• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fantix

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Lawrence Co
    Does anyone have a recommendation for a 45 Colt rifle? A guy at the range last year let my girlfriend shoot his. She absolutely loved it! That's all she talked about on the way home. I'd like to stay in the 500-800 range if possible. A used gun is even an option.

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    A second vote for the Rossi, I've had one for a couple years now and it shoots great no issues or hiccups. Though you might think of switching to .44 because the ammo is cheaper, unless you're set on .45LC.

Fantix

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Lawrence Co
    A second vote for the Rossi, I've had one for a couple years now and it shoots great no issues or hiccups. Though you might think of switching to .44 because the ammo is cheaper, unless you're set on .45LC.
    I'll look into the .44. I figured if I got a .45LC I would reload. The guy said he reloaded his own ammo. Now I wished I would have asked what make the gun was that he had.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I have never shot one...but the Uberti I worked the action on at the NRA show was butter-smooth. Its what I plan on getting unless I go for a Winchester...which I probably won't due to cost.

I have a Rossi .357 as well and its nice...but not as butter-like as the Uberti I played with or my Henry .22 I have(apples to apples there? I don't know...just sayin')

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    That's a nice looking rifle! If I got something like that, it would take away from my NFA fund! Can't be having that!

I would like to see/handle one in person. I need to get out to some local shops to look around.

If you want an 1873 Winchester is making them again. You can get the real thing for the price of a fake.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    All good rifles, get a 44 mag if you don't reload or a 45LC if you do. Consider casting for either. On Marlin 44s the twist rate really doesn't support bullets much over 250 grains.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I have a Winchester Saddle Ring Carbine in 45 Colt, manufactured in the mid-80s. It is a big hit with my family, especially my 2 daughters.

p.s. It has a "hi-cap" magazine, holds 14 rounds with one up the pipe.

IndyLongColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    Morgan County
    If you're going 45 Colt and reloading, for cowboy loads most guns will be fine, but 45 Colt can be loaded pretty hot and not good for some 45 Colt guns. Something to consider...can be loaded near 44 Mag levels.

...never mind... too many windows open... thought I was posting somewhere else....:ugh:

Last edited:

jamesb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 5, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Depends on what you want to do with it, Rossi makes a good 1892 clone for the price point. A Henry Big boy is a solid rifle, have not heard any complaints about them. Both of those should be in your price range. You may be able to find a Browning 92 or Winchester 94 but I do not think you can touch those for under a $1000.00. Cimarron and Taylors both import 92 and 73 clones, most made by uberti. I have Taylors uberti 1873 and I love it. Wife has the same in 357. The new 73 Winchesters, which I think are made in Japan, have very good fit and finish and the lever is smooth, but just because you license the name doesn't make it a real Winchester. You could troll the CAS sites, a lot of people are selling their 45's to fund 357s.

Top Bottom