• ...and so much more!
  • Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I've definitely been shooting a lot less. I don't generally take my machinegun to the range and go through 300 to 500 rounds.

I have gotten back into black powder shooting, both muzzle loader and cartridge and generally my range trips have dropped down to 50 to 75 rounds in a session. Still having fun though... except when it's so hot that the lube melts off my boolits.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I have definitely shot less.

Part of that is the pandemic. The DNR range I used to frequent shut down half its lanes and going there was basically just sitting on the ground waiting for a lane.

Part of that is personal life stuff. I've got three boys under 7 and my me time is basically 1-2 hours after bedtime to watch gun videos on youtube after cleaning up the house for the day.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    The word is that the manufacturers would like to see and end to production of .22 ammo. So if they make it at all they will want us to really 'pay' them to make it.

If you think about it the people running the machinery get paid the same no matter what is on the line, the electric and other costs are the same. Granted the amount of raw materials is less but when the public is so willing to pay going rate for ammo the manufacturers will want to set up the lines for the center fire and not look back. They have considered the .22 a 'give-away' for years now.

No, I don't see things ever getting back to 'normal' and I believe we are going to have to accept a 'new normal' for either factory made ammo or reloads. They will dry up the market to put the herd to stir and then milk us all for all we are worth.

My prediction is that .22 will go the way of the CMP M1 carbine, 1917 and 1903. We will all remember seeing them, but wonder where they all went...
    Sorry, but I'm not buying this - at all.

First, and most important point: .22 rimfire is made on dedicated, separate, production lines using several pieces of equipment that are fundamentally different than what is used for centerfire. Manufacturers absolutely are NOT converting a line from .22 RF to something like 9mm Luger and then back again. 9mm vs 380 Auto - definitely - and that is completely different story.

Second point: Rimfire ammo production takes less man power than centerfire and requires fewer manufacturing steps.

Third point: Over the last several decades rimfire ammo calibers and styles have been expanded, not reduced, and new products have been continually introduced. Killing off rimfire ammo production does not fit with that trend.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    LONG TALE

Well, I am quite happy with my ammo and reloading status. I am lucky as I have son's that are into shooting and collecting as much as I am.

I am 80 now - haven't shot for over a year due to the pandemic. Wife is at high risk (on oxygen 24/7) so I avoided ALL risks possible. We are now both fully vaccinated so not quite as risky.

Son and I have collected (more just bought when prices were right) many firearms during the last 20~35 years. As the word got around I had friends and others call me with firearms for sale cheap.

We bought bulk ammo both online, at shows, and locally when prices were very low, same with reloading supplies. Bought a lot online but always bought any "real cheap" good ammo at gun shows.

I remember the last 22 LR cartridge shortage when bricks were up to $30 ~ $40 each, we had several 1K rounds in stock. After the shortage was over we purchased thousands of rounds of Federal on a special coupon sale for around $14 a brick (7,500 round purchase). Also bought a few K at gun shows for less than $20 a brick.

We have way more ammo than we will ever shoot in our life times. One time a friend that knew our passion called and told me a guy he knew was just divorced and had a garage full of firearm ammo and equipment for sale cheap. I purchased the whole lot for less than $200! It had 2 lead pots, scales, buckets of die sets, brass, molds, bullets and Lubrisizer along with other reloading supplies.

We started reloading 25 or so years ago with a Lee turret press, gradually I found and purchased several great hand presses and multiple die sets when I found them cheap at shows. A few years ago my youngest son (in his early 40's at the time) saved up enough money and bought a complete new Hornady progressive reloaded with plates, dies and all accessories for reloading about 30 different calibers. (little over $2K).

A few years ago we had a local gun store in my town for a couple of years - I bought at least a 1000 primers ($10 ) there every week plus bulk powder when he ordered a supply.

The above sounds like a lot of money BUT it was spread over many years! Therefore we NEVER were in a position to "need" ammo during the panics when prices were high and/or supplies low.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Capitalism rules. We will come out of this slump of an ammo shortage but the calm water will show us a 20 percent higher price than pre COVID. As we loose more shooters to burnout, new gun owners that will not buy their 2nd box of ammo, and many of us die off, the supply chain will be full again.

I'm not sure ammo prices will ultimately be higher because of the election and scamdemic.

"Good prices will never return," was also said quite a bit after the Obama shortage years. I believe the Obama shortage encouraged ammo production and highlighted shooter stockpiling. Shooters learned from being caught shorthanded. After everyone's ammo storage was full, folks quit buying and prices moderated due to surplus.

If we don't put up with anymore stolen elections and take congress back in 2022, plus the presidency in 2024, prices will become as good or better than before. :twocents:

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Still shoot the Winchesters regularly, 44-40 and 32-20 using cast bullets. Running out of percussion caps though.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    This all sounds very familiar to me. I can remember back on Dec 2019 when I posted that 'all the 9mm and .223/5.56 will be drying up so buy what you need' and everyone telling me my info was bad and it is only a scam so they can move inventory, etc. Sure am glad my source was wrong on that one...

