• ...and so much more!
  • deseag007

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2016
    Lawrence (Indy)
    Hello everyone I have a few questions on the Dillon RL 550 Press:

This Saturday I am planning on attending the: Greenfield Gun Show and am seeking a Dillon RL 550 Press.
    I am currently watching one on ebay for $395.00 Dillon RL 550 B Progressive Press P N 14261 Without Conversion | eBay.

My question is on the conversion kits. I will need several calibers and some additional dies. 1) Do Lee dies work in the conversion kits? 2) What all comes with a conversion kit? 3) For powder charges do you have separate powder dispensers set for each setup? 4) What is a good price on a dillon set up with and or without a conversion kit?

Thanks for your insight.

R\ Larry

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    Hello, I can answer your questions and concerns, and give you some personal opinions as well!

1) Do Lee dies work in the conversion kits? Yes, your Lee dies will work with no problem. I personally really like Dillon and a EGW U-Die for handgun and Dillon, Redding or Forster for rifle, but its only because that is what I have always had and loaded with. Les are fine for the price and you are good to go!

2) What all comes with a conversion kit? Your conversion kits come with everything you are going to need to load that round with the exception of the tool head, dies, and if you have a case feeder, the adapter. It will come with a Shell Plate, Locator Pins, Powder Funnel.

3) For powder charges do you have separate powder dispensers set for each setup? I would tell you that IMO this is a must. Just throw Both Automatic Powder Drops and Tool heads into the cost of your caliber conversions. You can certainly take the dies out, re set up your powder drops, but if you are loading several calibers, full quick swap conversions are what makes Dillon so awesome!

4) What is a good price on a Dillon set up with and or without a conversion kit? Here is the thing about Dillon... esp the 650 and under press's... They really do not lose much value ever. If you are looking for a solid price just head to their website and take a look at what it costs. Whatever their website says is typically what you can figure paying in terms of new street price. If you are looking at used prices, take 18%-20% off the cost of what it runs new from Dillon and that is the price. I rarely if ever see Dillon equipment for under 18%.

I personally would give Brian Enos a call... He was offering free shipping once you hit a certain dollar amount. He was also giving a free Strong Mount and Bullet Tray (if I remember correctly).

Also, I know there are some site sponsors here who are super helpful and Dillon dealers right here on INGO... give those guys a shot. I bet they can match or beat other folks prices (new)!

PM either: Aszerigan or Bobcat Steel.. I have talked with both of them several times on the phone or by PM and they are great!

Here are some other options that I personally think are 100% needed/make your life easier when buying a Dillon 550

From Dillon
    -Strong Mount
    -Aluminum Roller Handle
    -550 Bullet Tray

From Uniquetek
    -Micrometer Powder Bar Kit for every powder drop
    -Turbo Bearing
    -Light-Load Shellplate Illuminator
    -550 Spent Primer Chute
    -Precision Powder Baffle

Those above upgrades will serve you very well!! Those are 100% a non-negotiable when it comes to a 550 press, and have them on my press. It makes a huge difference.

Hopefully that was helpful! Good luck in your quest my friend.

Load safe and shoot more in 2016

Bobby

Last edited:

CB45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    1. Yes, Lee dies are compatible with Dillon equipment.
    2. Conversion kits come with shell plate, powder funnel, and location pins.
    3. Seperate powder dispenser, powder die, and tool heads for each caliber is really convenient, but not necessary.
    4. My experience with Dillon equipment is that there really isn't anyone selling below MSRP. Bobcat Steel has about the same price as any online store, and he is located in Shelbyville.

The Brian Enos Dillon retail website has a lot of good information about the equipment, quick changes, etc.

Dillon Precision Reloading Frequently Asked Questions

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    Hello, I can answer your questions and concerns, and give you some personal opinions as well!

1) Do Lee dies work in the conversion kits? Yes, your Lee dies will work with no problem. I personally really like Dillon and a EGW U-Die for handgun and Dillon, Redding or Forster for rifle, but its only because that is what I have always had and loaded with. Les are fine for the price and you are good to go!

2) What all comes with a conversion kit? Your conversion kits come with everything you are going to need to load that round with the exception of the tool head, dies, and if you have a case feeder, the adapter. It will come with a Shell Plate, Locator Pins, Powder Funnel.

3) For powder charges do you have separate powder dispensers set for each setup? I would tell you that IMO this is a must. Just throw Both Automatic Powder Drops and Tool heads into the cost of your caliber conversions. You can certainly take the dies out, re set up your powder drops, but if you are loading several calibers, full quick swap conversions are what makes Dillon so awesome!

4) What is a good price on a Dillon set up with and or without a conversion kit? Here is the thing about Dillon... esp the 650 and under press's... They really do not lose much value ever. If you are looking for a solid price just head to their website and take a look at what it costs. Whatever their website says is typically what you can figure paying in terms of new street price. If you are looking at used prices, take 18%-20% off the cost of what it runs new from Dillon and that is the price. I rarely if ever see Dillon equipment for under 18%.

I personally would give Brian Enos a call... He was offering free shipping once you hit a certain dollar amount. He was also giving a free Strong Mount and Bullet Tray (if I remember correctly).

Also, I know there are some site sponsors here who are super helpful and Dillon dealers right here on INGO... give those guys a shot. I bet they can match or beat other folks prices (new)!

