• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • skeetman28

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    South Bend
    Been having debate with a good friend....do you reload your own ammo for defensive carry... or do you select a factory of your choice ? So when you have to pull the trigger to defend yourself is it best to shoot and kill with your ammo or a reputable manufactured ammo for that purpose...I say find and study to find the best ammo for your carry and not give the prosecution more to try and convict you for murder and not self defense...any comments would be welcomed...Thanks ahead of time...

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    For me personally, I use factory ammo in my EDC. I've just started reloading and I'm not near comfortable enough to trust my life with it.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    For me personally, I use factory ammo in my EDC. I've just started reloading and I'm not near comfortable enough to trust my life with it.

Im in a similar situation.
    Once I get a few thousand hand loads without hiccups, I may change my mind.
    Im saving enough on plinking to make reloading worthwhile. But not confident enough in my abilities.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Used to be that I would fear the prosecution saying that I loaded some super-duper man killer extreme bullet.

I don't worry as much about that now, but I only trust my carry ammo to the big names. Reputable, proven ammo and manufacturers.

Many people roll their own, but for me it was never a decision I was willing to go with, even when I was reloading.

As always, I trust DOCGKR (Dr. Gary Roberts) in his trained opinion of what is good and what is not.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Mas Ayoob, says NEVER carry reloads, for defense.....

It hasn't happened here, but some Prosecutor will go to court and say,

FACTORY ammo, wasn't DEADLY enough for him, he had to make his own .....

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    For many years I have carried handloads, but they are assembled from factory components. For example, I load a Federal bullet in a Federal case with a Federal primer and use the powder that came from the factory. I am not a +P kind of guy. The standard load specs are more than enough for me. I do all this because I have seen factory loads with serious defects like - primer upside down or sideways, no anvil in primer, or no flash hole in the case. If the factory's QC is that lousy I can't/won't trust it for carry use. I only trust it after it passes MY QC inspection. They only build ammo to sale - they don't warrantee it to actually work. Once they have sold it, they don't care if it works. I really kind of doubt the authorities would be able to tell that it was a handload even if they examined it. Maybe it is technically "re-assembled" ammo instead of "handloads". But I know when I drop a hammer on a round - it WILL FIRE. I also carry revolvers so I won't be leaving any "evidence" at the scene. Just another crazy old man.

Last edited:

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Since I don't reload I obviously use factory rounds. Currently I am using Cor Bon but my alternative is Gold Dots. Am also going to start mixing in Underwood in the rotation.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I reload for range use, but carry critical duty for EDC. I'm not so worried about a prosecutor as a plaintiffs attorney suing me as the ammo mfg. Hornady can afford lawyers for that suit, I can not. I know a lawsuit is likely anyway, but I'd like to limit my exposure as much as possible.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    For many years I have carried handloads, but they are assembled from factory components. For example, I load a Federal bullet in a Federal case with a Federal primer and use the powder that came from the factory. I am not a +P kind of guy. The standard load specs are more than enough for me. I do all this because I have seen factory loads with serious defects like - primer upside down or sideways, no anvil in primer, or no flash hole in the case. If the factory's QC is that lousy I can't/won't trust it for carry use. I only trust it after it passes MY QC inspection. They only build ammo to sale - they don't warrantee it to actually work. Once they have sold it, they don't care if it works. I really kind of doubt the authorities would be able to tell that it was a handload even if they examined it. Maybe it is technically "re-assembled" ammo instead of "handloads". But I know when I drop a hammer on a round - it WILL FIRE. I also carry revolvers so I won't be leaving any "evidence" at the scene. Just another crazy old man.

I have to agree.
    I've heard it said for years, including from the greatly respected Massad Ayoob, that it's a very bad idea to carry reloads, but I have to wonder -- unless you say "Hey, I shot the perp with my own deathray loads!" -- how anyone would ever know that you rolled your own.
    I've reloaded thousands of rounds of various calibers, with not a single misfire.
    I can look at the primers myself to determine that the anvil is there and that they're oriented correctly in the primer pocket, as well as control the seating depth.
    I can see the powder charge before I seat the bullet, and I select that bullet myself instead of having to settle for what the companies sell.
    If I were to carry factory, it would more than likely be Underwood, specifically a near duplicate to my homerolled carry load: 155 grain Speer Gold Dot running approx. 1420 FPS.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    To compare malfunctions of factory vs reload ammo (as witnessed and fired-keeping in mind I don't reload, and get reloads for free) in my experience in a critical situation. Factory originals by a mile!

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    To compare malfunctions of factory vs reload ammo (as witnessed and fired-keeping in mind I don't reload, and get reloads for free) in my experience in a critical situation. Factory originals by a mile!

That's why I don't trust someone else's reloads.
    I select the components myself.
    I assemble those components myself.
    Yet to have a single failure to feed, failure to fire, or failure to eject.
    Not just with the roughly 1K of 10mm I've loaded and shot, but with the roughly 2K of .45 Colt and roughtly 1K of .30-06.

