• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    We have a few here that frequent racetracks, or used to in their younger years. It seems like every weekend something would happen that was so crazy you’ll always remember it. So here’s a place to share a few.

I grew up with family members that raced, 3 of them every weekend. My first crazy memory was once at paragon I saw a sprint car flip out of turn 2 all the way off of the turns 3/4 banking. The engine came out, the floor came out, his legs were flailing around, arms hanging out of the car. I don’t remember what his injuries were, I was probably 8 or 9.

Another time, same track, I saw a sprint car go off turn 3, through the fence, and hit a car in the parking lot head on. They would allow fans to park right up to the fence and the parking lot is off of turns 3 and 4, so it was a matter of time. I believe now they have another layer of fence.

Once at Sullivan when they were still open, during the modified feature we were leading and a caution came out. They black flagged somebody, not sure why don’t really care. He refused to leave the track. Track officials drove a 4 wheeler out to try to steer him to the pits but he refused. Eventually, someone on his crew came flying out of the pits on their own 4 wheeler, doing laps around the track and spitting towards the officials and some of the drivers. This was all while the cars continued rolling around under yellow. We were worried we weren’t gonna make it on fuel, but we did. First feature win of the year that night.

Last one off the top of my head was at Terre haute dirt track. Was in the pits working on the car and a sprint car came flying over the turn 4 catch fence and into the pits about 30 feet from where we were working.

Remembered another. Not really an at the track moment more of a funny “we’re idiots” kind of moment. We won a feature race at Sullivan one night and on the way home ran out of gas with the car and trailer. My uncle has this bright idea to write on a poster board “feature winners, out of gas, please help” and stand on the side of the road holding the sign and trophy. Lots of honks but no help until a friend of ours from the track happened to pass by. Nothing like getting beat by a group that can’t remember to put gas in their rig.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    watched in the late 80's Sammy Swindell turn a hot lap at Bloomington speedway under 9.50 secs ...

it wasn't a record because the hot laps where over but Sammy engine was running like **** then they let him turn 3 laps after the hot laps.....

he come out of the pits flat footed it and never lifted!!!.....he was balls to the wall!!!

i think he was pissed at the engine and thought it will run or i'll blow the SOB up!!!

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    An after-wreck fight at Kitley back in the late 80s (I think), involving Kenny Sizemore and some poor nobody, schmuck.
    I watched as they both exited their newly fabricated paperweights and commenced fighting. Sizemore got the other guy in a headlock and was beating him like it was his job. It was so exciting to watch that I hardly noticed some fans around me fighting too. Not sure if they were fans or just letting the overpriced beer make bad decisions for them, either way, it made for some great memories of my younger days spent at various tracks.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    One time at Manzanita I saw Gas Man Griffin go out of the ballpark in turn one, barely miss our rental car, and hit the side of a motorhome, knocking a guy off the top and breaking his leg. That was pretty wild. I saw IndyCars and USAC Silver Crown cars on the track together in the same race at Pocono one year. But nothing tops seeing dad start 32nd and finish third in a literally cobbled-together old ****box car without a proper pit crew. They only changed right side tires once and the left side tires went all 500 miles. They literally went around Gasoline Alley borrowing whatever they could scrounge to get the car ready for the race. When we parked the family car before the race dad told us to remember where it was parked so we could meet there and get out ahead of traffic when the motor blew up. It didn’t and the rest is history. Stuff like that doesn’t happen today and will never happen again.

Last edited:

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I saw a guy called Kevin Ward who thought it would be a good idea to get out of his car so he could flip of Tony Stewart.

That was plain crazy....and stupid.

Mikey1911

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2014
    Newburgh
    One time at Manzanita I saw Gas Man Griffin go out of the ballpark in turn one, barely miss our rental car, and hit the side of a motorhome, knocking a guy off the top and breaking his leg. That was pretty wild. I saw IndyCars and USAC Silver Crown cars on the track together in the same race at Pocono one year. But nothing tops seeing dad start 32nd and finish third in a literally cobbled-together old ****box car without a proper pit crew. They only changed right side tires once and the left side tires went all 500 miles. They literally went around Gasoline Alley borrowing whatever they could scrounge to get the car ready for the race. When we parked the family car before the race dad told us to remember where it was parked so we could meet there and get out ahead of traffic when the motor blew up. It didn’t and the rest is history. Stuff like that doesn’t happen today and will never happen again.
    That was my first 500; most of the crashes were in front of us in the SW Vista. The sounds of Cosworths, DGSs, and Roger Rager’s pushrod Chevy. Bigger cheer for your dad finishing third than for JR winning.

