• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Are any of you aware of reasons that the CRKT M21-04 would not be a good choice for an EDC? Uses will be: misc. light duty, last-line defense, and "SHTF while away from home".

I don't like sharpening knives & it sounds like this one can hold a good edge. I know it's bigger than what some of you like...but keep in mind I'm a big guy who CC's an XDm every day in an IWB-tuckable. I'd be fine EDC'ing a 6" folder with a 5" blade if it were the right tool for the job.

Folding Knives - M21 Series - CRKT

Also, are there any comparably priced/sized non-serrated knives you would recommend instead? I know about the Spydercos, but I don't like the form factor. I'm also not interested in tanto blades...the corner would be dull very quickly the way I use them.

P.S.: I've searched, but I haven't been able to find a similar thread that offered much discussion which didn't center on the CRKT M16 or a Spyderco, so I thought this thread might be helpful for others.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I'm not huge fan of CRKT but it's more aesthetics and ergonomics for me, they make a decent knife at a decent price:twocents: then you want other options in a sub $100 folder that will hold a edge other than spyderco?

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    you want other options in a sub $100 folder that will hold a edge other than spyderco?

Yes. Surely there are more companies in the game than CKRT & Spyderco...

The biggest problem I've had is that none of the manufacturer sites have GOOD search functions for their catalogs, so it's quite difficult to find a non-tanto folder with a non-serrated blade about 4" long that's also made of decent steel and is sturdy enough for self-defense & ergonomic enough for EDC which also comes with a pocket clip. I'm hoping that someone has some suggestions in the front of their mind.

TBH, I can't even find the 4" Spyderco folders on their website. 28 pages of knives with none of the stats listed in the short descriptions is a pretty stupid layout for a website. :: Spyderco Catalog ::

bigkahunasix

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Yes. Surely there are more companies in the game than CKRT & Spyderco...

The biggest problem I've had is that none of the manufacturer sites have GOOD search functions for their catalogs, so it's quite difficult to find a non-tanto folder with a non-serrated blade about 4" long that's also made of decent steel and is sturdy enough for self-defense & ergonomic enough for EDC which also comes with a pocket clip. I'm hoping that someone has some suggestions in the front of their mind.

TBH, I can't even find the 4" Spyderco folders on their website. 28 pages of knives with none of the stats listed in the short descriptions is a pretty stupid layout for a website. :: Spyderco Catalog ::

If you cannot find a knife with those pre-requisites on Spydercos website, you either aren't trying or are blind. Hint- see something you like- click the freakin' picture and full stats appear, like a miracle.

That being said, do not waste time and money with CRKT, they are ok for low end knives but their steel selection in their main selling line is whoafully inadequate and their overall quality is mediochre at best. (yeah, you lifelong cheapskates I have my flameproof undroos on. so go ahead.)

If you are buying something for even a remote possibility of SD then remember, you may have to bet your life on that tool. Is your life only worth a CRKT or would you like to step up to a Spyder, Kershaw, Buck, Al Mar, Lone Wolf, etc.. in a higher quality steel and better construction???? All of these mfr's make quality knives in the $40 to $75 range with outstanding warranties.

MattCFII

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Danville
    I really like my CRKT double Carson flipper knives, M16-14ZSF and M21-14DSFG, esepcially the later. Unfortunately it seems I lost my M21 this weekend. I got a new pair of pants and I noticed that the material was a little thinner or slicker than normal and it was moving out of place some more than normal. I then realized later in the day the knife was gone :( Hehe if anybody finds one in the Greenwood/ Southport area it is probably mine! This is not the first pocket knife I've lost but it has been at least 9 years or so since that's when I switched from my stolen/lost Cold Steel Voyager to CRKT. It makes me glad I don't buy custom folders to loose!

They are liner locks which I don't fully trust, but with the AutoLawks system I feel really safe with them, even safer than a regular lockback. I still feel there are a few instances where I could shift grip unlock the normal lockback and maybe the same with an axis lock, but that's just my guess since I don't have much experience with them. With the Autolawks there is practically no way I could hit the little lock lever and then move the linerlock. Also, I can quite easily close it one handed ambidextrously after I'm done. It basically takes a liner lock and kinda adds an axis lock for extra safety so that you aren't depending on one system to keep you from slicing fingers off. I stopped EDCing my first generation M16-03 because it's liner lock but feel 99.9% sure with these, which is as much as I can with a folder.

They have moveable clips. In tip up carry, I can use the extra Carson flipper to open the knife Spyderco wave style. I've just started carrying tip up, blade forward, handle back with it clipped to the front of my pocket within the M21. I can pull this into a reverse grip, either blade in or out depending if I roll the knife in the draw or not. If I miss the "wave" completely I have the other flipper there to depoly the knife (albeit with my pinky which I'm not sure how gross motor that would be) or if it partially waved opened I can inertia it the rest of the way. Then as CRKT likes to point out, you do have a full hilt when it is opened.

Honestly, the zytel of the M16-14ZSF and Aluminum of my old M16-03 is too smooth. Plus the -14ZSF only has AUS 4 steel, and I don't prefer tantos. But I'm glad I found it to turn me onto their dual flipper concept. I just like the G10 scaled M21-14DSFG with it's "better" steel and spear point. They have 3.875" long blades, a good medium length in my book and still legally carry them in places outside of Indiana that limit folders to under 4".

Note that I'm not a steel geek and I also know that steel is very subjective. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it bigkahunasix. But as I understand it you can use "cheap" steel and heat treat it properly and it will be better than some of the "best" steel out there if was not heat treated the right way. I don't abuse my knives but I know of a lot of people that had their CRKT stand up to the abuse, especially a Marine combat vet that used his in the sandbox and swears by CRKT. What exactly in your experience has show n that CRKT's stuff doesn't cut it? I've found that while it doesn't hold a light to a custom folder the quality is just fine for what I need, small time cutting chores and last ditch self-defense.

Last edited:

emrock32

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    FW IN
    I will always value CRKT with my life now. I used one to stab a attacker and it went in decently quick with short movement. It stayed sharp for the week that I had it lol. It was the Stiff Kiss Survival knife and I plan to buy another one as well as order a custom knife from Cubby here on the forum. Ive only had 2 CRKT knives but both are top in my book. Others that ive owned would be Gerber, S&W, and a Ka-bar knife but that isn't used for my personal protection on the street haha

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    [/b]If you cannot find a knife with those pre-requisites on Spydercos website, you either aren't trying or are blind. Hint- see something you like- click the freakin' picture and full stats appear, like a miracle.

I'm sorry, I'm not judging based solely upon looks. Clicking on 280 links across 28 pages just to see whether it's a 3" or 4" blade, D2/M2/A2/AUS-8 Steel, liner/axis lock, etc. is a very time consuming way to shop.

Thank you to everyone else. I've looked at some of the other companies you've suggested & I've found some candidates. I'll post my final thoughts after I do some more research. I'm really liking the idea of buying D2 tool steel. I know first-hand that it's a great steel, though I didn't realize people made knives with it.

Top Bottom