• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • saintnick81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Bedford
    I thought I had my crossbow purchase all figured out but my budget is not as high as I was hoping. Looking to spend in the $300-350 range. Was looking hard at the pse fang 350xt but those got recalled this week. Not looking for anything real fancy. Just something to deer hunt with effectively and to see if its something I like. Here is my current list.

Centerpoint Sniper 370
    Barnett Game Crusher 3.0- Dick's exclusive? Seems to be the same as the raptor?
    Barnett Recruit Terrain

Any experience with any of these or advice on others to be looking at is appreciated. Trying to extend my deer season beyond shotgun.

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    120   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    My dad just got the Centerpoint, and is very happy with it. I don't know many details - sorry. He replaced an old Barnett, and raves about the Centerpoint, is all I know. He and a buddy of his each got one and have been shooting them some. Seem to hold great groups.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I have the sniper 370. You will be happy with it. Decked out from the factory and for the money its great. Practicing a few weeks ago and split 2 bolts at 25 yards on consecutive shots. Great bow right out the box. I couldn't be happier. Ive shot roughly 100 bolts thru since buying before deer season last year with zero issues. Also nice that has adjustable handguard and stock and the stock can be swapped out with any ar milspec stock too. Go for it! Great crossbow!

glank09

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Corunna
    I also have the sniper 370. I was shooting apples on my apple tree a couple of weeks ago from 45 yards. It is far more accurate than I am. The scope that comes on it has mixed reviews but I have no problems with it.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I also have the sniper 370. I was shooting apples on my apple tree a couple of weeks ago from 45 yards. It is far more accurate than I am. The scope that comes on it has mixed reviews but I have no problems with it.

Ive also had zero issues with the scope, just to clarify on that issue. With this crossbow all you need to do is buy some broadheads and a soft/hard case for transport.

USA#1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    In the forest
    We purchased a Parker Challenger this year and really like it so far. It is a little bit more money, but Parker has a lifetime warranty for the original purchaser and has a reputation for great customer service.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have a Barnett Quad 400.
    It is not the most expensive bow out there, nor is it the lightest, or even the quietest.
    Still, at 345fps, it works for me.

First outing with it I took 2 button bucks with one arrow.
    That bolt traveled straight through both deer and went another 45 yards before it buried a good 1/4" of that broad-head into a tree.
    Granted, I was a mere 25 feet from the first deer, but I'll never forget the sound of that bolt smacking meat.

I'll have it out again this year.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    You might take a look at the Wicked Ridge Warrior G3. Dicks has it marked down for 374.00 for the package plus another 25.00 mail in rebate. They are made by Ten Point which is considered one of the top brands in the crossbow game. Its kinda like the mission line of bows to the Matthews brand.

My dad bought one for this season and it was a dream to sight in. We had it done in about 6 shots.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/...ope-1610pusmwrrrg3xxxabw/1610pusmwrrrg3xxxabw

saintnick81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Bedford
    Ended up going with the Centerpoint Sniper 370. Seems to be the best bang for the buck in the budget category. Probably won't get to go out and shoot it till sometime next week. As long as its sighted in by October 1st I guess i'm good.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    You might take a look at the Wicked Ridge Warrior G3. Dicks has it marked down for 374.00 for the package plus another 25.00 mail in rebate. They are made by Ten Point which is considered one of the top brands in the crossbow game. Its kinda like the mission line of bows to the Matthews brand.

My dad bought one for this season and it was a dream to sight in. We had it done in about 6 shots.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/...ope-1610pusmwrrrg3xxxabw/1610pusmwrrrg3xxxabw
    ^^^^
    THS

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    With crossbows, like nearly anything else, you get what you pay for. If you spend $300 on one, you`re likely bound for heartache. I know if money is an issue, it just is, and there`s nothing you can do, but...if you can go higher, you could get a Wicked Ridge Invader for around $450 on Amazon. Wicked Ridge is a subsidiary of Ten Point, and are considered to be the very best crossbows for the money. I have an Invader HP I bought in 2104, and absolutely love it. The current model is the Invader G3, and it`s rated 20 FPS faster than My HP model, at 330 FPS. I believe it`s the best deal out there for a very good crossbow.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    For you crossbowers and other archers..

3 arrows with 3 Rage 2 blade broadheads and 3 field points..

$14.99 after the manufacturer's rebate of $20.

Moon and Omni nocks included..

https://www.ruralking.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=rage+lethal

I am sold on the NAP Spitfire. When I shot a compound bow, I used only Muzzy fixed blades, but the crossbows are so much faster, there can be tuning issues, and I was loath to use a mechanical. But I researched as best I could, and decided the NAP Spitfire was the most reliable mechanical out there. First ever deer I took with a crossbow was a very nice doe I hit at 20 years broadside. I got a clean passthru and I had the spot she was standing at the shot marked. When I got down out of the tree shortly after shooting her, I easily found the bolt, and hair where she had been standing, but no blood. I saw where she entered the tree line, so it was no problem, I knew where to begin looking, but I walked the way she had towards the trees. For the first 8 yards or so, there was no blood, but after 8 yards, it wasn`t a matter of finding blood, it was a matter of trying to not walk in it. She was piled up 20 yards inside the tree line. Everything I found when researching, the Spitfire had nearly zero reports of failures that I could find, compared to a lot of failures for all the others.

I`m picky about my hunting gear, and fiercely loyal when I find something that works. With my compound, I shot an AR34 with 100 grain 3-blade Muzzy`s. With my crossbow, it`s my Wicked Ridge Invader HP and 100 grain NAP crossbow Spitfires.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Agreed gregr..

My got to broadhead is the NAP Spitfire. I'll play with these but probably wont hunt with them. The arrows alone are worth much more that what I paid.

saintnick81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Bedford
    Finally got it sighted in. Was hitting quarter sized dots on my target with my hunting arrows at 30 yards so i'm pretty pleased. Learned a few shots in that I can't use the same dot for more than one shot as I robinhooded one. looooong trigger pull but other than that no complaints so far.

Terry4570

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    N.A. IN.
    Here is a good place to get crossbow everything and if you need help with something call them and they will help you out and will return your call . WWW.WYVERNCREATIONS.COM This is where I got my Excalibur 355 matrix package and it is deadly as long as you get your yardage right , I don't shoot at the same spot on the target .:yesway:

Top Bottom