BFR50-110

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Montgomery County
    While I trust my hand loads as much or more than factory ammo I personally carry factory ammo. I don't know how much of a legal issues it would be to use hand loads but I would rather be safe than sorry. I look for a few effective loads for a gun and carry whatever shoots well and proves reliable in a particular gun.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    If it's a good shoot, then it's a good shoot. Type of ammo should mean nothing.
    Perhaps it "should mean nothing", but that doesn't mean it does mean nothing. Standing in front of jury while the Foreman states "Guilty" and you're headed to the 'crossbar hotel' muttering "It should mean nothing!" is a poor way to look toward the future.

If I'm going to follow advice, I follow advice from those who've 'been there, done that'. I don't take my 'next door neighbor' or 'beer drinking buddy' to court if I need a lawyer. I take a lawyer. Even then, it will be a lawyer who has 'been there, done that', and done it successfully, for the legal issue at hand. Not taking a 'car accident' lawyer if it's a criminal case, for example.

Sure, there are those, even on INGO, that opine 'been there, done that' doesn't matter. Typically, that comes from those who've never been involved in that type of situation (court trial, self-defense scenario, combat situation, whatever). Those who have, know the difference.

I'll stick with those who know the difference. Mas Ayoob is one of those people.

I carry new, factory made ammunition. More specifically, those same types used by LE in the area, whether that's a Local, County, State, or Federal agency. SOME agency nearby carries the same ammo.

The reason is simple. WHY create an issue for the 'opponents' to possibly use to their advantage, and your detriment, when it's entirely unnecessary to do so? To what, save a couple bucks? That's putting a pretty low price on one's (potential) freedom, or (god forbid) life.

JMO and :twocents:

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Been having debate with a good friend....do you reload your own ammo for defensive carry... or do you select a factory of your choice ? So when you have to pull the trigger to defend yourself is it best to shoot and kill with your ammo or a reputable manufactured ammo for that purpose...I say find and study to find the best ammo for your carry and not give the prosecution more to try and convict you for murder and not self defense...any comments would be welcomed...Thanks ahead of time...
    I use factory defense ammo when carrying. Gold Dots or Hydra Shok. Why? Those are the two the police in the area use and they are good mad stoppers so that is why. I prefer to have in my weapon what the local police carry. For me I do this so some over zealous DA can't say I was using some sort of special round IF I have to use the weapon. I am not saying this is the best way to choose, it is MY way though.

Reloads I load with the same or as close as I can manage bullet weight though not as hot. Again, for me doing this jeeps me hitting my POA with both rounds. This at least I have verified by years of going to the range with both reloads and older SD ammo. I hit the same place with both generally so this is how I practice.

A good shoot is indeed a good shoot but I just like to have myself in a defensible position as you really don't know what sort of DA you will get and what sort of ambition or whatever else he may have in mind :twocents:

Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    :+1:I too trust the ammo that I "re-assemble". If I have decided to pull the trigger, I want the bullet to do it's job and, I will live with the outcome.

Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Perhaps it "should mean nothing", but that doesn't mean it does mean nothing. Standing in front of jury while the Foreman states "Guilty" and you're headed to the 'crossbar hotel' muttering "It should mean nothing!" is a poor way to look toward the future.

If I'm going to follow advice, I follow advice from those who've 'been there, done that'. I don't take my 'next door neighbor' or 'beer drinking buddy' to court if I need a lawyer. I take a lawyer. Even then, it will be a lawyer who has 'been there, done that', and done it successfully, for the legal issue at hand. Not taking a 'car accident' lawyer if it's a criminal case, for example.

Sure, there are those, even on INGO, that opine 'been there, done that' doesn't matter. Typically, that comes from those who've never been involved in that type of situation (court trial, self-defense scenario, combat situation, whatever). Those who have, know the difference.

I'll stick with those who know the difference. Mas Ayoob is one of those people.

I carry new, factory made ammunition. More specifically, those same types used by LE in the area, whether that's a Local, County, State, or Federal agency. SOME agency nearby carries the same ammo.

The reason is simple. WHY create an issue for the 'opponents' to possibly use to their advantage, and your detriment, when it's entirely unnecessary to do so? To what, save a couple bucks? That's putting a pretty low price on one's (potential) freedom, or (god forbid) life.

JMO and :twocents:
    I can see your point but, I take it you have never had a misfire with factory ammo. I have had quite a few in the past 40 years. Too each their own.:cheers:

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    Reputable, street proven, factory ammo is the way to go, whether one reloads or not...IMHO

Gunner72

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2014
    NE Indiana
    I don't reload however I would enjoy learning. I've shot thousands of reloads without any problems. But I still would not ever trust my life or life of s loved one with it. Factory amom only in my personal carry.

Top Bottom