Dear trainers: The cost of the NRA *Basic* Pistol course is too damn high!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Sin-city Tokyo
    Continuing a discussion from another thread...

Just out of curiosity, I jumped on the NRA website to look at prices for the NRA's Basic Pistol course. The last time I looked (several years ago) it was around $50. Now the lowest I found was $110, and Guy Relford is charging $175 for an 8-hour "this is the end the ouchy things we call bullets come from" *BASIC* pistol class., with the median price being somewhere around $125-150 among the instructors I looked at in the central Indiana area.

Having been a full-time teacher myself, I absolutely have no problem with professional instructors getting paid to teach, but to me...

45035882.jpg

The NRA's most basic class should not be so expensive that it close to the cost for a used gun, and should not be a barrier to new gun owners receiving a basic education about their new purchase. :twocents:

I understand your point. What would you consider a fair price for such training??
    How much is your time worth??
    Do these fee's include rental of a facility with the required insurances etc??
    Does the instructor travel a great distance on his own nickel to give these "Free or low rate" classes??
    Not trying to knock you at all. I have spent most of my life in a service related industry and realize the costs and overhead involved.
    Just asking some questions related to the posts for free or lower rates on training.

I am semi-retired but still do some work for select people and some folks on ingo. I know what my time is worth and charge accordingly. Years and years of experience are not free.

Taking inflation (and the fact that I have been in Japan since 1998 and last Indy in 2012, therefore my knowledge of average consumer prices may be off) into consideration, I think somewhere around $40-60 of pure profit to the instructor per student is reasonable. Taking the dead center of the range at $50 X 5~10 students per class = $250~500 for a day's work seems sufficient compensation of the instructor's time and reasonable travel (i.e.; 2-3hr max drive time) expenses.

In the interest of full disclosure, I have not taken nor taught any NRA classes (but it is something I want to start working towards when I move back to the States). Therefore, I do not know the breakdown of the costs involved with teaching an NRA class.

I do realize that there is both inflation and overhead expenses (like mandatory insurance) to consider. Be that as it may, my view (subject to change based on getting good info in this thread) is that a Basic 8-hour NRA Pistol/Rifle class should cost less than $100 in order to encourage gun noobs to get the training they need. I think seeing a triple-digit price tag for a basic class would be the reason many brand new gun owners would balk at getting training, especially if they are unsure as to how deeply they want to get involved in gun ownership/the hobby of firearms.

Most everybody (have to qualify that because there's always that one guy...) agrees that firearms training is a good thing, but if the NRA allows it to be priced out of the price range of those that may need it the most (e.g. low-income/young people that get their gun "knowledge" from TV or the street, etc.), then IMHO the NRA is failing in it's leadership role as THE go-to source for firearms education for the general public. I would think it would behoove both the NRA and local trainers to have their basic classes at as low a price point as possible (while still making it worth the trainer's while; of course no one goes into business to LOSE money), in order to encourage as many people as possible to at least get a BASIC class under their belt. I would think that trainers could make up their overhead costs through volume, and could earn more by teaching higher level classes if they so desire/have the qualifications to do so.

Here in Japan, there are very few people that make their living as martial arts teachers. Most master-level instructors have other jobs, and the dojo fees they charge are for exactly that...the cost of having a Dojo or renting a space to train. Little to no cash ends back up in the instructor's pocket at most traditional dojos. It is generally looked down upon to try to use the teaching of martial arts as a vehicle to make oneself obscenely rich. The instructor's reward is seeing his students progress and passing on their art, which in some cases can be hundreds of years old. It is about passing on the knowledge, not raking in the money. :spend: Having trained in that environment for 15+ years, that is the mindset *I* have in wanting to teach others in the future how to safely use firearms.
    Others, will of course, will have a different mindset/see things differently.

Hopefully some of the Indy trainers will chime in and turn this into an educational and informative discussion...!
    I especially would like to hear from the highly esteemed Guy Relford at Tactical Firearms Training ($175 for the Basic NRA class), and Indy Gun Safety ($150) about their pricing/how much bang they deliver for the buck...

:cheers: :ingo:

Last edited:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Honestly, the price is the only thing holding my wife and I back from trying it out. It's an expense we can't justify making right now.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Huh. My wife and I took it for $25 a piece.

On the flip side. How much did your gun cost? How about ammo? Range membership? And $175 to learn how to use it all is too high?

All about priorities, I guess.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I have found the NRA to be pretty weak on Marketing techniques, using outdated methods. Basic firearms training cost should be minimal to encourage broad participation, show that the NRA is a true public service organization and get people interested in more advanced training courses.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Maybe manufacturers and dealers could partner with trainers, and offer discounts with purchases.

