cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    :noway:

The FOUR RULES work. All you have to do is follow them.

NOT overthink them into something they are aren't, with a bunch if silly semantics.

Baldwin killed a one person and wounded another because assuming the gun was unloaded gave him permission to break the remainder of the 4 rules. I offer this:

And this:

I’m not overthinking anything. I’m simplifying things by doing away with Cooper’s Rule #1. That’s where the silly semantics are.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Baldwin killed a one person and wounded another because assuming the gun was unloaded gave him permission to break the remainder of the 4 rules.

That's ridiculous. Rule # 1...

... I’m simplifying things by doing away with Cooper’s Rule #1. That’s where the silly semantics are.

Any reputable trainer will quote you the Four Rules of Fireams safety. I'll spare you the dozens and dozens of videos to prove something you apparently refuse to hear. :scratch:

Last edited:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Well... hopefully the slug removed from the director isn't missing as well.

Alec Baldwin ‘Rust’ shooting: Police 'not exactly sure' of actor’s 'whereabouts'

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Baldwin killed a one person and wounded another because assuming the gun was unloaded gave him permission to break the remainder of the 4 rules. I offer this:

And this:

I’m not overthinking anything. I’m simplifying things by doing away with Cooper’s Rule #1. That’s where the silly semantics are.
    It does seem simple

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    It sounds like a simple thing to learn the four rules of gun handling. However, in my lifetime I have witnessed the disconnect between teaching and learning. Teaching is the instructors job. Learning is the students job. There are many good firearms instructors available but all will tell you it takes follow up with the student to test the amount of learning that's been done. Many will not ever put into practice the things they covered in the course on a daily basis. When discovering how much effort, work and commitment there is to earning a better skill set in gunhandling many just will not follow through. This of course is on the student. Ray Chapman taught me to not be afraid of testing the skill set. He had very little patience for those not committed to learning. I, on the other hand, take it a few steps further. All of my students are encouraged to come back to the range for free on going training modules. Now I know, financially, that many trainers and students are "a one and done" program. My Alumini on the other hand end up continuing the education and practice with me often and usually join a conservation club where they can shoot a lot for a small yearly membership. It is a win win as I get extra help and fun in setting up stages and I get the monitor the progress of the student which by now becomes a friend to shoot with. I can tell in follow up visits each time how much the student has "learned" and to put into practice. This process takes a few months to accomplish but I have had a 100 percent success rate in a measurable skill set. You will not see me teach the four rules by mishandling suedo guns. I know how people can try to differentiate between a safe firearm and a hot one. Henceforth the kneejerk response from Richard Cranium, "but it aint loaded". To me, there is no difference in gunhandling with a toy, blue gun, prop gun, staple gun or anything else that represents a gun. I do not even point my finger at someone unless I want to intimidate them. So, in this cancel culture, no accountability, and lets make everything easy peasy world, it is no wonder why these accidents happen. Take a BMV driving test today and odds are you will not be required to parallel park. Why, it's to hard for Danny Darwin to do it. Furthermore, the instructor probably can't do it himself. In a world where instant gratification is demanded, there is no replacement for people committing to do the right thing and put in the work needed to keep from killing each other accidently. Both instructor and student.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

And this:

Sigh. The silly semantics come into play when people want to argue about what "All guns are loaded" might mean for how you treat and handle the weapon

Copper's Rule #1 affects how you treat the gun before it is even in your hands, and rightfully precedes #2, which cautions about muzzle discipline.

Last edited:

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Every time I do start paperwork for another show the pile is several pages thicker than the last time which was about 1/4 inch thick. I wonder if through all those signatures and X's if you sign things that might make you criminally negligent. Knowing that guns would play a big part in the show I wonder if there were pages pertaining to the handling and mishandling of weapons. Only time will tell I guess.
    I was curious as to if the B camera operator who was looking through the camera lens when this happened would have sustained eye damage and other camera operators said that it would not have so I was glad to hear that.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    It was a REAL GUN! Don’t point it at someone and pull the trigger or if you’re willing to take that risk at least check for yourself what’s in it first.

Nothing anyone can ever say to me or write in this thread will change my mind on that. Not on a movie set or anywhere else, ever, unless you as the trigger puller are willing to take responsibility for the consequences.

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    What I find totally absurd, they were taking the "prop" guns out and shooting cans in the desert during lunch and breaks. Why would anyone allow any live ammo on a set?????? I realize I don't know any actors, but teaching them to open a revolver or check loads should be a skill they need to learn/know. But live ammo, what the heck???????

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Just read Baldwin turned up in Vermont. So much for don’t leave town.

Isn't Vermont a pretty "hands off" state when it comes to gun laws? Maybe he thought he would find more sympathetic people up there.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    What I find totally absurd, they were taking the "prop" guns out and shooting cans in the desert during lunch and breaks. Why would anyone allow any live ammo on a set?????? I realize I don't know any actors, but teaching them to open a revolver or check loads should be a skill they need to learn/know. But live ammo, what the heck???????

Because they aren't around guns very much, and they have silly laws..
    So when they are around them, they have to do weird stuff.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom