• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    The war on drugs is a never-ending war. It cannot be won, pure and simple. I’m surprised the .gov hasn’t realized how much of a cash cow legalizing marijuana, and then taxing it (a la tobacco/alcohol), will be for them. Make it legal and we cut that portion of the drug trade out. Fewer deaths from turf wars, smugglers, etc. = a win in my book. :dunno:

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    The war on drugs is a never-ending war. It cannot be won, pure and simple. I’m surprised the .gov hasn’t realized how much of a cash cow legalizing marijuana, and then taxing it (a la tobacco/alcohol), will be for them. Make it legal and we cut that portion of the drug trade out. Fewer deaths from turf wars, smugglers, etc. = a win in my book. :dunno:
    The war on drugs has allowed them to intrude so much into our lives, they have no real incentive to ever end it.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    Make it legal and we cut that portion of the drug trade out. Fewer deaths from turf wars, smugglers, etc. = a win in my book. :dunno:
    Yep, that's worked so far in the states that allow it! Illinois, California and others. Crime is down, addictions are down, fewer deaths......they should have done that a long time ago!

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    I have no interest in weed but have always wondered if/when/how they were going to resolve the federal 4473 question with the states regarding MJ. From what I can find, the feds simply ignore the rule and rarely prosecute anyone.

A quick search showed a study of 12,700 investigations of this type with 12 prosecutions. Probably more to each story, like other charges involved. The search also showed an article that points out there is a state medical certification registry for medical use in some states. Wonder if the feds can get access to this?

Don

Last edited:

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Yep, that's worked so far in the states that allow it! Illinois, California and others. Crime is down, addictions are down, fewer deaths......they should have done that a long time ago!
    And just how much of the crime/addictions/death are from weed?

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    But in addition to legalizing and taxing it, they should also allow individuals to grow their own for their own use but keep street dealing illegal, like it's legal to make beer and wine for one's own use but not deal in it.

The REASON is, legal and taxed marijuana is still enough more expensive than street dealt marijuana, that the illegal marijuana trade won't be reduced near as much as if people could also grow their own for their own use.

Last edited:

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    And just how much of the crime/addictions/death are from weed?
    I knew a guy in the 70s who shoplifted a large bag of Doritos from 7-11 because he couldn't find his wallet, and had a screaming case of the munchies. BTW, he found his wallet the next morning on the front seat of his car. Or so I am told.

defaultdotxbe

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2020
    Griffith
    The problem is the more you tax it the more you encourage the black market to exist, so the war continues.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    But in addition to legalizing and taxing it, they should also allow individuals to grow their own for their own use but keep street dealing illegal, like it's legal to make beer and wine for one's own use but not deal in it.

The REASON is, legal and taxed marijuana is still enough more expensive than street dealt marijuana, that the illegal marijuana trade won't be reduced near as much as if people could also grow their own for their own use.
    To a degree that is true. But it also depends on just how and how much they tax it. Look at alcohol, there are taxes on it but just how much of a black market is there for home brew and moonshine? Yes I know there is one, but it's not that large. And the people doing it are generally individuals or small groups. When is the last time you heard of Bloods/Crips/Hell's Angels/Cartels/Mafia/etc running shine?

CA has an excise tax on growing it, and another excise tax on retail sales. And yes those are taxes not including the required licensing and fees. Plus iirc there is required licensing and fees to transport it. The excise tax on retail sales is 15% alone, then there is the sales tax on top of that. Plus there can also be local taxes added on. So yeah when you're taxing the living hell out of it, there is going to be a black market. Reasonable taxes, there will still be a black market but much smaller.

CA and I believe most if not all other states that have legalized it allow growing for personal use. CA allows up to 6 plants at a time for recreational use, more if it's medical. And from a quick check an average yield with good growing conditions is 1/4lb indoors and 1/2lb outdoors per plant.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I've been down this road before. Truth can easily be seen if one wanted to see it.
    I can see the truth. Not quite sure if you can. But I'd be more than happy to see any evidence you have linking weed to those. At least other than the criminalization of it.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I'm not sure government calculates that way. Look at how much power they gain, how much overreach is tolerated and how many hundreds of billions of dollars they get to spend with little oversight - not to mention drug related offenses are probably the lion's share of asset seizures

From that perspective, legalization would diminish government power and reach and deprive them of relatively unregulated billions while replacing it with tax revenues collected by the states with many more hands in the till

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    Stupid! If you’re going to buy it, don’t leave it in plain sight and speed! Buying pounds like that will earn him some jail time!
    I’ve considered doing similar but minimal amount. I haven’t tried it since the ’70’s but minor curiosity about it. Long way to go for a couple gummies and a little smoke. I want to try making shine too but I don’t really drink.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Stupid! If you’re going to buy it, don’t leave it in plain sight and speed! Buying pounds like that will earn him some jail time!
    I’ve considered doing similar but minimal amount. I haven’t tried it since the ’70’s but minor curiosity about it. Long way to go for a couple gummies and a little smoke. I want to try making shine too but I don’t really drink.
    STUPID! That's why they call it "dope."

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    If only he lived in a fee country....

I got to this thread late, the following have probably already been beat to death.;)

Standard disclaimer (sorry I even have to make it). I don't use any drugs, I liked them when I was young, but I got over it.

I don't see how it is justifiable under our constitution to tell people what they can do with their body. I know, nobody actually believes in freedom. (Disclaimer 2: I'm afraid some super edgy debate bro will see "do with their body" and bring up the "A" word. Not what I'm talking about).

I also don't get the "legalize and tax the s**t" out of it argument. Tax just like any other product. Period. "Sin taxes" are just more government control. That's not what we want, right?

The drug war is probably responsible for 99% of the friction between LE and people. It makes my skin crawl when I see someone pulled over, and some creepy ba****ard is looking through all their windows and anything else they can see so they can be big heroes and bust them for things they voluntarily want to use. Sickening that so many have taken oaths and then readily wipe their asses with the document they took it to.

Top Bottom