I don't need the government more involved than they already are.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN

On the flip side. How much did your gun cost? How about ammo? Range membership? And $175 to learn how to use it all is too high?

Here we go again, all the ultra pro-training guys coming out of the woodwork to guilt trip everybody with their "..if you buy a gun, why can't you training? It's all about priorities..."

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Here we go again, all the ultra pro-training guys coming out of the woodwork to guilt trip everybody with their "..if you buy a gun, why can't you training? It's all about priorities..."
    Not trying to guilt anyone. But, if someone is complaining about the PRICE of training, but not the PRICE of all the cool stuff, then I just don't get it.

If you don't WANT training, then I really don't care.

I also roll my eyes at the guys that buy all the whiz-bang Jeep stuff, and then immediately get their mall-crawler stuck. Spend some effort learning to use what you have.

Besides, if you WANT training and price is an obstacle, I also will point out that there are still cheap opportunities.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink. It's about priorities that some folks just don't have right in their head. The issue is is not nearly about money as much as education that training is necessary to be responsible carrying the life saving/ending tools that we do.

This is a tough sell to a lot of "too cool for school" folks. The "ah grew up wit' guns" crowd are also part of the type A personalities we have to convince that training would even beneficial to those that "already know."

I was at the Indy 1500 all day Saturday. More that one seasoned INGOer, that one might assume would know better, pointed guns at me. Granted, they were zip tied guns, but it shows what their standard practice is.

The other edge of the sword is that some of our "trained" professionals from the military and law enforcement are not only unsafe gun handlers themselves, but are bad examples.

------------------------------------

Those who really are in a tight situation money-wise would be prudent to check out this:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ay-private-instruction-march-8-2014-mcfg.html
    Those who are not financially challenged would be just as prudent.

Last edited:

poisonspyder

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    Durango

I am a NRA instructor and teach this class in colorado. You obviously know someone or the person teaches as a service to the community. At 25 dollars for a minimum of 8 hours of class per rules and 11 bucks at the least per person for materials. You can't make a living or break even. I have to renew my teaching credentials yearly about 20 to 30 per class you teach and I carry insurance but not required. I spent over a grand getting certified and a few weekends of my time. I have my own range so I save money there and I am certified as a range safety officer (another 30 a year). Five people per instructor so more than five and I need a assistant. I could make 70 bucks or 8.75 a hour plus I have to pay income taxes on that and I didn't include other materials I teach with and time filling out paperwork after and before class. Chairs a table, pens, paper, targets and ammo all add up.

I think 100 bucks for 8 hours is reasonable. I teach them for 400 bucks and you can bring up to 5 in your group. I do a ccw class here in colorado to suffice with the law required to get a ccw permit. This class is two hours and I charge 50 for that with a minimum of two per class. I think basic pistol is a pretty bad class as the NRA tries to teach to much and should focus more on safety and range time not cartridge components and single or double action revolvers and semi autos etc.... Safety and firearm handling is the most important thing to learn first. I risk my life with new shooters every month for two hours at 50 bucks not including my expenses, but I wouldn't for 8 hours of my time would you?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    First of all I don't know what others have as fas as overhead for teaching NRA courses. I do know my cost structure. But if you want to take a basic NRA course I have one in March for $150 per couple ($75 a person). This is Personal Protection course and not Basic Pistol. I would link but tablet wont let me.

It is not a price thing. We offered a Basic Pistol course for $25 for students and $75 for others and had to cancel because only 6 people signed up. Keep in mind the student materials are $20 a head + range rental + insurance. Not complaining but it costs about $40-$50 a head without instructors time. 1 instructor per 4students.

We will not be offering Basic Pistol in 2014 due to lack of enrollment. Our Personal Protection courses always fill. Instead I will be offering private classes. $100 a day for groups of 2-3 people. So $33-$50 a head. You want the NRA certificate then I can offer that as well. Materials are $20 each. So there you go NRA FIRST or Basic Pistol for $53. I will do this according to your schedule, tailor the class to your interests and will even give you the FL CWL application. And yes I carry all the NRA pistol creds. So the opportunities are there, but catch is I don't advertise or have a website because that costs money. Word of mouth works fine.

In the interest of this thread I would be happy to answer questions. And for the record I think $100 or more is reasonable for a day of training with well established training companies. My training business is a hobby and tax write off because it actually costs me money to operate. But I get to help people and promote shooting and firearms ownership which is cool.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    I'm a big fan of Kirk's tax deductible class. Also, I think maybe the NRA could subsidize a basic safety course. I agree the current one is way too long and has too much random info. It should focus a lot more on safety and a lot less on trying to teach every type of gun and ammo. That could be a second class.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Sin-city Tokyo
    Honestly, the price is the only thing holding my wife and I back from trying it out. It's an expense we can't justify making right now.

