• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I've heard innocent people called a "racist!" indirectly & directly so many times that the label has lost all credibility with me.

It's the fascists who call other people "racists!" that are the real problem IMHO.

So have I, and in fact, I ended up in a thread much like this one on a left-oriented forum I used to post on because I stood up against the racist label that they were using unfairly. I argued that calling someone a racist when they just disagree about a policy is as bad as using racist slurs yourself.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    It's interesting to me that this isn't even really an issue that I'm particularly passionate about. I just think, as I've said, that when people use racial slurs they should be called out on that. I find it interesting that that has generated more heat on this forum than the slurs themselves.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    It's interesting to me that this isn't even really an issue that I'm particularly passionate about. I just think, as I've said, that when people use racial slurs they should be called out on that. I find it interesting that that has generated more heat on this forum than the slurs themselves.

You realize you've probably got Aryan's posting in various boards just a rise out of you.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    J My ancesters are from France , although I have never had that thrown at me....yet.

Perhaps because you surrender before they have the chance? :D

Calling them those other things, assuming they are true, attacks their bad behavior. Calling them a *N* word attacks their race along with their bad behavior. There's a world of difference between the two insults.

Actually no there isn't a world of difference between them. In my view they both mean pretty much the same thing. And some of them wouldn't be able to understand that many words at once. :rolleyes:

Have you?

Last edited by a moderator:

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008

So, have you ever participated anywhere online where someone has made a comment about "black pride" (or related)? If so, could you point me to where you asked them that question? I'd really like to see what the result was.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008

It's somethign you're "not particularly passionate about" but it's something you've argued heatedly enough to get at least one thread shut down and then felt the need to start another thread on the topic.

I'm kind of curious to see what you are passionate about.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    Sheesh.. I go to work all day and miss out on all this fun. What in the WORLD was I thinking?!

I won't say that I'm above telling or laughing at tasteless jokes. But I know my audience when I do. What's appropriate in my buddy's garage while drinking beer is not appropriate at my grandmother's dinner table. Just as what's appropriate on INGO isn't appropriate on MDShooters and vice versa.

I can understand being tired of catering to a increasing PC world, and God knows I'm tired of it myself. But one thing to keep in mind when posting here is that INGO is subject to search engines and the mods don't want us perceived as a bunch of racist gun-toting rednecks. It doesn't do the 2A community any good, nor does it cast the Hoosier state in a favorable light. We all know better, but the guy who comes across the site via Google doesn't. Again, perception is reality.

I would hope it's not just the mods that don't want INGO perceived as a bunch of racist gun-toting rednecks, but I believe this comment is spot-on.

I would just like to take this opportunity to remind everyone, especially those that feel the need to disagree with someone to the point of completely derailing a thread, that we have several other options for disagreeing with someone:

1) Take it to PMs. Copy or forward the message to a moderator if you really feel the issue is that important or if you want a (relatively unbiased) third party to mediate. (Yes, this HAS been done before on sensitive issues).

2) Utilize the reputation system. You can leave negative rep as well as positive rep. I strongly encourage everyone to fill in the field requesting a reason for the rep point. Moderators CAN see rep for a person the same as that person sees it through the UserCP in case anyone feels as though they are being harassed through this system.

3) Utilize the "Report this Post" option. When you report a post you feel is offensive, inappropriate, or otherwise against the rules, the board sends an email to all of the moderators all at once with the information you provide as an explanation as well as a link to the post and a link to the thread it's posted in. Usually the post is handled immediately, but sometimes we moderators discuss it before an action is taken.

I don't mean to suggest these options to discourage healthy debate, only as an option to the personal attacks we seem to be seeing a lot of lately. Don't argue in front of the kids -- they might think we're getting a divorce.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    I would hope it's not just the mods that don't want INGO perceived as a bunch of racist gun-toting rednecks, but I believe this comment is spot-on.

See there you go again, using the r word. Having been born in the heart of Appalachia, I get really tired of people running down rednecks or using the term hillbilly. I am really hurt by this... <sniff> <sniff>... you guys are mean....

