• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Mine's old, but rock solid. It came in a heavy clear laminate.

Not that I'd trust it, but they have electronic record of you by name. CO's call in names all the time. I've seen it, heard it on the scanner and had it done for me, when my license was buried deeper than I could quickly find. IIRC, I found my license before the return came back on me? Maybe I need to have the CO "run me" next time to verify?

I would honestly pay extra for a laminated version. They get bigger every year and harder to fit into my license holder i keep in my fishing equipment.

TLF

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2016
    Fort Wayne
    Apparently the DNR believes that Indiana hunters are some sort of wealthy upper class. The way they are going they will price many part time/casual hunters out of our sport. It would be funny if it wasn't so serious.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    My vote would be rifle/ML season starts the first Saturday after Thanksgiving, runs 9 days, ends Sunday at sun down.

ML runs from the next day (monday) through the following Sunday at sundown.

Archery starts Oct 1st-dec 29th.

I just don't like rifle season so close to the Rut. Young rutting bucks are to easy.
    Short seasons tend to make people less selective, putting even more pressure on the young bucks, especially when they are the deer most likely to move due to hunting pressure alone. Short seasons are also highly likely to increase the prevalence of driving deer as a hunting tactic.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Short seasons tend to make people less selective, putting even more pressure on the young bucks, especially when they are the deer most likely to move due to hunting pressure alone. Short seasons are also highly likely to increase the prevalence of driving deer as a hunting tactic.
    Interesting way of looking at it. I'll have to give that point of view some thought.

My main concern is getting gun season away from the rut, but I can see where that would put extra pressure on younger deer.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Interesting way of looking at it. I'll have to give that point of view some thought.

My main concern is getting gun season away from the rut, but I can see where that would put extra pressure on younger deer.
    Let me add this: When I go north to my property in Michigan, I'm there for three or four days to hunt. Limited time so I take any buck that doesn't have milk dripping from its lips. If I had more time I could be more selective.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    I know when I am pressed for time in the woods my selectiveness goes way down.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    I have had a LL comp hunting and fishing since 1993. It was a 16th birthday present from my dad. I think it was between $700-750. I did a quick inflation calculator to calculate an equivalent cost in today's money and it should be more like $1500-1600. At that price it definitely makes sense for a younger person, but not much over in my thinking. At over $3k, I just don't see it.

I was always really glad to have it, because of the convenience, and not having to go to wally world or wherever to try to buy a license before hunting or fishing, plus no need to pick up antlerless tags. BUT with our current/modern cellular abilities, there isnt much hassle to get a license, so that convenience value has decreased to me. Most of the time when I am deer hunting I have my deer not only just tagged with my info but also checked before I even field dress it or transport it.

I hunt private property and I did get stopped hauling a deer out near the road by a CO a few years ago. Guess he must have just been driving by? He asked to see my hunting license and when he saw my lifetime he didn't even look at anything else, not even the deer more than a glance. I assumed he figured if I had a lifetime license, I was probably solid on everything else too.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I just took the survey….. the only thing I wish is they would change is youth season. Make it a full week…. Taking the kids out on the weekend (1 of the only 2 weekends to hang stands) people are crashing through the woods to put stands in. I wonder how those same guys would feel if I am putting a stand up opening day of ________(whenever they hunt) I understand why they are putting stands up since they only have two weekends and work during the week… it just stinks when you’re trying to teach and get kids on deer. And yes I KNOW kids can go out during normal season but chances drop drastically which discourages youngsters which in turn reduces future hunters.

and my random price was $9000 for lifetime hunt fish….. no fricken way.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    I'm the exact opposite. If I have limited time to hunt in a year, I look at it as an easy year to gain a year in age structure. That said, I completely realize I hunt different than most folks.
    Yea.. I'll admit I am the guys who thinks I spent all this money on tags I wanna fill it. We try to really offset cost of burger with deer so I feel pressure for limited time I can hunt

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    I got this from Joe Caudell..

Please help spread the word..

Hey,

If any of y’all are on social media, chat rooms, and such…can y’all help me get the word out that the deer survey went out last week. The big problem that we are having is that many of the surveys have gone to spam and junk folders.

Every hunter who has harvested a deer or purchased a license in the last 5 years in Indiana was emailed the survey.

If someone did not receive it in their normal mailbox, I would check the spam folder or 'junk' folder. 99% of people who have emailed and asked me for the survey have found it later in the spam or junk.