Mikey1911

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2014
    Newburgh
    Craziest things I saw always happened in the racetrack campground, late at night. :whistle:
    There were one or two “big crazy” things going on in the sand traps on the old IMS infield golf course, on a long-ago pole day.

Last edited:

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    I think CM was crewchief at some of the big events back in the day. :rockwoot:

Modern%2BChariot.jpg

Mikey1911

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2014
    Newburgh
    I think CM was crewchief at some of the big events back in the day. :rockwoot:

Modern%2BChariot.jpg
    “Patrickus Vidanimus” waved the “wheeled flag” as Judah Ben-Hur won the “Jerusalem 18-stadia” race (led 2 of 9 laps).

Tribune Messala led 4 laps but dropped out with wheel failure after 8 laps.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I have seen tear gas thrown at snake pit spectators and the same tear gas thrown back at the horse patrol. A guy set down on his grill while the grill was making hot dogs, topless strippers dancing on vans. Cars burned. Couches burned. Scaffolding collapsed. Head rolling on track. The first 200 mph lap and qualifying round. Penske not making the field.

of all those weird off track speciations nothing compares to sun valley speedway (now Anderson speedway) figure 8 on the high banks stands over the years.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Indy infield:

Bright green car with 3 foot long phallus sticking out of the hood that shot water on passing spectators.

Totally naked women dancing on top of a concession stand while boyfriends passed around a hat taking up a collection.

Two drunks fighting until Sheriff's Deputy arrives on horseback and without dismounting ends the whole thing with two swings of his baton.

Last edited:

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    At mount lawn outside of new castle when I was a kid there was a guy they called Elmo who use to race with a cigar and his arm out the window like it was a Sunday drive. ( I guess it was cause races were Sunday night ) lol
    Them was the good old days.
    Shorty Henshaw , LJ Lines the Don Skaggs , Gene Prosser was my favorite in the modified cars .
    Can remember it like yesterday & that’s been 45-50yrs ago.
    I knew the family Bobby Cater who owned LJ Lines car and can remember going to the garage when they was working on the car and sitting in it while they worked on it , I was probably 7-8 yrs old .

Great times.

Last edited:

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    Again at Mt lawn , Can also remember they had races “run what you brung “ they were one on one races and seeing guys in really nice muscle cars and crashing in the short turn or over drive it out of the short turn and hit the wall. Oops !
    Idiots but was fun to see.

Last edited:

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I never got to experience the snake pit :(

I remember taking a friend to his first brickyard. About halfway through the race I looked over and he was actually sleeping, sitting upright in the seat with his head down and eyes closed. After the race I asked what he thought, he said “it isn’t the same as sleeping on the couch after the first few laps”. Believe it or not, he was completely sober... don’t know how someone could sleep with that amount of noise.

Was at north Vernon (which, if rumors are true might be closing after this season) watching dad run the modified in the feature when the entire tracks lights shut off. Talk about stressing, dirt tracks lighting sucks already, when the lights go out it’s pitch black. When the lights came on, nobody was mangled like I figured they would’ve been.

Racing in Danville, Illinois for a $10,000 to win modified race, uncle was leading most of the feature and had a flat left front. The left front never touched the ground under green, but with a handful of laps left a caution came out. Got black flagged for the flat, even tho it wasn’t going to effect anything. Talk about mad, I don’t think he ever went back to that track.

Saw a bomber flip at paragon and almost hit the flagstand.

At speedrome during the 3 hour figure 8, Fred bear got hit in the crossover and throttle stuck. He was unconscious after the collision and his car was wide open spinning in circles until the wall stopped him. Loaded him in the ambulance and only saw him there one time after that night... whether he ran other times I’m not sure but he wasn’t a full timer after that.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    When I was a kid my Dad took me to the track for the 1st time ever for practice.I think 1972 or 73 I was in my seat 10 minutes and saw Art Pollard killed and I mean right in front of me. Kinda ruined a great father son day.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Back when I was probably 6 or 7, we went to Anderson Speedway. On that particular night there was a midget race. Middle of the race, car came out of turn 4 and flipped. Somehow it ended up with the top of the roll cage hung in the fence. Dude was stuck in the car for a while until thwy could get things cut apart to get him out. I remember they had to bring in the fire dept to help cut things away.
    At that young age it kind of freaked me out.

Top Bottom