• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    There are some unbelievable stories coming out of CPS, but this isn't one of them. If the description is accurate, there was no running water or electricity, the house was infested with insects and the kids were filthy and sick and required medical attention. They were squatters and the kids were not being taken care of humanely.

I'm not a proponent of CPS... but if we are going to have a CPS, then cases like this are why. I have more problems with them stealing kids that are otherwise healthy and living in good condition, but their parents smoke a little pot.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    This is scary.

I think the government should inspect all of our homes regularly to make sure that we are suitable parents. Perhaps the OP can decide who should and shouldn't be allowed to have children.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    This is scary.

I think the government should inspect all of our homes regularly to make sure that we are suitable parents. Perhaps the OP can decide who should and shouldn't be allowed to have children.

Not what I or the story said.
    Where do YOU draw the line for authorities to get involved in child welfare issues?

Bob

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    They didn't randomly inspect the house, they responded to a 911 call and found these kids living in a vacated home without basic necessities.

Again... I'm not a fan of CPS, but I don't look at children like expendable property either... the same way I think dog owners who leave their dogs in scorching sun all day without water or in a car with the windows rolled up should have their dogs taken from them... this COULD BE a case where these children were not being provided with livable conditions.

(I don't know all the details without being there, but it doesn't sound like an over reach for this department to take these kids... given the description of their jobs)

We can argue about what should be the proper description of CPS powers... or even whether or not CPS should exist, but given that they do exist and do have a job description... it seems clear that this could have been a case where they performed their job as described.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Not what I or the story said.
    Where do YOU draw the line for authorities to get involved in child welfare issues?

Bob

Well... this is the problem we have with Police and Politicians right now. They somehow have evolved authority past their job descriptions. That authority needs checked in a major way.... CPS also routinely oversteps their authority.. I'm personally not sure this is one of those cases. (without more details)

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    If your on welfare and the government pays for your doctor visits, child birthing cost, and food. then the government should have a right to stop you from having any more. The kids belongs to the government, after all, the government is the father supporting the kid.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Rather than clutter up the "other" thread I started a new one to see the other side of the coin. In that thread there were some basically saying there was no reason for CPS to exist and that parents should be left alone to raise their kids. Maybe I should have put "ALL parents know how to raise their kids" in purple.
    That should explain it better so the name calling goes no further. I'd prefer this thread not go to that level.

Bob

horsehaulin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I don't see how this was a case where they overstepped. Sounds legit and warrentec to me. I wish they had done the same for my son instead of my wife and I spending thousands to get custody.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    The argument that CPS should not exist is not equivalent to the claim that 'all parents know how to raise their kids'. I thought that a straw-man for a straw-man was a fair trade. Hypocrisy isn't a 'name', it is the proper label for this.

Child neglect and abuse is a problem. Nobody here will claim that it isn't, at least nobody with any sense. The question isn't whether or not it is a real problem. The question is what should be the solution?

Is another government agency the solution? Fortunately, we have some empirical evidence to answer this question. We can simply look at the antics of this agency that already exists and see if it works. It doesn't. Good parents are punished, bad parents are ignored. Most of us probably know families that are proof of this.

Honestly, if the standard of parenting is cleanliness and attentiveness, then half of Kentucky and a whole lot of southern Indiana would not be allowed to raise children. I think that a better solution is to intervene in each others lives. Friends, family, neighbors...look out for the people and children in your realm of influence. The government can not and will not save the world. We need to take responsibility.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Honestly, if the standard of parenting is cleanliness and attentiveness, then half of Kentucky and a whole lot of southern Indiana would not be allowed to raise children. I think that a better solution is to intervene in each others lives. Friends, family, neighbors...look out for the people and children in your realm of influence. The government can not and will not save the world. We need to take responsibility.

Though I'm pretty sure folks that live outside of the geographical areas described above can be singled out (see story), I whole-heartedly agree with the suggested solution. In-source the responsibility and let the .gov whither on the vine.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    This was good police work in my opinion. CPS just did what they had to do by taking custody because the police threw the parents in jail and rightly so. I hope a judge throws the book at them. They deserve it.
    i hope the kids get a fair shake at life.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    The argument that CPS should not exist is not equivalent to the claim that 'all parents know how to raise their kids'. I thought that a straw-man for a straw-man was a fair trade. Hypocrisy isn't a 'name', it is the proper label for this. You stated I would be a " gigantic hypocrite",

Child neglect and abuse is a problem. Nobody here will claim that it isn't, at least nobody with any sense. The question isn't whether or not it is a real problem. The question is what should be the solution?

Is another government agency the solution? Fortunately, we have some empirical evidence to answer this question. We can simply look at the antics of this agency that already exists and see if it works. It doesn't. Good parents are punished, bad parents are ignored. Most of us probably know families that are proof of this. No, another agency is not needed. Hiring the correct number and type of people to handle the mountains of cases would be a start. Look at the rules this agency operate and change them at that time. People seem willing to throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Honestly, if the standard of parenting is cleanliness and attentiveness, then half of Kentucky and a whole lot of southern Indiana would not be allowed to raise children. I think that a better solution is to intervene in each others lives. Friends, family, neighbors...look out for the people and children in your realm of influence. The government can not and will not save the world. We need to take responsibility. We agree that people should take more responsibility. Unhealthy conditions should be part of the benchmark, such as bugs, feces and proper nutrition. Until people do take responsibility we need to have something.

Bob

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    By doing what exactly? Not being smart, I am simply curious.

What is the alternative to agencies such as CPS?

*Not saying CPS/DCS does not overact or react completely wrong (goodness knows I have been there).

My in-laws are from a poor area of Kentucky. Many of the kids around there are in a very similar situation as these in the story.

CPS was no help. My in-laws bought many of the kids clothes, food, etc. Let them stay at their home. Even took in some neglected nieces and nephews to live with them for several years to make sure they were cared for.

You stated I would be a " gigantic hypocrite",

You misrepresented an argument, then called me out for doing the same. Is that not hypocrisy?

No, another agency is not needed. Hiring the correct number and type of people to handle the mountains of cases would be a start. Look at the rules this agency operate and change them at that time. People seem willing to throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Not going to happen. This is the government we're talking about, here. They can't even deliver mail properly.

We agree that people should take more responsibility. Unhealthy conditions should be part of the benchmark, such as bugs, feces and proper nutrition. Until people do take responsibility we need to have something.

I agree with all of these standards. I just don't think that the government is a realistic solution. And I think that history agrees with me.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Unhealthy conditions should be part of the benchmark, such as bugs, feces and proper nutrition. Until people do take responsibility we need to have something.
    Flea problem, cats misusing litterbox, kids eating pop-tarts = state confiscates children.That's the standard?

Top Bottom