A reminder will go out in the next couple of days as well so they can also just watch for that.

Thanks,

joe

* Please let us know about the quality of our service by taking this brief customer survey.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Yea.. I'll admit I am the guys who thinks I spent all this money on tags I wanna fill it. We try to really offset cost of burger with deer so I feel pressure for limited time I can hunt

I do the same, I just shoot does to offset the cost of burger. Eating my buck tag does me no harm at all.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Just got the email and finished the survey. My random comprehensive license was $7700. that’s insane. Something like 95% of Indiana is private land. It’s absolutely insane to pay the state for the ability to hunt, then pay a farmer to hunt his property, with the price of gear on top of it and if you don’t process it yourself there’s more money out the door.

DNR wants us to manage the herd but at some point it’s just not feasible in this economy. I will say I think the resident fishing license fee is fair. But I can fish all year, around my schedule. Obviously can’t do that with hunting seasons. If You want to charge these asinine fees for every different animal in the state, start buying up more land and making it accessible to the public to hunt. Make hunting more affordable for people who are just getting by. Getting more people into the woods or on a lake from low income homes imo will drastically change this current government handout culture as well as help mental health issues.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    Just got the email and finished the survey. My random comprehensive license was $7700. that’s insane. Something like 95% of Indiana is private land. It’s absolutely insane to pay the state for the ability to hunt, then pay a farmer to hunt his property, with the price of gear on top of it and if you don’t process it yourself there’s more money out the door.

DNR wants us to manage the herd but at some point it’s just not feasible in this economy. I will say I think the resident fishing license fee is fair. But I can fish all year, around my schedule. Obviously can’t do that with hunting seasons. If You want to charge these asinine fees for every different animal in the state, start buying up more land and making it accessible to the public to hunt. Make hunting more affordable for people who are just getting by. Getting more people into the woods or on a lake from low income homes imo will drastically change this current government handout culture as well as help mental health issues.
    Yeah, mine was $8200. I guess I didn't realize how the survey was being done until reading more on here. Seems like they throw out a spread of fees and figure out the curve from sure sale, to maybe, to no way. Then you take the "maybe" fee and assess feasibility and benefit?

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central

They don't want you to manage the herd. They want you to fund them.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Just finished my survey.
    The price they gave me for a lifetime hunting was something like $4805 or something stupid like that.
    At 64 years old, I won't be buying a lifetime license unless it's priced for seniors.
    I also posted a question in the comments section asking if they would consider offering a discounted license for honorably discharged veterans.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I got this from Joe Caudell..

Please help spread the word..

Hey,

If any of y’all are on social media, chat rooms, and such…can y’all help me get the word out that the deer survey went out last week. The big problem that we are having is that many of the surveys have gone to spam and junk folders.

Every hunter who has harvested a deer or purchased a license in the last 5 years in Indiana was emailed the survey.

If someone did not receive it in their normal mailbox, I would check the spam folder or 'junk' folder. 99% of people who have emailed and asked me for the survey have found it later in the spam or junk.

A reminder will go out in the next couple of days as well so they can also just watch for that.

Thanks,

joe

* Please let us know about the quality of our service by taking this brief customer survey.

I just got a couple more emails today, asking me to do the survey that I already have...

Maybe Joe and our DNR crew need to consider that they have been pricing casual hunters out of the sport for years? Maybe they are requesting results from those that deemed hunting no longer worth it years back?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I just got a couple more emails today, asking me to do the survey that I already have...

Maybe Joe and our DNR crew need to consider that they have been pricing casual hunters out of the sport for years? Maybe they are requesting results from those that deemed hunting no longer worth it years back?

I am at a crossroads of sorts.
    I have permission to hunt private property in Tippecanoe county so I buy a license to hunt deer, and a furbearers license as well.

I would like to continue hunting this property but the prices of licensing is quickly coming to the not fiscally feasible area.
    Couple this with the fact that I can hunt my own property (and I do) license exempt.
    Tippecanoe county just gives me more opportunity and additional bag limits.
    I would really like to see them offer either a reasonably priced senior life license or a reasonably priced veterans life license.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...I would really like to see them offer either a reasonably priced senior life license or a reasonably priced veterans life license...

Maybe if they just priced all licenses reasonably?

At some point they have to realize that their pricing is eliminating those that fund their paychecks?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom