• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I am planning on driving through the Daniel Boone National Forest via 75 on my way to a farther south destination near the end of September. I will be pulling a pop up camper behind a small suv. It looks like I would like to stay somewhere near the Stearns Ranger District area. Id like find a remote unimproved spot for 1 or 2 nights. A bit of mountain biking and solitude are my primary goals. I will be completely self contained. Any recommendations on where to stay?

Dentoro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Fairland
    We just stayed in a local campground and ventured out on day hikes. That way still have acces to showers and good water. Red river gorge hiking is totally worth the trip. We spent a week there last summer.

Dentoro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Fairland
    There are plenty of places to park and you have to register if you stay over night. Keep in mind also there are bears and mtn. lions there so be careful with food. Another good reason for the campground.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    September's end is the peak of the local pot farmers harvest time. I would recommend the more popular areas around cave lake over far remote camping during the harvest peak just to be a little safer. I would worry more of the far remote growers than the bears.

The government cracked down down since the 1990's but in the day the forest was known as the Daniel Boone national pot forest. Fourth largest grow area in the United States (the other three being Northern California) and by far the largest east of the Mississippi.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    There is a nice campground near London, Ky. It is across from the Laurel Co. fairgrounds. I am down there every year for the ASA Pro-Am. I have never stayed there but have heard a lot of good things from other shooters. If I remember there is biking trails nearby.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    There are plenty of places to park and you have to register if you stay over night. Keep in mind also there are bears and mtn. lions there so be careful with food. Another good reason for the campground.

I called the Ranger station to order a map and with some questions. They told me no registration of any kind needed. They said to pull 300ft off the road and camp anywhere I liked.

Top Bottom