PM either: Aszerigan or Bobcat Steel.. I have talked with both of them several times on the phone or by PM and they are great!

Here are some other options that I personally think are 100% needed/make your life easier when buying a Dillon 550

From Dillon
    -Strong Mount
    -Aluminum Roller Handle
    -550 Bullet Tray

From Uniquetek
    -Turbo Bearing
    -550 Spent Primer Chute
    -Precision Powder Baffle

Those above upgrades will serve you very well!! Those are 100% a non-negotiable when it comes to a 550 press, and have them on my press. It makes a huge difference.

Bobby

Nice reply. Flagged for my own reference for a future purchase.

OP, I think you may be able to click on the name of that seller and choose the "send email" button... I think.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    OP, I think you may be able to click on the name of that seller and choose the "send email" button... I think.

Or, he could wait until he has 50 quality posts or become a site supporter for instant access...

Wouldn't want the newbie to get in trouble for bypassing the rules.

deseag007

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2016
    Lawrence (Indy)

From Dillon
    -Strong Mount
    -Aluminum Roller Handle
    -550 Bullet Tray

From Uniquetek
    -Turbo Bearing
    -550 Spent Primer Chute
    -Precision Powder Baffle

Bobby
    Thanks for the info it is very informative ... I will take your suggestions into consideration as I am putting my list together for my upgrade purchase.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Dillon offers a setup with the tool head, powder drop and powder die with a stand for about $105
    We are running 2 550's so we buy the quick change tool head. That way we can just switch tool heads and keep loading. Currently we're loading about 12 calibers, so its easier to have a tool head set up and ready to go.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Hello everyone I have a few questions on the Dillon RL 550 Press:

This Saturday I am planning on attending the: Greenfield Gun Show and am seeking a Dillon RL 550 Press.
    I am currently watching one on ebay for $395.00 Dillon RL 550 B Progressive Press P N 14261 Without Conversion | eBay.

My question is on the conversion kits. I will need several calibers and some additional dies. 1) Do Lee dies work in the conversion kits? 2) What all comes with a conversion kit? 3) For powder charges do you have separate powder dispensers set for each setup? 4) What is a good price on a dillon set up with and or without a conversion kit?

Thanks for your insight.

R\ Larry
    Try contacting Bobcat Steel, he is a Dillon dealer and good local people. Bobcat has usually had most stuff in stock and he sells powder, bullets and primers. He is a sight supporter of INGO.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    I'm just getting into a 650 so can't give details. So go to the Dillon site or a dealer because there's more stuff needed than just conversion kit, powder measure, charge bars, trays and primer fillers. Their site sets up one caliber and the price not counting shipping. After that there are parts that could save money instead of buying the complete conversion kit to run other calibers.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    Just a heads up.....at $395 that Ebay auction is higher than retail.

We are a dealer, yes. We'd be more than happy to help you get into a press. Shoot me a PM or give us a call at the shop if you want to talk specifics. 317-699-6127

deseag007

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2016
    Lawrence (Indy)
    Just a heads up.....at $395 that Ebay auction is higher than retail.

We are a dealer, yes. We'd be more than happy to help you get into a press. Shoot me a PM or give us a call at the shop if you want to talk specifics. 317-699-6127
    Anyone specific I should ask for? What are your hours?

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    DO IT!...BUY IT!

Youll get it set up, pull the handle and then need five feet of more face to contain the smile.

Youll also start shooting more, and better.

God bless
    -Shred

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    I've definitely started shooting ALOT more since buying my Dillon.

From Dillon
    -Strong Mount
    -Aluminum Roller Handle
    -550 Bullet Tray

From Uniquetek
    -Turbo Bearing
    -550 Spent Primer Chute
    -Precision Powder Baffle

I don't necessarily agree that any of those items are 100% necessary though. The strong mount will depend on the bench setup that you have. I don't need one with my setup. The roller handle, I guess if you sit for 4 or 5 hours straight would be nice but my loading sessions are usually 2 hours or less I don't think it would be worth the $$
    The shellplate illuminator and powder baffle are the only "necessary" items I see. Others will disagree with me, but especially if you are just starting out all of those extras listed are going to cost you more than the press itself.

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    I've definitely started shooting ALOT more since buying my Dillon.

From Dillon
    -Strong Mount
    -Aluminum Roller Handle
    -550 Bullet Tray

From Uniquetek
    -Turbo Bearing
    -550 Spent Primer Chute
    -Precision Powder Baffle

I don't necessarily agree that any of those items are 100% necessary though. The strong mount will depend on the bench setup that you have. I don't need one with my setup. The roller handle, I guess if you sit for 4 or 5 hours straight would be nice but my loading sessions are usually 2 hours or less I don't think it would be worth the $$
    The shellplate illuminator and powder baffle are the only "necessary" items I see. Others will disagree with me, but especially if you are just starting out all of those extras listed are going to cost you more than the press itself.

for the amount I load and the amount of times I have bought and sold presses, what I listed is the perfect set up (for me), and what I personally think makes the life of a loader on a 550 better! I wouldn't say that everyone NEEDs those upgrades, they are just really nice to have. For me, I couldn't imagine not at this point. Since the list of stuff I put up will run you quite a bit more money, those can all be added over time, esp the uniquetec stuff.

Top Bottom