• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Yes, I realize this is a silly problem, but it's a problem none the less.

I'm looking for advice on a good critter rifle. We've got a farm and there are lots of opossums and raccoons that come up to the house. On our front porch is a cat house for the barn cats to live in. It's got a slanted roof that we spread cat food on. This is about 6 feet from our front door but the door opens toward the cat house.

The problem is the critters get onto the cat house and eat the cat food and fight/kill our cats. I've got a 10/22 with stingers and a red dot that I lay into them with when I can. The stinger isn't enough of a round to kill them before they get into the mess of fleeing cats from the sound of the first shot. The cats are scattered about so I can't just let loose at the critter without hitting the cats. Sometimes the cats are on the top of the house with the critter so I need to be able to hit the critter without blowing through it and the top of the house or any of the cats.

I'm looking to put the critters down in one shot so they don't run too far and attack the cats in the process. (Lost one that way recently) I'm also not wanting to wake everyone in the neighborhood at 3am when this usually happens. A 223 tap would do the job I'm sure but I don't need the sheriff out here 3 times a week. Also I don't want to spend $500 on a gun whose max shooting range will be 20 feet.

Nothing I have is appropriate for this purpose. Any ideas?

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I thought about the 22mag but wasn't sure the round would stay in and not blow through the critter.

I would love to have a 38/357 lever action. I cast and reload so I could make custom soft lead hp at reduced velocity. I just can't justify the cost of it for this. Also, if the critters run they head right around the corner where there is no light at all. It would be tough to get a propper sight picture in the underbrush beside the house with a lever action.

One of my friends thought a 9mm Hipoint rifle would work well. I shudder at the thought of spending money on that.

CQB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 4, 2012
    Central North Forty
    .17hmr. Critters go BOOM!
    Also, it's one of the few rounds are are still readily available.
    Savage makes probably 15 different models for this caliber under $350.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I question why you would house and feed feral cats right outside the main living quarters and then be surprised when wild creatures come to eat the cat food.

don't you feel even a little guilty for killing raccoons that come to the bait.? But if you're going to kill them, a 22 long rifle is more than sufficient if you know where to place the bullet.

are you at least planning to eat the raccoons?

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    You're having trouble dropping a "critter" at 20 ft. using a .22 LR?

38 special revolver with some 148gr wadcutters.

The problem with the 22 isn't that I can't hit them or they don't die, It's that they run when hit and are usually in the middle of the cats. We've lost cats before because the opossums have taken a hit and attacked whatever was closest as they took off. They always come from the same direction which is around the corner of the house through some light underbrush.

With the 38 revolver, if for some reason the first hit wasn't clean due to other cats in the way, it would be tough to get a hit on a fleeing critter as it weaves through the clowder of cats.

This all happens within 6 feet of the front door on the porch. The door opens toward the cat house so I have to go all the way out and clear the door before I take any shot at all. By that time most of the critters in the past have went into panic mode and took off down the back of the house toward the brush. I don't get to take many stationary shots, most are at a fleeing critter.

I'm thinking the .17 might be a way to go. I could get a barrel for the 10/22 to drop in and try. I know the 410 would work great but don't have any idea what kind of spread it would have in a 'close to cat" shot was needed.

This is how it looks, now stick a wounded critter in the middle in panic mode.
    picture.php

picture.php

And no, getting rid of the cats as well is not an option. They keep us rodent free and are friendly.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I question why you would house and feed feral cats right outside the main living quarters and then be surprised when wild creatures come to eat the cat food.

don't you feel even a little guilty for killing raccoons that come to the bait.? But if you're going to kill them, a 22 long rifle is more than sufficient if you know where to place the bullet.

are you at least planning to eat the raccoons?

We also have chickens on the farm so the critters are going to come no matter where we feed the cats. All the cats are friendly and keep us rodent free.

No I don't feel guilty about killing a nuisance critter that kills our pets and chickens and can spread disease to them. There are also many coyotes in the area as well. They don't come to the yard much but when they do get too close they get dispatched as well.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    We also have chickens on the farm so the critters are going to come no matter where we feed the cats. All the cats are friendly and keep us rodent free.

