• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    I've learned my lesson. I was shown a fool for daring to reload without a bound reloading manual holding down a shelf on my bench. While perusing one of the new gun shops in Lafayette a few weekends back, I saw Modern Reloading by Richard Lee for the low price of only $19.95. Something told me I should buy that book. It's arguably the best one out there, and many people grab this book when starting out.

I just want to point out some of my favorite quotes while I'm reading through it trying to enhance my reloading knowledge. I'll continue to use this thread to document them, as I don't want to clutter up the board.

"The easiest and fastest way to trim cases is with the Lee Case Trimmer. Notice how it passes through the flash hole and stops against the lock stud. No case trimmer trims cases as accurately as the Lee Case Trimmer."

Lee, Richard. "Reloading Rifle Cases." Modern Reloading. 2nd ed. Hartford, WI: Richard Lee, 2011. 29. Print.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Nothing shows good character in a man like being able to admit when he was wrong and then learn from his mistakes. We've all been in at least one situation where we were too stubborn to see how out of line we might be, so it's not like you are the first! Heck, I've painted myself into a corner a bunch of times and I imagine I'll do it again before too long. :)

The one thing about any activity where safety is paramount is that you simply cannot be TOO informed. Kudos for taking the time and dropping a few bucks to get the straight skinny on how to reload!

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Nothing shows good character in a man like being able to admit when he was wrong and then learn from his mistakes. We've all been in at least one situation where we were too stubborn to see how out of line we might be, so it's not like you are the first! Heck, I've painted myself into a corner a bunch of times and I imagine I'll do it again before too long. :)

The one thing about any activity where safety is paramount is that you simply cannot be TOO informed. Kudos for taking the time and dropping a few bucks to get the straight skinny on how to reload!

Thanks man.

Here's another regarding safety:

"Never use a primer feeder that feeds from a tube."

Lee, Richard. "Priming." Modern Reloading. 2nd ed. Hartford, WI: Richard Lee, 2011. 32. Print.​

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Thanks man.

Here's another regarding safety:

That quote reminds me of the one from ALL firearms mfgs.

"Your warranty will be VOID if any reloaded ammo is used in this firearm"

FWIW: Some quotes are more useful than others??...Bill.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Richard Lee among other things is a grand self promoter. Having said that, I've got some of his equipment. (reloading equipment). Don't know how perfect his trimmers are. But with a Lee cutter in a drill press and a handle on the shell holder thingy I can trim the snot out of plinker .223.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009

That quote reminds me of the one from ALL firearms mfgs.

"Your warranty will be VOID if any reloaded ammo is used in this firearm"

FWIW: Some quotes are more useful than others??...Bill.

Ya know, I hear that from a lot of guys, but of the 3 guns I bought last year, not a single one of them made such a statement. The closest thing any of them have come is in the Walther PK380 manual, wherein they state they will not be responsible for: "Use of defective or improper ammunition, corrosion, neglect, abuse, ordinary wear and tear, or unreasonable use."

Perhaps some firearms manufacturers won't warranty their firearm for use with handloaded ammunition, but let's get real, here. Unless you do something stupid and make bad ammo that you run through your gun, the thing is no more or less likely to fail that it would be with factory ammo. If I made a mistake while loading up some rounds and caused the failure of one of my guns, I would NOT expect the manufacturer to bail me out, anyway. My choice, my mistake, my consequences. I'll deal with it.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I have lots of reloading manuals that I have bought over the last 40 years.

Of all of them, the Lee manuals, both first and second editions, are by far, the most useful.

I ALWAYS recommend the Lee manual for new reloaders.

mydoghasfleas

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Undisclosed
    Awe man...I am just starting to- get into- thinking about- reloading lol. I just bought the lyman manual and now I hear the praise for the lee? Thanks alot, now I gotta go get it too. (I guess its prob better to have multiple manuals anyway)

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Awe man...I am just starting to- get into- thinking about- reloading lol. I just bought the lyman manual and now I hear the praise for the lee? Thanks alot, now I gotta go get it too. (I guess its prob better to have multiple manuals anyway)

If you bought Lyman's 49th, you've got plenty of information on how to get started with reloading. I've been doing this for 25+ years and have never read Lee's book, so I guess it's not exactly "required reading".

