• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • STAGE 2

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 26, 2019
    Fishers
    Trying to earn my next Midwest merit badge and going deer hunting for the first time this week. Done a fair amount of bird hunting but never deer. Any tips or pointers to offer the rookie? Won’t be using a blind or stand (I know this may handicap me but I wanna give it a go before investing that much money and space in my garage).

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Public land or private?
    What weapon?

Find a well traveled trail. Then find a place the deer won’t be looking right at you when they travel that trail. Offset and up on a bluff is my preference. Most critters rarely look up, thus the general preference for tree stands. Dress warm enough that you can hold very still for a long time.

PLAY THE WIND. Deer rely heavily on their sense of smell, and if they are downwind you’ll likely never even see them. Wash your hunting gear in scentless soap if possible. If you’re satisfied with a small buck, consider a bleat can. Cheap investment, and the less educated younger bucks will come to them time and again.

Don’t get hung up on immediate success. Put your phone away and enjoy the woods. I rarely seem to see deer until I have really calmed myself inside, and it sometimes seems to take a bit of time away from all the noise to get to that place.

Don’t take a shot you aren’t 95% confident you can make. Take your time and plan to shoot the deer where he WILL BE, not where he is.

Have fun and enjoy!

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    When not using a stand I take a 7 gallon bucket with a seat the swivels. I got the bucket for free. (7 gallon or five gallon works seven is better) I think the seat I got cost me 5 dollars after season and has lasted ten years. I put a lunch and coffee thermos in the bucket along with other items.

Normally I see deer three times a day. Right in the early morning coming to bedding areas from feeding areas. Around 1 in the afternoon (most people pulling out of the woods then. And right before dark when they are traveling to feeding areas.

Make sure the rifle hits where you aim it with heavy clothes on.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Know the ground if at all possible. Hunting off the ground I like to stay in an elevated position and have already pulled some tree branches to a spot for a makeshift blind.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    Take a blanket and a padded seat. I lean against a tree w a padded seat. When really cold I put a foam sleep pad under me. Then cover w my poncho liner. Keeps me nice and warm (I get cold easily) and let’s me move a little without being seen. Gun or crossbow is propped on a stand so I just have to minimally move to get it on target.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Be quiet, be still, and learn. “Success”, at least if defined by a carcass, may or may not come along.

You can’t eat a sunset, but some of my favorites are only memories because I DIDN’T shoot.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    If your location is correct and you are planning to hunt public land go south. No one is gonna give gps points but deer are everywhere. Find a vantage point on the side of a hill with good shooting lanes and sit still.

Oh and have a plan of how to get it out and cleaned if successful.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Be sure to wear the required amount of orange if hunting on the ground or in a blind on public land. Around here you cant throw a rock without hitting a hunter on public land.

STAGE 2

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 26, 2019
    Fishers
    Public land or private?
    What weapon?

Find a well traveled trail. Then find a place the deer won’t be looking right at you when they travel that trail. Offset and up on a bluff is my preference. Most critters rarely look up, thus the general preference for tree stands. Dress warm enough that you can hold very still for a long time.

PLAY THE WIND. Deer rely heavily on their sense of smell, and if they are downwind you’ll likely never even see them. Wash your hunting gear in scentless soap if possible. If you’re satisfied with a small buck, consider a bleat can. Cheap investment, and the less educated younger bucks will come to them time and again.

Don’t get hung up on immediate success. Put your phone away and enjoy the woods. I rarely seem to see deer until I have really calmed myself inside, and it sometimes seems to take a bit of time away from all the noise to get to that place.

Don’t take a shot you aren’t 95% confident you can make. Take your time and plan to shoot the deer where he WILL BE, not where he is.

Have fun and enjoy!

Public land and slug gun.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    If you think you have found a 1500 pound spike buck, DON'T SHOOT! It is the neighbors steer.

Most deer hunters can't tell a cow from a deer but can tell beef from venison...

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    Play the wind , don’t look for the deer itself look for movement .
    Like tail flicker , legs moving & use your bino’s.
    Make sure what is beyond your target if gun hunting around homes or other hunters & wear your orange.
    Don’t get frustrated and get up and walk around , stay put.
    Good luck.

I myself like field edges on evening hunts.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Public land and slug gun.
    Know your property boundaries, a lot of public land has private interspersed amongst it and many maps do not show the details correctly.

Stay on top of hills or ridges, the wind is more consistent up there, and set up so you can watch both the opposite hill/ridge and the lower area between. If you can find an area with thick cover on the opposite hill/ridge or better yet in the valley, that is a good place to setup.

Be respectful, if you find someone else's stand, then move along and hunt somewhere else. Also, don't go bumbling through the woods because you get impatient or are not seeing anything.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Know your property boundaries, a lot of public land has private interspersed amongst it and many maps do not show the details correctly.

Stay on top of hills or ridges, the wind is more consistent up there, and set up so you can watch both the opposite hill/ridge and the lower area between. If you can find an area with thick cover on the opposite hill/ridge or better yet in the valley, that is a good place to setup.

Be respectful, if you find someone else's stand, then move along and hunt somewhere else. Also, don't go bumbling through the woods because you get impatient or are not seeing anything.

As somebody who owns land that adjoins public land, thank you for bring this up.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    I would stay away from public land during gun season to many hunters.
    But early season bow hunting I think you would be better suited.
    Just go ask to Hunt private land , all they can say is NO.
    Offer to help land owners to fix fence or other projects they may have , in other works earn the respect and the right to Hunt private land .
    Big bucks like low spots to travel and no pressure, that’s how they got big.
    It don’t have to be a big area to hold a big buck . Seen many big bucks hold up in thick fence rows when the pressure is on.
    Keep that in mind when looking for setups .

Last edited:
    Top Bottom