• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I love my statistics, I suppose it's the ex-teacher in me.

I was comparing my ammo usage at the range in 2021 & 2020.
    2020 = 3060 rds per month average in the 9 months that I kept records.
    2021 = 1250 rds per month average in 8 months so far.

That's shooting 41% per month of last year's average
    or,
    shooting 59% less per month than last year.
    Ammo costs has everything to do with reduction in non - 22LR ammo usage
    and,
    much to do with reduction in .22LR ammo usage.

I've been using stored ammo & not buying any of the larger calibers doing only function checks.
    I have bought a couple of bricks of 22LR ammo when in the $.08 - $.10 range.

How are you handling your range time with ammo costs being what they are?
    It makes me mad when I see stores offering up 9mm at the bargain price of $25/box ($.50/rd) like they are doing us a favor.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I have basically quit shooting. I have only been to the range twice this year.
    I am still holding out hope that prices will come down and normalize.
    At least it is available, which is a good thing. It's just more than what I am willing to pay right now.

I am well stocked right now, but I don't want to shoot any of it, until I can replace it for what I paid originally or close to it.
    I suspect we will have a permanent price increase, my hope is that it is not unreasonable.
    This roller coaster ride of ammo shortages every time there is a "perceived" panic just about has me ready to be done with gun hobby completely.
    This has been a life long hobby for me, and will be hard to walk away from.
    I have contemplated selling off about half of my collection on gunbroker during the next "panic", which will be the mid-term elections in 2022.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I don't keep track of how much I shoot, but I've sot more this year than the last few. Part of that is because I've replaced a lot of my centerfire shooting with rimfire trainers... although I still need a Glock 44 or conversion for the 17 to get a rimfire handgun trainer.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    At least it is available, which is a good thing. It's just more than what I am willing to pay right now.

I am well stocked right now, but I don't want to shoot any of it, until I can replace it for what I paid originally or close to it.
    I suspect we will have a permanent price increase, my hope is that it is not unreasonable.
    This roller coaster ride of ammo shortages every time there is a "perceived" panic just about has me ready to be done with gun hobby completely.
    I have contemplated selling off about half of my collection on gunbroker during the next "panic", which will be the mid-term elections in 2022.
    Same. I basically don't shoot anymore.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I don't keep track of how much I shoot, but I've sot more this year than the last few. Part of that is because I've replaced a lot of my centerfire shooting with rimfire trainers... although I still need a Glock 44 or conversion for the 17 to get a rimfire handgun trainer.
    The Beretta M9-22 is an excellent rimfire replacement for a full-sized 9mm centerfire.
    Unfortunately, I sold the one I had 2 yrs ago in a "trimming" cycle.

I keep a "liquored up" GSG 1911-22 for a full-size shooting fun gun, & of course, I have a SW 41 that is a nice heavy full size I enjoy.
    I've had the Glock 44, & a Sig 250 DAO & a Sig 226 (I think those were the numbers) that you could use 9mm or 22LR if you had the slide & magazine.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

I'm with you on your logic.
    I have thought about selling off some fine range 9mm I've got during the next panic myself since I don't shoot anything but 22LR 99% of the time b/c of ammo costs.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    Being a outdoor shooter the high heat we have been having has kept me from shooting a lot, when i do go the shooting periods are shorter, when it cools down i will be back to shooting all day several times a week, as to ammo i have always kept my supply well stocked and being i reload for most every thing i shoot helps a lot too. Not really a rimfire shooter though will plink on occasion nut when my younger grandchildren get bit older it will be shot a lot more!!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Been shooting mostly 22lr over the past year. Have a nice stockpile of it 100k rounds so I'm not to worried about dwindling the stockpile down.

Definitely have cut down the amount of other calibers I shoot however
    I have enough 22LR for 6 yrs at my present reduced rate, but as I run lower I'll cut back even more & might get 2-3 more yrs before I'm out.
    Somewhere between now & then, hopefully the prices will be "only" double & not quadruple like now.
    I'll stock up & just continue a reduced rate of shooting.

tude

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    ohio
    The Beretta M9-22 is an excellent rimfire replacement for a full-sized 9mm centerfire.
    Unfortunately, I sold the one I had 2 yrs ago in a "trimming" cycle.

I keep a "liquored up" GSG 1911-22 for a full-size shooting fun gun, & of course, I have a SW 41 that is a nice heavy full size I enjoy.
    I've had the Glock 44, & a Sig 250 DAO & a Sig 226 (I think those were the numbers) that you could use 9mm or 22LR if you had the slide & magazine.
    I bought a Taurus tx22 last spring just because. I love the gun and it satisfies the trigger itch completely.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Being a outdoor shooter the high heat we have been having has kept me from shooting a lot, when i do go the shooting periods are shorter, when it cools down i will be back to shooting all day several times a week, as to ammo i have always kept my supply well stocked and being i reload for most every thing i shoot helps a lot too. Not really a rimfire shooter though will plink on occasion nut when my younger grandchildren get bit older it will be shot a lot more!!
    I know exactly what you mean.
    Last summer I'd go to the outdoor range & shoot 4-5 hrs, but it drained me in the heat. :fogey:
    Last Sunday I went home after about 2 hrs & felt worse that the previous summer. :dunno:
    Heart issues are catching up with me & I am fatiguing easily (I have an excuse for being lazy now :laugh:).
    Hopefully, by next year both the plumbing & electrical issues with the heart will have been dealt with & I'll perk up a bit. :ar15:

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I love my statistics, I suppose it's the ex-teacher in me.

I was comparing my ammo usage at the range in 2021 & 2020.
    2020 = 3060 rds per month average in the 9 months that I kept records.
    2021 = 1250 rds per month average in 8 months so far.

That's shooting 41% per month of last year's average
    or,
    shooting 59% less per month than last year.
    Ammo costs has everything to do with reduction in non - 22LR ammo usage
    and,
    much to do with reduction in .22LR ammo usage.

I've been using stored ammo & not buying any of the larger calibers doing only function checks.
    I have bought a couple of bricks of 22LR ammo when in the $.08 - $.10 range.

How are you handling your range time with ammo costs being what they are?
    It makes me mad when I see stores offering up 9mm at the bargain price of $25/box ($.50/rd) like they are doing us a favor.
    My ammo usage is about cut in half, sadly. Just Friday morning my wife and I went to the range, and shot the Ruger LCP, and the AR. We only put 3 magazines through the LCP, and just 50 rounds through the AR. Normally, it would have been about twice that much, per gun.

I have only been shooting what I can replace, for I don't want to diminish what we have in stock. Really sucks.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I’ve shot handguns once since 2020 started, have shot my rifles 3x (two of those trips were mostly to sight in new optics) . Total ammo consumption less than 300 rounds handgun, less than 500 rifle.

can’t go shoot what I can’t replace. Never used to stockpile much stuff anyway because I reload. Been slowly picking up a box or two whenever I see something with somewhat reasonable prices and free shipping.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2017
    Southern Indiana
    My shooting during all this BS has been mainly testing. One AR optic zero test, tested, M&P Apex trigger job I did, and picked up a G19.5 MOS and tested few mags. Ammo supply is fine just avoiding today's prices to replace it if possible.

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    This. And as sheepdog stated....I reload and have a good quantity of components so the weather is the big drawback right now

Top Bottom