Meanwhile, American's can't go and eat at any restaurant they want because there is no one to serve them. America's work force is on vacation! Ammo producers were running three shifts but have now backed down to two claiming a lack of resources needed to continue. A Russian embargo pops up over a weekend that literally no one sees coming and everyone is saying, "Ah man, just when things were starting to get better..."

Entire ammo and firearm factories have been bought and sold to 'management groups' with a 'board' in control rather than a person or family. Their responsibly to the company and/or employees is so lost in the current environment that it seems to no longer apply. Need I say more?

When UMC/Remington sold recently everyone was like, "Good, now maybe someone will start putting out a better product." But I didn't hear anyone say anything like, "Gee, I sure hope some Idiot like Soros doesn't create a puppet company and just shut the thing down." And then again, we don't know of anyone in the last few decades that would buy companies when they are on the auction block to then put them on the butcher block...

Now I am not trying to play Chicken Little here, but, if someone waits until after a chunk of sky hits them before they will realize there IS a problem, then you will be too late. We have locals that are reloading their own .22 by making a primer slurry and applying the primer in the shell with Q-tips! Four years ago I would have called them 'crazy', today I want them to tell me their process.

Things will either go one of three ways, they will get better, they will remain unchanged, OR they will get worse. Personally I have run out of hope for the "better" wish. Look around and pick the one you think will happen, not the one you wish will happen...

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    This all sounds very familiar to me. I can remember back on Dec 2019 when I posted that 'all the 9mm and .223/5.56 will be drying up so buy what you need' and everyone telling me my info was bad and it is only a scam so they can move inventory, etc. Sure am glad my source was wrong on that one...

Meanwhile, American's can't go and eat at any restaurant they want because there is no one to serve them. America's work force is on vacation! Ammo producers were running three shifts but have now backed down to two claiming a lack of resources needed to continue. A Russian embargo pops up over a weekend that literally no one sees coming and everyone is saying, "Ah man, just when things were starting to get better..."

Entire ammo and firearm factories have been bought and sold to 'management groups' with a 'board' in control rather than a person or family. Their responsibly to the company and/or employees is so lost in the current environment that it seems to no longer apply. Need I say more?

When UMC/Remington sold recently everyone was like, "Good, now maybe someone will start putting out a better product." But I didn't hear anyone say anything like, "Gee, I sure hope some Idiot like Soros doesn't create a puppet company and just shut the thing down." And then again, we don't know of anyone in the last few decades that would buy companies when they are on the auction block to then put them on the butcher block...

Now I am not trying to play Chicken Little here, but, if someone waits until after a chunk of sky hits them before they will realize there IS a problem, then you will be too late. We have locals that are reloading their own .22 by making a primer slurry and applying the primer in the shell with Q-tips! Four years ago I would have called them 'crazy', today I want them to tell me their process.

Things will either go one of three ways, they will get better, they will remain unchanged, OR they will get worse. Personally I have run out of hope for the "better" wish. Look around and pick the one you think will happen, not the one you wish will happen...
    While I can see politicians being paid off to write unconstitutional laws to restrict ammo sales, manufacturing, possession, etc., I don't believe that factories will be bought up to be shut down. If it's legal to make, sell and own, someone will make it if there is money to be made. Prices may fluctuate wildly, but ammo will always be made as long as it's legal.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Sorry, but I'm not buying this - at all.

First, and most important point: .22 rimfire is made on dedicated, separate, production lines using several pieces of equipment that are fundamentally different than what is used for centerfire. Manufacturers absolutely are NOT converting a line from .22 RF to something like 9mm Luger and then back again. 9mm vs 380 Auto - definitely - and that is completely different story.

Second point: Rimfire ammo production takes less man power than centerfire and requires fewer manufacturing steps.

Third point: Over the last several decades rimfire ammo calibers and styles have been expanded, not reduced, and new products have been continually introduced. Killing off rimfire ammo production does not fit with that trend.
    First, are the workers actually chained to that piece of equipment or can they move to a more needed production line?

Second, the first step in the rimfire line is 'get new shell casing' which brass is the one resource they claim is in short supply.

Third, what else going on in the world would make us tend to believe that what has happened in the past will be our pattern for the future? Do gun haters go for the least used firearms or the most popular? Remember when they wanted to reinstate corrosive primers so the .22 shells have a limited shelf life not to mention what it would do to the gun?

The first line of my statement was that 'they will make us pay for it", this is nothing new. We have been taking it up the ga ga for years now and even the pro gun politicians seem to be "hold what you got" rather than trying to push them back and regain the rights we have been denied. Obama was even wanting to go after ammo back when he was in the maggot phase of a politician in Illinois. Your third point you use for 'normalcy' does more to prove the potential peril of this issue than anything I can come up with and that is the saddest thing I have had to argue with a friend.

Brother, I am not trying to pee higher on a tree than you and the last thing I want is ill will between gun owners. I hope this is taken as the usual thrust and parry and not a jab at the heart. From what I read of yours on this sight I believe we are friends that just haven't met each other yet...