No I don't feel guilty about killing a nuisance critter that kills our pets and chickens and can spread disease to them. There are also many coyotes in the area as well. They don't come to the yard much but when they do get too close they get dispatched as well.

.22 lr subsonic h/p. and work on your aim. In the ear works.

It won't matter if you lose a few cats tho. They'll make more.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    The problem with the 22 isn't that I can't hit them or they don't die, It's that they run when hit and are usually in the middle of the cats. We've lost cats before because the opossums have taken a hit and attacked whatever was closest as they took off. They always come from the same direction which is around the corner of the house through some light underbrush.

With the 38 revolver, if for some reason the first hit wasn't clean due to other cats in the way, it would be tough to get a hit on a fleeing critter as it weaves through the clowder of cats.

This all happens within 6 feet of the front door on the porch. The door opens toward the cat house so I have to go all the way out and clear the door before I take any shot at all. By that time most of the critters in the past have went into panic mode and took off down the back of the house toward the brush. I don't get to take many stationary shots, most are at a fleeing critter.

I'm thinking the .17 might be a way to go. I could get a barrel for the 10/22 to drop in and try. I know the 410 would work great but don't have any idea what kind of spread it would have in a 'close to cat" shot was needed.

And no, getting rid of the cats as well is not an option. They keep us rodent free and are friendly.

Ok, I have some experience with possums, they are pretty tough to kill. Much more so than racoons or even groundhogs. I've had some issues with possums taking a liking to cat food and had to dispatch them. I've found that 9mm HPs work well in the head or other vital parts. Possum are typically large enough to make a good target.

As far as cats... Well they can get lost in the crossfire. The good news is that they are pretty prolific. If you accidentally kill one, there will be 2 or 3 to take its place.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I would suggest trying the Aguila subsonic sniper .22LR it is loaded with a 60gr solid lead bullet. Or maybe the H&R single shot .357 rifle shooting 38 spl. Both should be pretty quite.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby

This is how it looks, now stick a wounded critter in the middle in panic mode.
    picture.php

picture.php

PLEASE realize that the 17 HMR (based on 22 Mag) is different than the 17 HM2 (based on 22 LR). you will want the 17 HMR!!!
    Unless you have a 10/22 Magnum (not nearly as common), you will run into trouble with just a drop-in barrel change, since the case size is different between the 17 HMR and 17 HM2. Action, magazine, etc. are all different.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    PLEASE realize that the 17 HMR (based on 22 Mag) is different than the 17 HM2 (based on 22 LR). you will want the 17 HMR!!!
    Unless you have a 10/22 Magnum (not nearly as common), you will run into trouble with just a drop-in barrel change, since the case size is different between the 17 HMR and 17 HM2. Action, magazine, etc. are all different.

Thanks, I remember they were different. I was hoping to find a drop in HM2 for my 22LR. You don't think it will be enough? I wish I could find a Ruger 10/22 Mag. Haven't seen one for sale in quite some time.

I wish I had the time and 22LR ammo to become good enough to take an ear shot at a running/climbing target in the dark, through brush, as it weaves in and out of no shoot targets. It's kind of hard to get practice at moving targets when you don't have moving targets to shoot at most of the time.

Thanks about the tip on the H&R single shot. I didn't realize they made those anymore. I'll have to look into that.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Some people are baggin on you for not hitting a raccon amongst cats in the dark and while potentially moving. I understand and appreciate that it's a difficult shot. I also think that's why you're getting mixed feedback -- since switching calibers won't improve your odds that much. You could try some traps, perhaps with a tree/bucket set to avoid the cats. you could get a setup for 4-5 traps and reuse them multiple times, then stick to your 22 LR rifle only as needed.

also, in regard to your question above:
    Only since you said that the 22 LR might not be enough, I'm not sure if the 17 HM2 would be either.
    If you had asked me out of the blue, I would have said that a regular 22 LR should be sufficient, as is the 17 HM2. I would think that the HM2 is enough... BUT it seems like it's always harder to find the ammo, and you don't get much improvement over a regular 22 LR.
    The 17 HMR is a different story, as is the 22 Mag. THese are more than enough, and I still see ammo for them around town a bit. Also, a 222 or 223 with a good varmint round will fragment on impact. But these will be noticeably louder, so it may not fit your parameters.
    happy hunting!

Top Bottom