• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Some people are baggin on you for not hitting a raccon amongst cats in the dark and while potentially moving. I understand and appreciate that it's a difficult shot. I also think that's why you're getting mixed feedback -- since switching calibers won't improve your odds that much. You could try some traps, perhaps with a tree/bucket set to avoid the cats. you could get a setup for 4-5 traps and reuse them multiple times, then stick to your 22 LR rifle only as needed.

also, in regard to your question above:
    Only since you said that the 22 LR might not be enough, I'm not sure if the 17 HM2 would be either.
    If you had asked me out of the blue, I would have said that a regular 22 LR should be sufficient, as is the 17 HM2. I would think that the HM2 is enough... BUT it seems like it's always harder to find the ammo, and you don't get much improvement over a regular 22 LR.
    The 17 HMR is a different story, as is the 22 Mag. THese are more than enough, and I still see ammo for them around town a bit. Also, a 222 or 223 with a good varmint round will fragment on impact. But these will be noticeably louder, so it may not fit your parameters.
    happy hunting!

Yep, it is a more difficult shot that you would think. The way the front door is, it swings toward the cat house and any varmint on top is on the run before I can get all the way out the door, get the door closed behind me so the inside pets don't get out in the line of fire, raise the rifle and line up the dot, all while 6-10 cats are flying all over the place. The distance to the corner of the house is about 10 feet, after that I have to give chase.

In the picture I'm standing in front of the door, the bedroom window is right above it. A 223 at 3am would not go over well with the other half.

I'll probably look for one of those single shot 357/38's. I can cast very soft HP rounds and download them to be quiet. If I can't find one of those then I'll probably go the 22 mag way. I would like to have a Kel-tec 9mm rifle that takes the Glock 19 mags, good luck at finding one.:rolleyes:

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Possums take a while to figure out that they're dead.

Maybe a couple tips... live trap + headshot = easy, you will probably have to "teach" the cats that they don't want the bait. Also, feed the cats at a set time each day when you can be there to keep the critters away and then don't leave extra food out to attract the pests.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Live trap, release the cats, shoot the other critters with a .22 revolver...no muss, no fuss. When we moved into this house, I had a raccoon and feral cat problem. Hitting them with a .22 rifle was hard, especially in low light situations, or when the dogs were outside. Got a live trap from Rural King, came with a large and small trap. Things calmed down real quick after that.

If that isn't right, try a .32S&W revolver. 95 gr lead round nose bullet, small handgun, low noise, hits harder than a .22lr. If you get a .32 H&R magnum revolver, you can shoot the .32S&W and the .32 S&W long in it, also. Taurus has had some for not much money, and Charter Arms makes one too. Old Rugers are available, but kinda pricey.

LionWeight

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 17, 2011
    Merrillville
    Do the subsonic 22 rounds and you won't even wake the kids, let alone the neighbors. I have dispatched groundhogs with them so they are powerful enough, and quieter than my grandsons burps.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Yep, it is a more difficult shot that you would think. The way the front door is, it swings toward the cat house and any varmint on top is on the run before I can get all the way out the door, get the door closed behind me so the inside pets don't get out in the line of fire, raise the rifle and line up the dot, all while 6-10 cats are flying all over the place. The distance to the corner of the house is about 10 feet, after that I have to give chase.

In the picture I'm standing in front of the door, the bedroom window is right above it. A 223 at 3am would not go over well with the other half.

I'll probably look for one of those single shot 357/38's. I can cast very soft HP rounds and download them to be quiet. If I can't find one of those then I'll probably go the 22 mag way. I would like to have a Kel-tec 9mm rifle that takes the Glock 19 mags, good luck at finding one.:rolleyes:

Silly question, have you tried a scope from the bedroom window? It would be shot from indoors and trap the sound, but more importantly, you can open the window without spooking the prey and probably get steady (especially with a rest or bipod) head shots using your basic 10/22.

I'd also get a suppressor.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    PLEASE realize that the 17 HMR (based on 22 Mag) is different than the 17 HM2 (based on 22 LR). you will want the 17 HMR!!!
    Unless you have a 10/22 Magnum (not nearly as common), you will run into trouble with just a drop-in barrel change, since the case size is different between the 17 HMR and 17 HM2. Action, magazine, etc. are all different.

Semi auto switch to 17 hm2 can be tricky. If you decide to do it, use the shortest bbl you can get away with and it helps to add weight to the bolt. A magnum recoil spring and a heavieerr bolt handle have also done the trick in some cases. Watch carefully for split and bulged cases and keep headspace to a minimum. Keeping the chamber clean is a must.