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    While I can see politicians being paid off to write unconstitutional laws to restrict ammo sales, manufacturing, possession, etc., I don't believe that factories will be bought up to be shut down. If it's legal to make, sell and own, someone will make it if there is money to be made. Prices may fluctuate wildly, but ammo will always be made as long as it's legal.
    Much in the same way as .35 S&W? How about the 'Remington Rimless Line' of .25, .30, .32 and .35? But the supply of .32 rimfire will never dry up because we need it.

I refer you to the introduction to my point of, "they will make us pay". "Aquilla may pump out a short run every year or so" is not the point I was trying to make. It is more the only limit to how much ammo you have should be monetary, and I am not suggesting you have to take out a mortgage.

A show of hands, who here thinks that any disruption of America's ammo supply is just an unfortunate turn of events?

Is it not strangely ironic that in the dystopic 'Road Warrior' movies the problem is not access to guns but to ammo? I didn't know Nostradamus wrote screen plays, he wasn't mentioned in the credits...

Last edited:

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    Much in the same way as .35 S&W? How about the 'Remington Rimless Line' of .25, .30, .32 and .35? But the supply of .32 rimfire will never dry up because we need it.

I refer you to the introduction to my point of, "they will make us pay". "Aquilla may pump out a short run every year or so" is not the point I was trying to make. It is more the only limit to how much ammo you have should be monetary, and I am not suggesting you have to take out a mortgage.

A show of hands, who here thinks that any disruption of America's ammo supply is just an unfortunate turn of events?

Is it not strangely ironic that in the dystopic 'Road Warrior' movies the problem is not access to guns but to ammo? I didn't know Nostradamus wrote screen plays, he wasn't mentioned in the credits...
    I'm talking about ammo supply as a whole. Mass production, not obsolete calibers. Basically the point I was trying to make is that someone will make it if there is money to be made. Free market capitalism will make sure (or at least attempt to) that there is a supply to satisfy demand. There isn't enough profit in making obsolete calibers for a large company to bother with it.
    That being said, it is my firm belief that anyone serious about shooting should have stockpiled enough ammunition (or better yet, more than enough) for the rest of their life. It doesn't eat anything, and it's value will more than keep up with inflation. Of course, now is not the best time to attempt that...

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009

I think what you said about not wanting ill will between gun owners can be applied to ammo manufacturers too. soros didn't buy Remington, Vista Outdoors--the owners of Federal--bought Remington's ammo division. I don't see them in the same light as the british corporate bean-counters that bought S&W and rushed to jump through obama's hoop. I read that they're ramping up production asap. That can't happen instantaneously. Aside from rehiring, they also have a supply chain to restore...amid competition for those supplies from other businesses.
    There is no incentive for ammo manufacturers to create scarcity--that's what OPEC does to keep prices up when demand slumps. Demand is insanely high. Everything they make flys off the retailer's shelves. They're manufacturers in a "seller's market".
    If cartridges become rare or unavailable it's because of not being in demand. .32 RF, .38 S&W? There are more effective options available and a $50 Iver Johnson break-top revolver isn't even particularly "collectible". They won't make what they can't sell.

Yes, the disruption of the ammo supply is because of an unfortunate turn of events; and yes, those events were crisesses that were exploited. But i don't think the ammo supply was the direct target when the left ginned up BLM/antifa riots and worked to extend the economic lockdown to infinity...or beyond the election. That was about "winning" an election and/or destroying the country.

I just don't see how ammo manufacturers are to blame for a supply shortage due to panic buying because of pandemic-lockdowns, nationwide riots, and 7-10 million new gun owners wanting some too

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    The past 2 years I'm shooting fewer matches, but shooting multiple guns at each match. I'll probably run through 6000+ rds of 22lr again this year.

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    One of the latest NRA mags had an article about the Remington ammo plants spinning back up, so that’s some good news. As GIJEW stated, the new owners also have Federal and a couple of other ammo manufacturers, so they don’t appear to be making any money losing plans in the near term, at least.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I 'USED" to shoot 9 & 40 twice a month, now I try and go whenever I get a chance a quarter.
    $20 9mm if you can find it, and $10 a range session......well I would do tjhat monthly if I found the ammo and the time.

Last edited:

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    The Beretta M9-22 is an excellent rimfire replacement for a full-sized 9mm centerfire.
    I ended up picking up an OEM .22lr slide/barrel/magazine kit for the wife's Beretta 92FS...and it's become the kid's favorite .22lr semi-auto!
    With the kid's each getting a Ruger 10/22 for Christmas this past year, .22lr has become our 'go to' caliber for short-range target and plinking out on dad's farm!
    We shoot other calibers, occasionally, but for the most part, have shot .22lr as our primary caliber over the past 18 months.

Alpha06

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2021
    Central IL
    I don't go to the range as much now. Use to be once a month if I was lucky.

Pandemic and cost have definitely deterred going. Mostly firing .22 with a few 9mm, 45ACP, & 38SPL rounds thrown in.

Opie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Evansville
    Only been a handful of times this year and shot less than 1000 rounds combined including a two day class. I would normally be at 5000 by now. If it's not better by next year I see myself selling everything that is not for defensive purposes and dropping the recreational part of it. I can't afford to shoot at current prices.

Top Bottom