• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    I've carried my .40c for a few years now and still love it. Now, my wife has really gotten into shooting as well and doesn't care for the .40 caliber but does like the gun itself. So I'm looking to buy the 9mm drop in barrel so she can shoot it comfortably too. Anyone have any advice on doing the conversion, pro's or con's, and are there any brands other than S&W itself that I should consider looking at when buying a barrel? For that matter, does anyone have a 9c barrel that they are looking to part with? I know I'll obviously need 9mm mags but are there any other changes that need to be made, or is this something I can just change the barrel out quickly and easily when she wants to go to the range with me? From what I've read on the S&W forums, many claim it is a simple swap with no other parts needed and 1000's of rounds fired with no problems. Same forum, some members state that S&W service dept claims it cannot be done. Thoughts and opinions greatly appriciated, thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    Change the barrel, change your mags. That's all you have to do. It takes less than 30 seconds. I'm using a Storm Lake barrel and have had no complaints with the quality. One of the things I like is the barrel & mag followers on my 40 are black. My 9mm barrel is stainless and the mag followers on the 9mm mags I have are grey. No mixing them up.

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    If this conversion is correct, and the parts are interchangeable, can I purchase a S&W .40c barrel and .40 mags to convert a S&W 9c to a 40c?

I wouldn't go that far. I'm not an expert by any means but I would compare some of the other specs first. Going from a .40 to 9mm would be ok because of beefed up components that can handle the .40 while a weapon that was built as a 9 could be made with components that aren't made to handle the abuse of the .40.

I could be wrong but I would definitely check into it before I would make that move.

__Doc_

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Henry Co
    I waited about 1 month for Midway to get stock M&P9mm barrels in and for 60$ you cant beat it. I changed mine over 2 weeks ago. Dropped right in. My M&P is about a year old. I know there was an issue with 9mm being slightly larger and sometimes you have to file to fit, but I didnt have an issue. It depends on when your slide was manf.

The conversion from 40 to 9 couldn't be easier. No feed/extraction issues.

New barrel and mag = 85$ -- hell of a deal when 9mm is 10$ cheaper per 100rnds than 40S&W

also, I wouldnt go 9 to 40. you could wear the parts out quicker than expected. IIRC youd have to change extractors bc the 40 wont fit in the 9, but the 9 will fit in the 40. but i could be talking out of my ass

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    *UPDATE* Well, finally after being on backorder from Midway USA, my new 9mm barrel arrived today as well as the new mag. Will be putting it thru the paces no later than this weekend.

Top Bottom