• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Seems like it would be comfortable and convenient, but I don't really know.

Not particularly either IMO. I used one when I worked for DynCorp because a belt holster caused my rifle's sling and my pistol to get tangled together during searches on occasion. It was less comfortable, since sweat could build up behind it, and the swinging back and forth a bit as I walked "sanded" bare spots in my leg hair. It never caused a rash or anything, but again, not more comfortable.

I sold mine when I left to an incoming guard and never had a desire for another.

pitbulld45

Follower of I AM
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Terre Haute
    Safariland makes the best that I have used

..... That said I have always found them to be gimmicky personally.

They ride up into the boys and your arm has to be the right length and imo they are slower to draw from.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    It’s your money, so spend it in a way that makes you happy. However…

As others (who’ve actually used one) have noted, they’re only real purpose anymore is the “cool factor.” In application, thigh rigs are uncomfortable and actually fairly limiting. The weight of your pistol will always try to move the holster around, it will try to slide down your leg (pulling one side of your belt down with it), they don’t let your leg breath, the leg straps can get in the way of your twig and berries, and if you’re shooting competitions or the like they can limit your ability to lay on your strong side if you need to shoot under a barricade or something. They’re just really not worth much more than the cool factor.

In your situation with needing a custom holster, I would STRONGLY suggest you follow the advice given to get a drop down w/ a GTI or Safariland mounting plate and have the holster made to attach to it. That way you can remove it and attach the holster to another GTI mount or a UBL later and still use it when you realize how terrible the thigh rig is lol, and the holster will retain some resale value if you ever decide to sell it or the gun. You’ll probably never recover the expense of a custom thigh rig if you ever try to sell it.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    After having tried a drop-leg setup, it didn't last very long. VERY uncomfortable for me, and my pistol gets seasick from all the extra leg movement.

I've been very happy with the Safariland QLS system thus far. Allows me to use one holster across multiple platforms as seen. Most kydex holsters these days are drilled to match the mounting pattern for QLS or TMMS (Bladetech), so this gives the user a lot of options to find the right combo. My vote: QLS > TMMS. Just more user friendly. Holster gets the male end, all attachments have the female side of the system. Easy peasy to move it over.

Safariland Mid-Ride UBL
    QLS with belt clip (EDC, standard belts)
    QLS with MOLLE attachment (use with rig, pack, etc)
    Ragnarok holster for G22 w/ TLR1
    IMG_20230204_084531206.jpg

Top Bottom