• Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Rocky still in biz.
    Guy that did mine got a new job/moved.

I am kinda squeamish doing caps, as I have to cut near the eyes and that just bothers me.
    Done many, but am older and more wussy.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I got to spend a very special day with my niece Katie Gross. She killed her first whitetail this morning. It's a day neither of us are likely to forget. Her first deer, died in the creek, and my first time floating a deer to the truck! My wife made us the heart for lunch! Everyone was a fan!

paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    I just took two doe’s. I had nine come in. I shot one through the heart and she dropped instantly. They ran off about 50 yards and turned around and came back. So I took another one. This has been an amazing weekend. Got my first buck and tagged out in one weekend.
    another amazing thing happened Saturday. My dad shot a doe. He was a little low and didn’t hit anything vital. She was bleeding bad but still ran off. We looked for two hours to find her. About mid day I laid under my stand to take a nap. A noise about 20 feet away woke me up. And to my amazement that doe care right there and laid down and died. I can’t even imagine the odds of that but we were glad she wasn’t a waste. I know dad felt bad and wanted to find her. Absolutely amazing weekend.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I just took two doe’s. I had nine come in. I shot one through the heart and she dropped instantly. They ran off about 50 yards and turned around and came back. So I took another one. This has been an amazing weekend. Got my first buck and tagged out in one weekend.
    another amazing thing happened Saturday. My dad shot a doe. He was a little low and didn’t hit anything vital. She was bleeding bad but still ran off. We looked for two hours to find her. About mid day I laid under my stand to take a nap. A noise about 20 feet away woke me up. And to my amazement that doe care right there and laid down and died. I can’t even imagine the odds of that but we were glad she wasn’t a waste. I know dad felt bad and wanted to find her. Absolutely amazing weekend.

Had to be vital if it killed her LOL.
    Just not anything offering a quick demise.

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    My buddy was hunting my place this morning. He was busy messing with his phone when he found himself surrounded by does. Said he didn't get an opportunity to get a shot. I thought it was pretty funny. Set him up in a comfy chair on a platform and even told him where the deer would most likely come from. All I could do except maybe shoot it for him. Ha Ha.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Really? When the actual owner of the property isn’t even wanting him criminally trespassed?

It is kind of fascinating to me that the will of the people who actually OWN both pieces of property seems to mean nothing to most anyone here.

Never mind the half dozen other legal issues present here.

It kind of sounds like "hunting without permission" is being conflated with actual trespassing to me based on the comment. The standard/threshold for hunting without permission is much lower, IIRC, and is what COs more commonly issue citations for.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    It kind of sounds like "hunting without permission" is being conflated with actual trespassing to me based on the comment. The standard/threshold for hunting without permission is much lower, IIRC, and is what COs more commonly issue citations for.
    Yeah, that's what I was referring to as title 14 trespass. However, I don't see where he hunted on someone else's property. He crossed it to get to his hunting spot and then to get out. Either way, the conservation officer could, and probably should, be disciplined if he is agreeing to arrest people for his friends prior to doing an actual investigation, especially in light of Indiana's misdemeanor presence requirement.

tr1gg3r

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    The Fortress
    I was fortunate to get back up to my home state of Michigan for a rifle season hunt with my dad this year. Last Wednesday, I bagged this little buck with my freshly built .300 BLK.

e7b48bcb8f510349315b6a22168e8c26.jpg

On opening morning (Nov 15th), my pops dropped this buck with his 30-06.

7598837a7ae7694954f81e7ddfba5512.jpg

It was our first time hunting together in over ten years, and I am extremely grateful that everything worked out to allow us to make these memories together.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    I was fortunate to get back up to my home state of Michigan for a rifle season hunt with my dad this year. Last Wednesday, I bagged this little buck with my freshly built .300 BLK.

e7b48bcb8f510349315b6a22168e8c26.jpg

On opening morning (Nov 15th), my pops dropped this buck with his 30-06.

7598837a7ae7694954f81e7ddfba5512.jpg

It was our first time hunting together in over ten years, and I am extremely grateful that everything worked out to allow us to make these memories together.

Where in Michigan do you hunt? I used to spend a lot of time hunting Pinckney, west of Ann Arbor. It was nice country.

tr1gg3r

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    The Fortress
    Where in Michigan do you hunt? I used to spend a lot of time hunting Pinckney, west of Ann Arbor. It was nice country.

We hunt just outside of the little town of Merrill. It is west of Saginaw about twenty miles or so. Most of the area is farmland, so it makes for some very tasty venison.

Not many bucks older than a year and a half though, due to the amount of hunters per square mile in that area.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    We hunt just outside of the little town of Merrill. It is west of Saginaw about twenty miles or so. Most of the area is farmland, so it makes for some very tasty venison.

Not many bucks older than a year and a half though, due to the amount of hunters per square mile in that area.

Yeah, I remember those days. The pickings on public land were really thin. Had some decent luck on private land but nothing big.

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Had a Sunday morning that I will always remember. This is my first buck in 10 years. I've passed on a lot of smaller deer over the last decade and this one seems to make everything worth it. Finally after countless miles and hundreds of hours spent in the woods, I was able to take this mature 10.

HyjVEFf.jpg

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Had a Sunday morning that I will always remember. This is my first buck in 10 years. I've passed on a lot of smaller deer over the last decade and this one seems to make everything worth it. Finally after countless miles and hundreds of hours spent in the woods, I was able to take this mature 10.

HyjVEFf.jpg

Great buck!

I saw nothing but does after opening weekend, and decided I'd wait for antlers this year during gun season. Like someone else said, it was like a switch turned off on the bucks, so assuming the local bucks had all bread the hot does, so they are all taking a few days off. Hoping maybe it will pick back up this weekend again.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Yeah, that's what I was referring to as title 14 trespass. However, I don't see where he hunted on someone else's property. He crossed it to get to his hunting spot and then to get out. Either way, the conservation officer could, and probably should, be disciplined if he is agreeing to arrest people for his friends prior to doing an actual investigation, especially in light of Indiana's misdemeanor presence requirement.

If his firearm was loaded when he traveled onto DEC's land, then it is kind of hard to argue that he wasn't hunting without permission. But yes, either way an actual investigation would/should be required before any action.

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    ^^^ The issue is dead. The punk isn't coming back.

On another note ... congrats to the guys above (King31 & Trigg3r) who shot some great deer over the past few days. :rockwoot: I personally decided to let things sit and calm down for a few days. I might get back in a tree soon though as soon as the conditions are right. Waiting for the right pressure system, combined with the winds I want.

Top Bottom