• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Fluke is #1 in my book. I also have a wavetech that has been good for 10 years. Ibought one of those big yellow "industrial" Beckmen units it was really disappointing, needing several trips to repair. When it failed again, it became clutter in the land fill. The company bought a couple for the shop, they are junk too. I still have my old Simpson and my old Tripplett analog units, that I actually prefer when I am troubleshooting analog circuit boards.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I've got a Craftsman that has served me pretty well, but that is for light household and garage use. Got it as a wedding present believe it or not.

I've ordered a couple of Flukes over the years for my techs. One was a replacement for one that we had in the dept for 15+ years. Not sure what died on it, but the new one we ordered is NICE!

Diesel24v

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    Central
    I use the same fluke 88 that I was issued when I was in school. It has been going strong for 9 years now. I just did replace the battery last year. It has been a great meter. My brother even ran over it with one of our tractors and it didn't hurt it a bit.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I've had really good luck with my $25 Craftsman meter. I've had it about 10 years, it's been abused a lot, and it still works great, on the original batteries yet too.

Is it accurate enough for analytical laboratory type work, I doubt it, but it works just fine for garage mechanic/household tinkerer type work.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I forgot to mention I changed the battery today. Tested the old one at 7.94 volts.

I had a Craftsman clamp meter and it was junk from the first time I turned it on. It would read all over the place.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I have some Fluke bench meters, one with two extra digits, some HP's, a nice old B&K I bought back in the 80's that still goes, and a few cheap ones for beating around. I've used Beckmans that were good and had one extra digit. I'd most likely get the Fluke if it were the only one I'd have.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    It's amazing how many cheapos people will buy to use for work.

When I was turning wrenches for a living, it was time for a better DVOM so of course I bought a Fluke from the tool truck and my buddy in the next bay buys the " lower price" meter after I told him not to of course. He uses the cheaper on for about a month before he blows the fuse in it, and the fuse (apperently a special fuse) alone ended up costing twice what my Fluke meter cost for the whole meter :laugh::laugh:. Needless to say i had to hold in the I told you so, lol

Fluke all the way, buy it right the first time!

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    I use a Mac Tools, not sure who makes it. I used to have a Fluke. I found it on the road after it was ran over, it still worked fine. It died after about 5 years of use.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    Interesting thread.. I can't help but think what some of you do for a living?

My background..

Worked on a missiles launcher in the Navy for 4 years.
    Industrial Maintenance at a paint factory 5 years.
    Drove a truck for my family business 1.5 years.
    Electric Motor field service tech 12 years.
    UG coal mine electrician 1 year
    Electric Motor tech 1 year. present job...

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Interesting thread.. I can't help but think what some of you do for a living?

My background..

Worked on a missiles launcher in the Navy for 4 years.
    Industrial Maintenance at a paint factory 5 years.
    Drove a truck for my family business 1.5 years.
    Electric Motor field service tech 12 years.
    UG coal mine electrician 1 year
    Electric Motor tech 1 year. present job...

Vehicle Mechanic 14 Years Army/National Guard.
    MLRS Repairer Technician 6 Years Army...
    Industrial Maintenance 5 Years...
    Dumb farm kid...

sbsg2005

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2011
    I use a fluke 179 dvom and a fluke 337a amp clamp. After the arc flash videos and training i would never buy a cheap meter again.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Electrical Engineering Degree, but decided to Program for day job.

Extra Class HAM with an electronics bench at home and have been messing around with tiny surface mount electronics lately. Then of course all the electrician style wiring that is needed to complete the honey do list.

Top Bottom