• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    My wife had one of the Sunday morning news programs on this morning and they did a piece on daylight savings time. According to their story, DST was and continues to be promoted by the business lobby who have determined that the longer day generates more shopping revenue. One trade group was quoted as estimating it benefits their members to the tune of $250 million per year. I had always believed the claim that it was farmers who want and benefit from DST but this story reported that the Ag industry does not favor it because it upsets livestock feeding routines for one.

Anytime you want to know the reason for something, just follow the money.

This dovetails perfectly with my take and preferences. The people make greater us of the daylight if it is after work and school not in the morning.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Or get one that syncs to the atomic clock and adjusts automatically DST/Standard time based on the time zone you have it set for. Both my Gshocks do this, and they were not expensive.
    My Apple Watch does this. Who has to set clocks anymore? :dunno:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    This dovetails perfectly with my take and preferences. The people make greater us of the daylight if it is after work and school not in the morning.
    Well. It depends. There’s a stretch during the part of the calendar when there isn’t a lot of daylight left after work, but enough before work that I could get some stuff done outside in the morning. But then we start getting regular frosty mornings. And that kinda gums up the works. And then we get into the part of the calendar where there’s no time before or after work to do much outside. So in the winter, it just doesn’t ****ing matter.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Well. It depends. There’s a stretch during the part of the calendar when there isn’t a lot of daylight left after work, but enough before work that I could get some stuff done outside in the morning. But then we start getting regular frosty mornings. And that kinda gums up the works. And then we get into the part of the calendar where there’s no time before or after work to do much outside. So in the winter, it just doesn’t ****ing matter.
    Yep, too bad it not magic. But it works very well for the time it is intended to.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Am I the only one who thinks we should just split the difference and keep our clocks fixed rather than changing every 6 months?
    We in Indiana have tried most of the possible options. To me this seems best. If people did not beef about changing clocks they would be complaining about how the TV schedule is messed up, or their zoom meeting times are screwed up vs those that do change. Then there is the whole computer time issue, the Indiana non uniformity would need to be programed into every software with a time feature.

Top Bottom