• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Well today I took by biweekly visit to my local Meijer store for groceries and other sundry items.
    My first stop was the men's clothing where a new pair of merino wool socks would make their way into my cart.

As I walked into that area I heard a crying baby. Well, I thought, it is Meijer after all.
    I walked by a cart with said baby in a carrier inside the cart and a toddler sitting in the carts 'seat.' No adults in the immediate area. I kept walking but stayed close by. Finally a young 20 something guy walked up and quieted the baby but then walked away again! I was floored! I just stayed close by so no one grabbed the kids. About 5 minutes later a young 20 something lady walked up to the cart and it was obvious that she was a parent since she essentially ignored them to.
    I ask you just what the hell is wrong with people!!!:xmad:

Icemancometh

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2011
    SUNNY SIDE OF THE RIVER
    I had a similar experience at Lowes this morning. When we are parking the car I notice a young boy, 7 or 8, walking dangerously close to our car. My wife stops the car and asks me where the boy came from. I look up and see 2 guys walking about 20 yards in front of the boy, not paying a lick of attention to his whereabouts. One of the guys eventually figures out that jr. is not with them any longer, turns and motions for the boy.

While in the store we noticed 2 young children, approx. 3 and 5 wandering aimlessly. Ended up they were with thier dad, he was just too busy on his phone too pay attention.

As to the question of "what is wrong with people?", I wish I knew. Young adult parents seem irresponsible to me. They are too wrapped up in Twitter, Facebook, Instagram etc.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    ^^This. That's the way many of us were raised. Our parents didn't come running for every little yodel or cry and weren't afraid to walk away and leave us alone for a few minutes. We survived.

We were to be seen yet not heard......literally.

I tend to dote over my grand kids and they know it.

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    ^^This. That's the way many of us were raised. Our parents didn't come running for every little yodel or cry and weren't afraid to walk away and leave us alone for a few minutes. We survived.
    Well..YOU survived.. anyone who didn't won't be here to say otherwise. All the Facebook posts I see about "when we were young we rode in the back of a pickup (or we didn't check in with our parents or we didn't wear bike helmets) and we're still here" make me laugh. You never see "i fell out of a truck and died" posted on facebook.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    There's a big difference between helicopter parenting and appropriate supervision.

True story: I worked at the Information Booth of our local mall in college. One night a woman came up and said her three kids were missing, and she asked if I would page them. She had told them to wait at the Sears entrance while she shopped, and now they were not there.

I asked how hold they were, and she said 3, 4, and 5. :faint: Not five seconds later, I got a call from Sears about three kids who were wreaking havoc in the store, pulling clothing off the racks.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Sometimes I wonder how some kids survive the lack of supervision they endure.

At the age of 5 I wondered the small town we lived in at the time, from one end to the other without problem or fear. Of course the backside had some issues when I returned from this walkabout. At 9 we explored quite a bit of Ft Benning GA without issue. At 11-13 Frankfurt Germany was our playground. You could ride the "Strasse" for hours! School buses were for kids that lived outside of town or distances greater than 2 miles.

Nowadays they arrest parents for [STRIKE]allowing[/STRIKE] forcing their kids to walk to the playground two lots over.:(

edit: We weren't allowed to ride in the back of pickups because you could fall out and die.:laugh:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    At the age of 5 I wondered the small town we lived in at the time, from one end to the other without problem or fear. Of course the backside had some issues when I returned from this walkabout. At 9 we explored quite a bit of Ft Benning GA without issue. At 11-13 Frankfurt Germany was our playground. You could ride the "Strasse" for hours! School buses were for kids that lived outside of town or distances greater than 2 miles.

Nowadays they arrest parents for [STRIKE]allowing[/STRIKE] forcing their kids to walk to the playground two lots over.:(

edit: We weren't allowed to ride in the back of pickups because you could fall out and die.:laugh:

Exploration was a serious part of growing up. We always stretched our set boundary's. That is where the fun stuff was.....:)

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Exploration was a serious part of growing up. We always stretched our set boundary's. That is where the fun stuff was.....:)

Us too. Just be home by the time the street lights came on. Oh, and stay away from that busy highway. (That was our western boundary. :D )

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Us too. Just be home by the time the street lights came on. Oh, and stay away from that busy highway. (That was our western boundary. :D )

If we went farther out than my dad could retrieve us with a whistle or past the street light s coming on it was unpleasant for us.
    If we asked nicely we could stay out on the street behind us and play hide and seek.

Top Bottom