With that being said, I have a dozen or so reloading manuals and have read each of them at least once. The cartridge introduction pieces I have read 3 or 4 times, just because I find them interesting and insightful.

Reloading books are like old guys...if you listen to 'em long enough, you learn stuff. ;)

mydoghasfleas

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Undisclosed
    If you bought Lyman's 49th, you've got plenty of information on how to get started with reloading. I've been doing this for 25+ years and have never read Lee's book, so I guess it's not exactly "required reading".

With that being said, I have a dozen or so reloading manuals and have read each of them at least once. The cartridge introduction pieces I have read 3 or 4 times, just because I find them interesting and insightful.

Reloading books are like old guys...if you listen to 'em long enough, you learn stuff. ;)

Thanks for the reasurance! I like to find out all I can about any endeavor before I partake in it. (especialy somthing that can hurt someone)Been thining about this for well over a year and just got myself a nice solid bench, been saving brass, and got the reloading manual. I may start by around end of april (thats when I plan on getting a press) By the way, when I read the title of this post, "Deep Thoughts" I thought for sure it was going to be "by Jack Handy"........anyone...hello.....hello.....(sound of crickets chirping)

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    "Deep Thoughts" I thought for sure it was going to be "by Jack Handy"........anyone...hello.....hello.....(sound of crickets chirping)

Definitely the source of the title...

Another one:

"There are no comparable products that work as well and cost less than Lee products."

Lee, Richard. "Foreword." Modern Reloading. 2nd ed. Hartford, WI: Richard Lee, 2011. vii. Print.

Slim400

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    INDIANAPOLIS SS IN
    I would tell youyou don't need one manual needed has many as you can afford it's been a while since. I've counted but I believe I have somewhere between 9 and 10 manuals that I've collected over the years. I also would say that I don't buy them all new two family members have frequent garage sales flee market auctions this is a good place to look for information some of the manuals particularly for older cartridges have much more information in them and a new up-to-date just my:twocents:

EODThree

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    Brazil
    Richard Lee among other things is a grand self promoter. Having said that, I've got some of his equipment. (reloading equipment). Don't know how perfect his trimmers are. But with a Lee cutter in a drill press and a handle on the shell holder thingy I can trim the snot out of plinker .223.

How did the snot get into your brass in the first place? New "organic" case-lube? :D

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009

Hmm, I missed this earlier, until the comment about expectorating in your brass. ;)

What most folks do is mount the shell holder in the drill and hold the cutter/case length gauge in their hand, usually with the hardwood ball adapter. This works well for me, anyway and it's easy to chuck up the shell holder.

toyotaslave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    Princeton
    I have to say I admire the OP for this thread and also Broom_jm for continually nagging this guy until he caved. You did right by me. This brotherhood on INGO is what makes it such a nice place to visit. Kudos to the both of you and good luck. Stay safe above all!

Oh, one last note, I only have a Speer reloading manual. Perhaps I should branch out a bit?

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    My uncle called tonight and was asking about load data for his new .243 Winchester. He had purchased 300 Remington 100gr Core-lokt bullets and did not have any data specifically for those in the single Speer book he has. I flipped through half a dozen books and ran a QuickLoad simulation to get a really good idea of how much W760 he should start with. Having numerous resources to cross-reference made both of us confident with the min/max numbers he's going to use.

Don't commend me for being a nag when JD has been the one to really step up, here. It takes a far bigger person to take a new perspective on something like he has than for me to keep preaching about the wisdom found in reloading manuals. Every beginning reloader should have 1 manual...and you should collect them over the years, as you try new bullets, powders and cartridges. If you were to have just 1 current manual, I would recommend Lyman's 49th.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom