DIY .22lr backstop questions. Tips welcome!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County
    Looking into building my own .22lr backstop. I'm thinking plywood box with metal backing, filled with rubber mulch. Has anybody here done this before? Won't be shooting anything more powerful than a .22lr Mini-Mag out of a rifle barrel, but WILL need to stop a lot of rounds. Wanting to know what depth of rubber mulch will be sufficient and what I can use as a cheap metal backing.

I'm thinking I'll use the following for ballistic material....
    816101002207.jpg

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Nothing better than a truck load of dirt on the ground. If I were to go with your plan then I'd get a 30 gal plastic barrel and fill it full of that rubber mulch or just plain ol' dirt. Downside is periodically replacing the barrel. I guess it just comes down to a bit of testing unless someone here has already done that testing and can share.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Search for build information on bullet boxes. Cabela's - Do-All Bullet Box customer reviews - product reviews - read top consumer ratings Here's one Cabelas sells, but I feel you are looking for something a bit more substantial in size. This pre-fabricated one also won't handle magnums. I've heard of people making similar shaped but larger boxes using AR500 for the backing.

Rubber mulch would probably work, but I wonder if sand wouldn't be a better option.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    What about a used tire backstop? Can pile enough mulch in front to catch anything that doesn't have enough energy to penetrate but does have enough to bounce back.

0750turbo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 23, 2012
    Pittsboro
    I have about 1k rounds into one of those. Works like a charm.

I mounted one of these in the center of a 4x4 sheet of 1/2" particle board. Behind the board is an either 1/2" or 3/4" solid rubber horse mat from tractor supply. Then there is about a 9-12" air gap and then another sheet of the rubber and then another sheet of the plywood. Basically the air gap is the depth of the bullet trap.

Also, I had read of some saying that they bullet trap made a lot of noise when hit so I put about 3-4 layers of aluminum backed rubber roofing patch stuff on it and it works well. I can shoot my Buckmark with a can on it out in my shop and my neighbors are non the wiser.

The idea is that if someone misses the bullet trap, it will be caught in the outer system. I stood 5' away and shot 3 rounds purposely into the plywood. All three went through the plywood and first rubber mat but when they hit the second mat they made a little mark and then fell to the ground in the air gap so I consider it aha workable system.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I mounted one of these in the center of a 4x4 sheet of 1/2" particle board. Behind the board is an either 1/2" or 3/4" solid rubber horse mat from tractor supply. Then there is about a 9-12" air gap and then another sheet of the rubber and then another sheet of the plywood. Basically the air gap is the depth of the bullet trap.

Also, I had read of some saying that they bullet trap made a lot of noise when hit so I put about 3-4 layers of aluminum backed rubber roofing patch stuff on it and it works well. I can shoot my Buckmark with a can on it out in my shop and my neighbors are non the wiser.

The idea is that if someone misses the bullet trap, it will be caught in the outer system. I stood 5' away and shot 3 rounds purposely into the plywood. All three went through the plywood and first rubber mat but when they hit the second mat they made a little mark and then fell to the ground in the air gap so I consider it aha workable system.

I will third one of those Champion Bullet Boxes. I mostly have used Colibri powerless rounds in mine but it will easily stop a regular 22LR. You would have to look for a Magnum stop but it is likely thy make them. Takes away a lot of boredom in the winter. Always remember to choose a well ventilated area as the lead and powder smoke will make you sick. At least when I got mine is was pretty cheap and it has lasted for almost ten years now. :yesway:

I do want to mention that I mounted mine similar to how the above post. It makes it better since we all miss now and then.

ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    Nothing better than a truck load of dirt on the ground. If I were to go with your plan then I'd get a 30 gal plastic barrel and fill it full of that rubber mulch or just plain ol' dirt. Downside is periodically replacing the barrel. I guess it just comes down to a bit of testing unless someone here has already done that testing and can share.

A truckload do dirt wont stop a slingshot, bullets easily skip off dirt, just like shooting at water.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    A truckload do dirt wont stop a slingshot, bullets easily skip off dirt, just like shooting at water.

Not sure I agree, the outdoor ranges in my area all use dirt berms. Are you saying that you need something in addition to the dirt or that you need something different altogether?

TiMMaY

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2014
    Martinsville
    Sorry. I should have elaborated. Wanting it to be an indoor backstop. Maybe like a 4'x8', (plywood size) up against a wall.

Just my two cents, but I would look to an air rifle for indoor use. There is not much difference compared to shooting a .22 without all of the noise and mess.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Just my two cents, but I would look to an air rifle for indoor use. There is not much difference compared to shooting a .22 without all of the noise and mess.

Yeah, I'm with Timmay on this. Unless you really want to mess with ventilation, noise dampening...

You said there would be a lot of rounds, so is this a club or organization or just a personal range? Of course, I suppose this could be in a pole barn... I guess I inferred basement when you said indoors.

kenjb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Indianapolis
    My dad built an indoor trap for his .22 target pistol some 50-55 yrs ago. He used plywood to build the box and left one side open. Inside the box he affixed a piece of 1/4" steel diamond tread plate at a 45deg. angle with the near side at the top. Worked very well, and he could harvest the shattered bullets for other uses. Remembering this kinda makes me want to build one of my own.

Top Bottom