As for being powerfull enough, well, the last two squirrels I shot last year you could see through their heads and a thumb stuck in the wound had room to move around. The Eley had a little more velocity than the hornady or cci ammo. I've not seen any new Eley for a while tho'.:twocents:

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Silly question, have you tried a scope from the bedroom window? It would be shot from indoors and trap the sound, but more importantly, you can open the window without spooking the prey and probably get steady (especially with a rest or bipod) head shots using your basic 10/22.

I'd also get a suppressor.

This isn't really possible the way things are layed out. I'd be shooting down into the roof of the house.

I think I'll just hold out and either get one of those new Taurus Revolver Rifles in 357 or a lever action 357. I'll cast some soft HP's and download them some to keep penetration down. I'll have to see what I can find at the next 1500.
    I've scrapped the idea of converting the 10/22. LGS had a single shot Rossi youth stainless in 410 for $229 I think. Thought about that too. I hate to start up with another caliber though. I've just about got everything consolidated to a few standard calibers now. I can cast and reload for everything I have.

Thanks for all the thoughts everyone. It's been a unique problem.

Enkrypter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    New Palestine, IN
    If you need to do it silently...

Pre-Packaged Benjamin Marauder Air Rifle Deals at PyramydAir.com

The Benji Marauder is pricey, but I absolutely LOVE mine. If you want to know about stopping power and accuracy, just watch this...
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUEwxg32s6Y[/ame]

Best of all it's a air rifle, so it's not a regulated firearm and no one is currently trying to rip it out of your cold dead hands...

Otherwise, I've since abandoned most all my .22's in favor of the .17HMR. Ammo is a little more pricey compared to cheap .22LR, but @ $11.00-12.00/50rnds, it's still affordable. The round is badass and will destroy all varmints up to coyote size.

I don't like CB 22's or subsonics. .22's can squib in the barrel if you get a bad round. The air rifle is even quieter than most subsonic rounds i've used. I can't say enough good things about the Marauder.

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    My Dad live traps critters, then throws the trap, rope attached, into the pond....pulls the trap out the next morning. This has been his retirement hobby.

I was at their place a couple of weeks ago and dispatched an opossum with a Stinger from my M&P 22 pistol. First shot was going to be fatal eventually.....but I pumped another one in there and that did it....and a third because, heck, it's an opposum.

inlineman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    9mm Hi=point carbine would be an excellent option for the close quarters of the door especially.I always thought they was junk till I owned one. Plus the lifetime warranty and there customer service is second to none.

mattritchie238

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    I can attest to the silence of the Aguila sub sonics previously mentioned. My dad shot a groundhog out of a bedroom window and I heard nothing from 2 rooms over with doors open. Being a 60 grain, it still packs plenty of punch too, IMO.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    Do you have a different door to go out? You can come at them from where you know they will run to. Not as quick but more efficient. Will also give you a chance to work on your stalking and sniping skills.

I can't help but think any other caliber is going to be worse on over penetration.

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010

22LR all the way. I had a big raccoon problem in michigan and I would use my marlin 22 LR scoped and hold a maglight under the stock in my left hand at the same time as holding the stock. In pitch black middle of the night I could light up the critter enough to spot him through the scope and bang. One shot with the 22LR and they were dead every time.

The only good raccoon is a dead raccoon. Filthy overpopulated disease ridden varmints.

Jesco White

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Yes, I realize this is a silly problem, but it's a problem none the less.

I'm looking for advice on a good critter rifle. We've got a farm and there are lots of opossums and raccoons that come up to the house. On our front porch is a cat house for the barn cats to live in. It's got a slanted roof that we spread cat food on. This is about 6 feet from our front door but the door opens toward the cat house.

The problem is the critters get onto the cat house and eat the cat food and fight/kill our cats. I've got a 10/22 with stingers and a red dot that I lay into them with when I can. The stinger isn't enough of a round to kill them before they get into the mess of fleeing cats from the sound of the first shot. The cats are scattered about so I can't just let loose at the critter without hitting the cats. Sometimes the cats are on the top of the house with the critter so I need to be able to hit the critter without blowing through it and the top of the house or any of the cats.

I'm looking to put the critters down in one shot so they don't run too far and attack the cats in the process. (Lost one that way recently) I'm also not wanting to wake everyone in the neighborhood at 3am when this usually happens. A 223 tap would do the job I'm sure but I don't need the sheriff out here 3 times a week. Also I don't want to spend $500 on a gun whose max shooting range will be 20 feet.

Nothing I have is appropriate for this purpose. Any ideas?

Put the cat food where only the cats can get it, or feed the cats at a regular time. Leaving food out in the open is a bad idea. Its a much cheaper solution to your problem. Barring that, any .22 will work.

Top Bottom