I think it is time to listen to one of my old favorites "Rednecks, White Socks and Blue Ribbon Beer".

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    See there you go again, using the r word. Having been born in the heart of Appalachia, I get really tired of people running down rednecks or using the term hillbilly. I am really hurt by this... <sniff> <sniff>... you guys are mean....

I think it is time to listen to one of my old favorites "Rednecks, White Socks and Blue Ribbon Beer".
    Don't make me smack you. ;)

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I am not a racist or hang around any racist. I have white friends, black friends, hispanic friends and asian friends. They all know my beliefs and we are still all friends. I am just as proud to be a white American as they are to be an XX American. Why shouldn't I be? I have never doled out any racial slurs but have been the recipient of many. Dross you start a thread that you know will incite controversey and then just sit back and what it broil. What was your real purpose of this little excercise? What satisfaction have you gained. To be honest I don't believe that you are sincere in your answers and that you simply like to instigate controversey. I hope that you have acheived your desired results. As so eloquently posted above..... I'm outta here!

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    This debate has stirred up quite a bit of rational thought. I'd like to keep it that way, so I'm offering this: PLEASE do not use the *N* word. Don't use it an any context. I've edited it out of all the posts and quotations, but otherwise left every other word un-touched. I'd list a whole slew of words I don't want to see here, but then I'd have to edit my own post down to a couple hundred of these ********************************************************************

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    PM or E-Mail them instead of BICKERING in a legitimate thread that had nothing to do with Race, Slurs or Heritage. Believe me, your chastising isn't going to change the mind of the poster if he/she are predisposed in their thoughts

Sheesh.. I go to work all day and miss out on all this fun. What in the WORLD was I thinking?!

I would just like to take this opportunity to remind everyone, especially those that feel the need to disagree with someone to the point of completely derailing a thread, that we have several other options for disagreeing with someone:

1) Take it to PMs. Copy or forward the message to a moderator if you really feel the issue is that important or if you want a (relatively unbiased) third party to mediate. (Yes, this HAS been done before on sensitive issues).

2) Utilize the reputation system. You can leave negative rep as well as positive rep. I strongly encourage everyone to fill in the field requesting a reason for the rep point. Moderators CAN see rep for a person the same as that person sees it through the UserCP in case anyone feels as though they are being harassed through this system.

3) Utilize the "Report this Post" option. When you report a post you feel is offensive, inappropriate, or otherwise against the rules, the board sends an email to all of the moderators all at once with the information you provide as an explanation as well as a link to the post and a link to the thread it's posted in. Usually the post is handled immediately, but sometimes we moderators discuss it before an action is taken.

I don't mean to suggest these options to discourage healthy debate, only as an option to the personal attacks we seem to be seeing a lot of lately. Don't argue in front of the kids -- they might think we're getting a divorce.

:rolleyes: Mom, I've been a very very good boy and tried to steer this miscreant on the right path But he continues to stir the :poop: and :horse: a dead horse for :nopity:

Your Very Good Boy,

sarge

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Wow, this has been a very interesting read! To respond to the OP's original question of whether there is anything that should be considered "too far:" 100% no. The beauty of the country we live in is that there isn't a line drawn as to what can and can't be said; regardless of how idiotic and baseless it may be. You should be allowed to say whatever racist, homophobic, sexist, or otherwise bigoted statement you wish to make and I should be allowed to think you're an idiot for being so narrow-minded.

To speak to the second question posed as to whether we have a moral obligation to confront these types of statements: 100% no. I can definitely understand how if there is a group of us standing around and someone makes a racist comment that I don't protest then I could appear to agree by my silence. To that I would say that it is the risk I'm taking by not opening my mouth and disagreeing with the racist statement. I'm not obligated to confront the person but I am certainly risking "guilt by association." I think a lot of people today have short-term memory loss and forget that less than 50 years ago racism was still widespread and the civil rights battle was being fought. Those types of wounds don't heal quickly and we can't expect it to just disappear overnight. That being said I think a lot of our race relation problems are caused by people who have been conditioned to think that someone is out to get them simply because of their race. When that line of thinking ends huge advances will be made. :twocents:

Top Bottom