• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sbrville

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    Rush Co
    Before I went to a 44, I used an Ithaca 37 featherlight deerslayer in 20 ga. Smooth bore. Shot amazing with brenneke slugs and the thing is super light. If you are going to look for one at the 1500 pick up several models and see how heavy they feel. A loaded shotgun gets heavy after a few miles walking. Happy hunting, SB

rjc2rjc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    I know you said a shotgun. But I would look at a muzzle loader. Yea its a single shot. But highly accurate and extends your hunting season by allowing you to hunt shotgun and muzzle loader. Just a thought.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Before I went to a 44, I used an Ithaca 37 featherlight deerslayer in 20 ga. Smooth bore. Shot amazing with brenneke slugs and the thing is super light. If you are going to look for one at the 1500 pick up several models and see how heavy they feel. A loaded shotgun gets heavy after a few miles walking. Happy hunting, SB

And a light shotgun can kick the snot out of you...

I've got an Ithaca DeerSlayer II that is tack driver but I prefer my 870..

rkesar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    new whiteland
    I don't really feel recoil when shooting at a deer, but when I sight in my Winchester 1300 or check it each year I can only shoot it a few times. Ive never shot a slug gun that kicks like it.

sbrville

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    Rush Co
    I was thinking the same as for recoil. Sighting it in I would get a little flinchy when I was younger but when shooting at a deer I don't feel a thing. Kinda like when shooting while hunting without hearing protection, It doesn't seem that loud. But if you forget your ears while practicing , you cant hear for a day or two.

skseifert

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2009
    Boggstown
    I know you said a shotgun. But I would look at a muzzle loader. Yea its a single shot. But highly accurate and extends your hunting season by allowing you to hunt shotgun and muzzle loader. Just a thought.

Yes, I have thought of muzzleloader - i purchased one last year (CVA Apollo) and quickly realized it was one of the model years that probably shouldn't be shot.

rjc2rjc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Yes, I have thought of muzzleloader - i purchased one last year (CVA Apollo) and quickly realized it was one of the model years that probably shouldn't be shot.

I shoot a Thompson Center Omega. I fell in love with it right out of the box. I bore sited in the scope at home and took it out to the rang. first shot at a hundred yards tore the bulls eye out. I have never had to adjust anything. only shoot a 100 grains out of it and use the T/C shock wave 250 grain bullet. for me it is a VERY deadly combo. I highly recommend it.

Top Bottom