Yup... I could see/justify a triple-digit price if other bells and whistles are added to the class...such as the trainer bringing a variety of popular pistols (such as the 1911, the 1911A1, the Colt Commander, the Para-Ordinance P14-45 the Para Warthog, the new
    Colt M45A1, 1911's by Kimber, SIG-Sauer, Ruger, Wilson Combat, etc.) to hold and fire to see which type of 1911 the new shooters like the best and thus save them from wasting their time with lesser, non-Divinely inspired pistols. (LOL! :laugh: )

But I can't see paying as a student, nor charging as an instructor, that kind of money for a one-day class that covers basic information that I'm fairly confident that I have a decent understanding of, such as the difference between revolvers...

DSC03517.JPG

...and pistols, and how to hit your target:

Corners center NS.jpg

(4 well-aimed shots at each corner, and one dead center... :cool: )

Last edited:

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    *SIGH*

We charge $150, and provide (AT NO EXTRA CHARGE) all of the FIREARMS, AMMUNITION, SAFETY SUPPLIES, TARGETS, TARGET STANDS & STICKS, LASER PISTOLS, INSURANCE, TRAILER, CLASSROOM, PROJECTOR, COMPUTER, PRINTER, PAPER, MONITOR, WATER COOLER, CHAIRS, TABLES, PENS, SNAP CAPS OF ALL CALIBERS, BLUE GUNS, COFFEE MAKER & SUPPLIES, $13 per person book packs, (mandatory) etc.

All of the kit guns have to be cleaned and maintained: Glock, Springfield, Bersa, Taurus, S&W x 2, Walther, Sig, & GSG.

Part of the instructor course is an exercise where the students have to figure out what it costs to run a course. Nobody comes up with less than $125 and if the do they have grossly overlooked something.

I have $4000+ in all of my instructor ratings, and pay my instructors well.

My bill for BOOK PACKS ALONE last year was $13,000!

I appreciate your frustration. Now you have a taste of mine and a little balance. Perhaps you could change your title to I CAN'T AFFORD TRAINING rather than TRAINING COST IS TOO %&#$ HIGH. Big difference. In mocking the curriculum you make your point moot. If all we cover is "an 8-hour this is the end the ouchy things we call bullets come from" *BASIC* pistol class" why do you care what we charge? You are clearly an expert and can learn nothing from such a waste of time.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    First of all I don't know what others have as fas as overhead for teaching NRA courses. I do know my cost structure. But if you want to take a basic NRA course I have one in March for $150 per couple ($75 a person). This is Personal Protection course and not Basic Pistol. I would link but tablet wont let me.

It is not a price thing. We offered a Basic Pistol course for $25 for students and $75 for others and had to cancel because only 6 people signed up. Keep in mind the student materials are $20 a head + range rental + insurance. Not complaining but it costs about $40-$50 a head without instructors time. 1 instructor per 4students.

We will not be offering Basic Pistol in 2014 due to lack of enrollment. Our Personal Protection courses always fill. Instead I will be offering private classes. $100 a day for groups of 2-3 people. So $33-$50 a head. You want the NRA certificate then I can offer that as well. Materials are $20 each. So there you go NRA FIRST or Basic Pistol for $53. I will do this according to your schedule, tailor the class to your interests and will even give you the FL CWL application. And yes I carry all the NRA pistol creds. So the opportunities are there, but catch is I don't advertise or have a website because that costs money. Word of mouth works fine.

In the interest of this thread I would be happy to answer questions. And for the record I think $100 or more is reasonable for a day of training with well established training companies. My training business is a hobby and tax write off because it actually costs me money to operate. But I get to help people and promote shooting and firearms ownership which is cool.

If price were the issue, you ought to have a waiting list. That's about as reasonable as I've seen.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    *SIGH*

We charge $150, and provide (AT NO EXTRA CHARGE) all of the FIREARMS, AMMUNITION, SAFETY SUPPLIES, TARGETS, TARGET STANDS & STICKS, LASER PISTOLS, INSURANCE, TRAILER, CLASSROOM, PROJECTOR, COMPUTER, PRINTER, PAPER, MONITOR, WATER COOLER, CHAIRS, TABLES, PENS, SNAP CAPS OF ALL CALIBERS, BLUE GUNS, COFFEE MAKER & SUPPLIES, $13 per person book packs, (mandatory) etc.

All of the kit guns have to be cleaned and maintained: Glock, Springfield, Bersa, Taurus, S&W x 2, Walther, Sig, & GSG.

Part of the instructor course is an exercise where the students have to figure out what it costs to run a course. Nobody comes up with less than $125 and if the do they have grossly overlooked something.

I have $4000+ in all of my instructor ratings, and pay my instructors well.

My bill for BOOK PACKS ALONE last year was $13,000!

I appreciate your frustration. Now you have a taste of mine and a little balance. Perhaps you could change your title to I CAN'T AFFORD TRAINING rather than TRAINING COST IS TOO %&#$ HIGH. Big difference. In mocking the curriculum you make your point moot. If all we cover is "an 8-hour this is the end the ouchy things we call bullets come from" *BASIC* pistol class" why do you care what we charge? You are clearly an expert and can learn nothing from such a waste of time.

I took the class from your instructor. Several years ago. I was a reasonably experienced pistol shooter as was my wife. We took the class to get our FL LTCH. I went with 2 brand new shooters. First off, the instructor did a very good and thorough job. My noob friends got a ton out of the class. On the other hand the material was either very basic or stuff I had no interest in. (Not in any way your fault-it's what the course is). IMO the NRA should divide the class in half. Cover safety for 2h and 2h at the range learning to use the gun safely. Then put all the remaining stuff into a different class for people who want more.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    If price were the issue, you ought to have a waiting list. That's about as reasonable as I've seen.

It's all about market research. It is reasonable priced. Actually the most reasonable for NRA curriculum in the area that I can think of.

However, we're also not considering his location, the demographics of people in those areas (such a BWframe points out, in rural areas people have the "I grew up around guns" mentality), distance they must drive (convenience), his avenue of advertising (if any), how much advertising he puts out, the type of person he's targeting in his advertisements, etc.

There is infinitely more to successful sales then purely price.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I'm a big fan of Kirk's tax deductible class. Also, I think maybe the NRA could subsidize a basic safety course. I agree the current one is way too long and has too much random info. It should focus a lot more on safety and a lot less on trying to teach every type of gun and ammo. That could be a second class.

They have that. It is called F.I.R.S.T. I actually offer this as introduction and then will move into fun range exercises. Works good. But the student misses out on a lot of the terminology and background that might help them do a better job chossing the right handgun for their needs.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    It's all about market research. It is reasonable priced. Actually the most reasonable for NRA curriculum in the area that I can think of.

However, we're also not considering his location, the demographics of people in those areas (such a BWframe points out, in rural areas people have the "I grew up around guns" mentality), distance they must drive (convenience), his avenue of advertising (if any), how much advertising he puts out, the type of person he's targeting in his advertisements, etc.

There is infinitely more to successful sales then purely price.

No doubt. It wasn't meant to be any sort of slight on Vert or anything. It's "us". We don't mind spending $45 for a box of WWB .45's and blowing through them in an afternoon or buying some accessory to try out. Heck, we don't even mind $100 cable bills and don't even complain much about $3-something-per-gallon gas anymore(as I mentioned in another thread). It's just that many don't see the value in spending $100+ on training even though the knowledge and skills may make us more responsible and/or safer gun owners.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I took the class from your instructor. Several years ago. I was a reasonably experienced pistol shooter as was my wife. We took the class to get our FL LTCH. I went with 2 brand new shooters. First off, the instructor did a very good and thorough job. My noob friends got a ton out of the class. On the other hand the material was either very basic or stuff I had no interest in. (Not in any way your fault-it's what the course is). IMO the NRA should divide the class in half. Cover safety for 2h and 2h at the range learning to use the gun safely. Then put all the remaining stuff into a different class for people who want more.
    This has been discussed several times here. The NRA has political/social responsibility interests in the design of their courses. They put out the very basic level of knowledge they feel a gun owner should have in their basic class level, in order to help eliminate dumb-dumb mistakes which anti-gunners like to drag all over the place. If they missed a key point in the basics in such a class, then sure enough it would allow for more mistakes to be made by the public and hurt our cause.

They actually don't have very stringent requirements for being an instructor. There is a social responsibility purpose to this as well. More instructors = more educated gun owners = less mishaps = less to fight on the political end = increased revenue to fight what's left. The more instructors they can get out there on the basics, the better it is for us all (assuming they're all competent.) Introducing competition also SHOULD, in large scale business, drive down prices which allows more people to make use of it. Unfortunately, not all business principles make it to gun owners and so too many see "certification" = $$$ under the assumption "oh, instructor X charges $200/person, so I can too."

Last edited:
    Top Bottom