• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    Now that's an awful idea, but showing my girlfriend articles, like the one that was recently posted about the family in Texas who wrestled the shotgun away from the intruders and ultimetly shot and killed one and injured the other, really put things into perspective for her. I also shared a few other articles, introduced her to the basics of how firearms work, the basics of competitive shooting (she is a competitive person in just about everything, so she liked the competitive shooting side of gun ownership) and the "golden rules" of shooting safely.

Having a love one "kidnapped" is just a plain awful idea, who would even consider doing that?

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    I'm in with Annie on this one. Use "scare-tactics" is the Worst. Idea. EVAR. In my guns-only-hurt-people mind, telling me stories about bad guys hurting me, and even better still, that they might be armed with guns themselves, only reinforced that guns-only-hurt-people.

Showing me how they worked, taking it apart, making me hold it, taking me to the range, learning about competitive shooting, learning about training classes... THOSE are the steps you need to take.

Scaring her into thinking she needs to have a gun for self-protection doesn't reinforce the idea that she needs to learn to shoot it. It's pointless to own and carry a firearm if you're too afraid to touch it, much less shoot it. HUGE mindset issues there.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    others may disagree , but i figure you would want to know someone pretty well before you have any contact for them to find out if you have a gun on you.
    and if your veiws are not close , maybe you two just won't work out..
    I have met several women who did not have a problem with personal carry..
    one co worker once compaired it to swords from past era, a well dressed gentlmen does not travel with out one..

when i first knew my wife, before i had thought of dating her we talked about guns & the fact that i carried one... She was ok with it..
    Now she out guns me...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Don't make guns your singular hobby. Be a well-rounded individual with a normally-adjusted social life that just happens to enjoy shooting guns recreationally and using them legally for self-protection, and that will go a long way for when she eventually finds out. If things are getting hot and heavy on a first date, that's probably not the kind of woman you want to establish a long-term relationship with anyways.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Took my wife of 15 years shooting very early on (within the first half dozen dates or so). She had never been. Loved it. Took her shopping for a SIG P230 the night I proposed. It would have been a deal-breaker for me so I wanted to find out early on. Hey, a guy has to have standards! You will save yourself A LOT of grief if you do. Set some criteria to help do some screening early on before you get emotionally involved. After that, you won't be making rational decisions. ;-)

sig-sweet

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Usually there is something that has attracted the lady to you and you to her. Use that commonality, let it lead to the conversation about your hobby, let it come around naturally. Scaring anyone into believing they need a gun in this time of toil we're in will make it a task instead of a joy. It would make it like going to a job you hate but you have to go...most of the women I've met are no different than most of us on here. They just need some patience and education. Today’s women are pretty intelligent on worldly matters of today. I’m thinking it’ll be easier than you think…..good luck

Flintlock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Southeastern Indiana
    I have been dating my girlfriend for 6 months now. She doesn't mind my gun hobby, but it just does not interest her. She (as well as her entire family) are staunch Republicans, so she supports the right to keep and bear arms, but she is just not interested in things that go bang. She likes playing piano and the like. But that's ok! I'm going to get her to shoot with me sometime soon, I've just got to instill the love of things that go bang in her!

I just don't talk much about guns around her because it will go right over her head. She's never even held a firearm, so I am having to educate her about them. It's a slow process, but she is more than open to learning.

:)

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    I dated a girl a while back, when we were being introduced my obssesion with guns is well noted by my friends, about five weeks in we were at the Dekalb county Fair , she put her arm around me, felt by beretta, asked what that was, before I could respond she took her arm away from me and started walking in front of me,

Another time we were in my room, I was sleeping in the basement of my house at that time, and shee noticed the gun cases I kept in the floor joices, she got uncomfortable, I got a little peeved and asked, but the pistol on the desk is fine then, the next thing she said was, um can you take me home?

BTW it is an obsession,

so far I have,
    a sig P225, P220, beretta92 fs, an old rolling block I am restoring, a savage mark II .22lr. a winchester 1300, and FAL,M1 garand, and a sig 556, a mosin Nagat, Savage made Lee-enfield, and again I am just 22 and all but two of those have been pocured in the last 2 years, so while guns are not my only hobby, any girl I date needs to accept that it is one of my favorite hobbies, and most of my time, and money goes into shooting, and if she is not open to or willing to accept this I know things just won't work, C'est la vie,

Alicia

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    NW IN
    I wouldn't want to know, personally. My boyfriend does carry and I didn't know right away nor would I have wanted to. I have no problem with guns and never really did - but if he'd just pulled the gun out and tried to hand it to me on our first date things probably wouldn't have worked out so well.

Once I got to know him better he told me about it, and I think that it was the right time. It never really freaked me out, but when he first told me about it, I was hyper aware of the fact that he was carrying. It's just something you get used to and then it's not a big deal anymore. Now I tend to notice if he's not carrying versus when he is.

"ThatGuy"

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    my second date with my current girlfriend was to a friends house for an after work shoot. She had never shot a gun before and was surrounded by guys in uniform, guns, and my buddies girlfriends/dates. She absolutely loved it and everytime she sees that I got more mags, ammo, or parts in the mail she says "you know your gonna let me use that right". I love it, but then again I guess its kinda like a woman thats pregnant, cause I have to buy ammo for 2 now

I'd say that if the girl your wanting to date had never shot a gun before, try to arrange a shoot with a few friends and their wives/girlfriends. I know for Jessi, it made her feel alot more comfortable to be able to chat with other girls and to not feel one on one with having to shoot thing. Also (no offense to the ladies) but if she'd never shot a gun before I'd bring some smaller calibers for her to shoot. The first time Jessi shot with me, she shot my 1911 45 and my ar15. She loved the ar but she hated the 1911 because of the recoil even though she did a kickass job of shooting it.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Will she kill critters?

Thinging about taking your relationship to the next level? They may shoot but they might not wanta' shoot a critter. This, of course, is OK. Shooting critters is different. My wife and my adult daughter both like to shoot. The daughter wouldn't even consider shooting anything that's breathing but she is a paper-slayer. My wife, OTOH, absolutely lays waste to prairie dogs with glee. I sometimes can't shoot because I'm laughing at her. Boom - Whap...."Woohoo!" Boom -Whap........"Airdog!" Boom - Whap......"DOUBLE!" Talk about reactive targets! She's a reactive shooter!

We were gun owners and not much more before we were introduced to prairie doggin'. Now...... it's twice a year to Colorado, South Dakota, Wyoming, or Oklahoma. Take your lady shooting! :D

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    Thinging about taking your relationship to the next level? They may shoot but they might not wanta' shoot a critter. This, of course, is OK. Shooting critters is different. My wife and my adult daughter both like to shoot. The daughter wouldn't even consider shooting anything that's breathing but she is a paper-slayer. My wife, OTOH, absolutely lays waste to prairie dogs with glee. I sometimes can't shoot because I'm laughing at her. Boom - Whap...."Woohoo!" Boom -Whap........"Airdog!" Boom - Whap......"DOUBLE!" Talk about reactive targets! She's a reactive shooter!

We were gun owners and not much more before we were introduced to prairie doggin'. Now...... it's twice a year to Colorado, South Dakota, Wyoming, or Oklahoma. Take your lady shooting! :D

Man, I like your wife! She shounds like fun. :)

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I kinda' like her too

Man, I like your wife! She shounds like fun. :)

I'm a lucky guy, that's for sure! Here we are in South Dakota with her 532 yard prairie dog. We were shooting from right in front of that old barn in the background.

standard.jpg

Top Bottom