• ...and so much more!
  • dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Sorta fits here.

Side question - Any good "tactical" flashlights that are ideal for nightstand that you recommend?

I have a TRL with green laser on my HD carbine. Always in the same place so I can find it without turning lights on. I do not carry a light on my pistol. Have debated it but just can't move forward with one for EDC.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I carry a cheap light ED, I have always felt like a light gives an aggressor a perfect target.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I have not warmed up to the idea having an EDC handgun flashlight and a separate nightstand handgun and flashlight. I just have a carry gun and a pocket flashlight that reside in the nightstand drawer every night.

I have night lights in the rest of the house so seldom need flashlight at home, except looking for the cat.

The ideal tactical flashlight for me (and thus my nightstand flashlight) is small -- about 1" diameter max -- bright as possible for its size, and has a tailcap switch that does ONE! and ONLY ONE! thing -- turn it on and off, preferably just with pressure, no clicks (e.g. momentary on/off, press and hold switch on/light on, release switch/light off). No strobes, no multiple levels of brightness, no geewhiz bells and whistles. This is really difficult to find, pretty much all the "tactical" flashlights insist on putting as many functions as possible on them, usually controlled through some hare-brained combination of clicks with a single switch. A few of the better ones put most of the features in a side-mounted switch, with the tailcap handling just a couple features, but it is really hard to find a tailcap switch that does one thing well. Surefire used to have a couple, haven't shopped them for awhile.

I have had a Moobibear brand light for several years, and it comes close to perfection. Alas it does not have momentary on, but at least clicking the tail cap turns it on, clicking again turns it off. 5-1/4" long, just over 1" diameter, fits hand and pocket, has an aluminum case that has been very durable, reasonably bright, and came with a rechargeable battery and charger that are still operating several (10?) years later. Moobibear website does not list this model anymore, maybe they have a more modern one that KISS. I have been happy with the reliability and performance of it.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    San Antonio

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/sapd-man-dies-after-getting-shot-by-ex-wifes-father/ar-BB16NqU0
    https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2020/07/16/one-person-critically-shot-on-northeast-side-police-say/

Note: some articles say "ex-girlfriend", some say "ex-wife". I'm going with GF for now, but could be wrong.

This case is still being investigated, but I am prognosticating that dad's self-defense claim will fly and he will not be charged.

2100 15 July police get call from someone in 15900 block of Redwood Manor reporting he had been shot. Police respond but don't find anything amiss, believe it was deliberate false report.

Shortly thereafter Daniel Rudy Veliz (36 or 37 yo) shows up at that address where his ex-girlfriend, children, and GF's father (59 yo) are living. He gets in verbal fight on front porch with ex-GF, which turns physical. Her father comes out with gun, tells Veliz to leave, whereupon Veliz "lunged" at him, and dad shoots him in head, torso, and leg. Neighbors claim they heard up to seven shots. Veliz dies before surgery.

Cops are reported saying they have documentation that Veliz had previously called in a false disturbance then tried to contact his ex-GF.

Not included in the articles above are that Veliz was arrested last December in San Antonio for DWI, giving the Redwood address as his address.
    https://www.thebexarcountyjail.com/daily-arrests/bexar-county-jail-arrests-releases-12-15-2019/

Also not reported in the articles is that Veliz was arrested in Harris County in April 2006 for aggravated sexual assault against a child (14 yo girl).
    https://texas.arrests.org/Arrests/Daniel_Veliz_13459915/

He was convicted of sexual assault of a child in Dec 2008, given a five year prison sentence, and a lifetime registration as a sexual offender with a Castroville Rd address in San Antonio.
    https://records.txdps.state.tx.us/SexOffenderRegistry/Search/Rapsheet?Sid=06530025

I'm thinking all these facts are not unrelated.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Florida

Florida homeowner utilized Second Amendment right when he killed intruder: sheriff

