top Bottom