• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tankerdave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2014
    N E Indiana
    Has anyone had any experience with a Tristar CZ clone? I took my CZ 75 compact out finally and loved it. Now I would like to find a PO 1 but they are hard to find. My lgs has a couple Tristar with the aluminum frame and seem like a good price. I know they are not a CZ but a clone and have read some good reviews on them. Just don't want to be disappointed in it. Hoping someone can help. Thank you in advance.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Well...you got me curious. I just saw a youtube video that made me want one. I have 2 CZ 75 compacts, and love them. 1 is a steel frame, the other is a PCR, so I think it is aluminum. I have always heard good about most CZ clones. I took this from a comment under the video. [FONT=&amp]Actually, the P-100 is a CZ P-01 clone. The C-100 is a CZ-75 Compact clone. The P-120 is a SP-01 clone, and the S-120 is a CZ 75B clone.

It would be interesting to find out if the mags are interchangable...[/FONT]

Tankerdave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2014
    N E Indiana
    I am too, my CZ 75 compact is the steel frame, that is why I want a P 01 or a PCR for the lighter frame. I was amazed with my compact the 1st time out. I found 1 P-01 used but it has a threaded barrel and the factory one and a Crimson Trace laser on it, I don't need those so more than I can spend now. The Tristar looked like a possible alternative. My lgs had a T-100 in black, silver and a P-120 if I remember correctly. Thanks ru44mag for the info.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I own a Canik C-100. It is kinda weird it says C-100 on the lower frame and then Canik55 on the slide. Anyway, it is the CZ75 compact clone. It shots just fine. I probably have 300+ rounds through it with no malfunctions. It isn't much different than my full size CZ-75B other than being lighter (aluminum frame instead of steel) and shorter.

Is Tristar and Canik the same company?

Tankerdave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2014
    N E Indiana
    Thanks Wolfhound for the info. I don't know if they are the same but did notice the Canik55 on the side plus the T-100 also. Sounds like a good choice so far.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I own a Canik C-100. It is kinda weird it says C-100 on the lower frame and then Canik55 on the slide. Anyway, it is the CZ75 compact clone. It shots just fine. I probably have 300+ rounds through it with no malfunctions. It isn't much different than my full size CZ-75B other than being lighter (aluminum frame instead of steel) and shorter.

Is Tristar and Canik the same company?

I think they are the same. Did a search and found this. Lol.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/347373-canik-vs-tri-star.html
    Hummm. Must not have done that right.
    [h=3]Canik vs Tri-Star - Indiana Gun Owners[/h]

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I'm a big CZ fan, so it's hard for me to recommend a clone vs the real thing. That said, I've heard some excellent things about the Canik clones being very well made. I handled a P-100 many moons ago as I was debating spending the extra $$ on a P-01 that was also in the case. The Canik was really cool, and I thought had better factory sights (not hard to do, stock CZ sights are a bit lacking), and the stock trigger wasn't bad either. I went with the P-01 as I had been searching for one for a long time, it was there, and to this day is a keeper. But I don't think picking the Canik at the time would have been a bad choice. Also, if I'm not mistaken, CGW has a good selection of upgrade parts for the clones as well.

I know that's a wishy-washy answer. One thing I've found over the years is that if your heart is really set on something, I doubt you'll be happy with a substitute in the long run. Gently used P-01 models do come up from time-to-time, and if you can be patient, I think you'll be glad that you were.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I had a S120 and it was nice. It shot pretty much POA and I had no issues right out of the box with any failures.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I have a T100.

It's pretty sweet, accurate, and compatible with CZ aftermarket parts. Not many options for good kydex holsters. The DA pull is awful, but luckily it's easy to fix with a new hammer spring.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I had an S-120. I ended up selling it and getting a used CZ just because I decided I wanted the real thing. That said, I never had any issues with the Tristar, it was a great gun.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    CZs aren’t expensive enough to warrant buying knock off clones. Buy the real thing.

Unless you’re thinking about a Kriss Sphinx. Do buy if that’s the case.

Tankerdave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2014
    N E Indiana
    Thank you to everyone that replied to my post with your knowledge and experience. I think I'm going to keep looking for now for a PO-1, because as stated if I jump on a Tristar now and find a PO-1 later I will regret not getting it. If I don't find one I know they are available at my LGS so I won't have to go far. Now to see how long I can wait, lol.

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I don't know if you intend to carry this but just one more thing to consider. CZ has decocker models. Tristar/Canik do not have decockers. But Tristar can be manually decocked and carried with safety on in DA mode, something a CZ won't do. That may or may not be relevant to you decision.

Tankerdave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2014
    N E Indiana
    Thanks KMaC, yeah I found that out after handling it before I got out to the range. Also I had a problem of my thumb hitting the safety between shots and pushing it up enough to not fire. Started to put my thumb on top to keep from doing that. I will need to practice with it to get use to it, but won't be a deal breaker.

Top Bottom