Woman in divorce proceedings staying with relatives. Soon-to-be-ex kicked door in, exchanged gun fire with homeowner. STBX tried to enter a second time and homeowner shot and killed him. STBX has previous arrests for domestic violence, DWI. I think you could say the sheriff is supportive of the homeowner's actions.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Not sure how this is going to pan out in the end:

Pair suspected of breaking into vehicles in Dallas flee into Highland Park after being shot, police say

Food delivery driver finds woman with gunshot wound dumped in Highland Park

The Cliff's Notes, as I understand it, is that a man and woman were on some kind of crime spree, presumably burglaries, when they were shot trying to break into some vehicles. They fled in a truck, pulled into a strip mall, and the male driver pushed the wounded female out of the truck shouting at a bystander that she needed help as she collapsed. The man then drove off and wrecked the truck a few blocks away. The man fled on foot but was captured by an off-duty officer working security in a shopping area. The man was found to be wounded and taken to the hospital with non-life-threatening wound(s).

No word yet on who shot them or how that transpired, but I will guess it will turn out to be a public service.

The quoted post is exactly 2 years old today, and that means it is time for a follow-up. Since I forgot to do that earlier.

It turns out the shooter in this incident was/is a member of the TexasCHLforum.com, where this incident was also being discussed, who was keeping mum until the DA had time to sort things out. On 12 Dec 2018 he posted that the DA had decided not to take his actions to a Grand Jury. He didn't want to say anything else about the incident except that "[FONT=&amp]The two people did not get shot for burglary, they got shot for trying to run me over. " He did mention that the Dallas Police treated him well and auditory exclusion is a thing. He even got to retrieve the property stolen from him that same night.[/FONT]

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Bell County, Texas. Bell County is south of Waco, encompasses the city of Killeen and about half of Fort Hood.

https://www.khou.com/article/news/c...says/500-f0b7eaa4-ded4-41f3-883b-80191f07bc49

Last Monday night woman heard noise like someone kicking in front door, armed herself with a handgun and went downstairs to investigate. Confronted four armed burglars who fled. Police later pulled them over. One was wanted on a warrant for shooting a man (not fatally it appears) back in February. Another one of the four was out on bail for stealing a car back in January.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Oregon

WOMAN USES BEAR RIFLE TO STOP KIDNAPPING NEAR WALTON

Man and his girlfriend kidnapped by three other men known to him, man badly beaten and left on side of road. Woman who was going bear hunting stops to see what's what, beaten man tells her kidnapper(s) nearby in his (beaten man's) car, and told her “He is going to kill me, and he's probably going to kill you since you are here.”

Woman tells beaten man to hide, and when she sees man walking down the road with a handgun, pulls her (presumably bear hunting) rifle from her car. Man with handgun decides he needs to be somewhere else.

Police later catch one of the three kidnappers and recover the girlfriend who has minor injuries. Other two kidnappers are identified and police put out photos looking for them.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Oregon

WOMAN USES BEAR RIFLE TO STOP KIDNAPPING NEAR WALTON

Man and his girlfriend kidnapped by three other men known to him, man badly beaten and left on side of road. Woman who was going bear hunting stops to see what's what, beaten man tells her kidnapper(s) nearby in his (beaten man's) car, and told her “He is going to kill me, and he's probably going to kill you since you are here.”

Woman tells beaten man to hide, and when she sees man walking down the road with a handgun, pulls her (presumably bear hunting) rifle from her car. Man with handgun decides he needs to be somewhere else.

Police later catch one of the three kidnappers and recover the girlfriend who has minor injuries. Other two kidnappers are identified and police put out photos looking for them.

Sad, she held her fire.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    https://www.cbs7.com/2020/08/25/andrews-co-sheriff-would-be-robber-shot-during-attempted-robbery/

Texas

Guy walks into a Gebo's store and pointed a gun at clerks and customers. "Shots were fired" and robber ended up with multiple perforations. Story doesn't actually say anyone shot him, so I suppose there's a slim chance he somehow shot himself several times, but I suspect a "well done" should be directed to someone else.

Robber lived, is in hospital facing aggravated assault, aggravated robbery, and felon-in-possession charges.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom