• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    The whole article claims that the one-hour time change is detrimental, but the next to last line says, "For something as insignificant as a one-hour time change?" Is it detrimental or insignificant?

Every Sunday I get up an hour earlier than my regular time, so that I can get to church on time. If I am tired in the afternoon I take a nap. It does not take several days to recover.
    You are one of the lucky ones. Takes me 8 months

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    STRAWMAN!

Heck this guy just plagiarized this thread. :lmfao:

He has no new ideas, none. Just the same ole BS put out to get clicks.

Americans don’t get more daylight. Plants don’t enjoy an extra hour of sunshine. As the Transportation Department’s 1974 study admitted, “DST does not affect the actual number of hours of darkness during a 24-hour period.” And if the hours of darkness are not affected, neither are their counterparts.”

Could someone show me a serious article that makes the author believes that DST creates more daylight? “That actual the number of hours of hours of darkness” decrease and light increases?

Changing clocks does not change science or the amount of light, it is about shifting the typical workday, a social construct, to earlier in the the light period we have thereby leaving more of the available light after that workday or even more workday for some.
    You keep wanting to make this about the actual changing of the clocks when it is about the results of such a mandate. A significant number of people don't want artificial daylight at what should be a time of darkness and/or artificial darkness that at what should be a time of light

So it becomes a worthless ritual leading to an undesirable state of affairs

Quiet Observer

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    St. John
    You keep wanting to make this about the actual changing of the clocks when it is about the results of such a mandate. A significant number of people don't want artificial daylight at what should be a time of darkness and/or artificial darkness that at what should be a time of light

You do not turn on any lights in your house after sunset, regardless of the time of year? If you drive at night, you do not want any streetlights and do not use your headlights?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

And yet a plurality does not exist to change it to what you describe as a significant number of people do want…

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    You do not turn on any lights in your house after sunset, regardless of the time of year? If you drive at night, you do not want any streetlights and do not use your headlights?
    Flip that script

If you want more light after natural sunset, why not just turn on lights instead of rearrange natural time

If you want it dark later in the morning, they make lined curtains - no need to distort the natural order

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    And yet a plurality does not exist to change it to what you describe as a significant number of people do want…
    Why would someone, whose position is also only supported by a plurality, use the fact that the alternate position is not supported by a majority as an implied criticism - seems inconsistent

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    There apparently was when originally passed…
    Wartime

There apparently was a majority in favor of invading Iraq at one time, also

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow." - Agent Kay, Men in Black

Quiet Observer

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    St. John
    Flip that script

If you want more light after natural sunset, why not just turn on lights instead of rearrange natural time

If you want it dark later in the morning, they make lined curtains - no need to distort the natural order
    Clocks do not change "natural time" or order. No device can. Clocks are just a measuring or coordinating device for broad societal activity. As others have noted, when it is noon, the sun is not over the same spot in all parts of a time zone. Sun noon is different in New York and Indianapolis.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Clocks do not change "natural time" or order. No device can. Clocks are just a measuring or coordinating device for broad societal activity. As others have noted, when it is noon, the sun is not over the same spot in all parts of a time zone. Sun noon is different in New York and Indianapolis.
    And, the warmest part of the day is around 4:00, after the sun heats everything up.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I'll take that as a no.
    So there obviously must be enough support to pass it and extend it or it would not have happened. Even if corporate supporters want it for something like this, that directly impacts people, there usually is some support from the people.

It is laughable how INGO is such a pocket of anti DST and just cannot believe a lot of others love it.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    So there obviously must be enough support to pass it and extend it or it would not have happened. Even if corporate supporters want it for something like this, that directly impacts people, there usually is some support from the people.

It is laughable how INGO is such a pocket of anti DST and just cannot believe a lot of others love it.
    Then show your work. The laughable thing is how you think that the .gov actually gave two :poop: s about what the people wanted.

I don't know anyone that likes changing the clocks. Period. I have yet to ask anyone and have them answer, yes they like changing the clocks. You always focus on your own love of DST, and continue to ignore that most people just want to stop changing the clocks.

I'd really like to know why the House still refuses to take up the bill to make DST permanent. The Senate passed it unanimously. 19 states have passed bills to do so if the Fed ever changes the law. 17 more have bills submitted to be voted on.

Top Bottom